Digital SLRs?

nairb49

Thanks for the suggestion Joelz. But the 85 1.8 won't autofocus on the d3100.

aaaah the cream machine, great lens.

What exactly do you need the 85 1.4 for though? I mean its a great lens but kind of limiting in my opinion. Its the best for bokeh but there are other lens' that will give you some dreamy shots.

Can you suggest some for me :)? I think I need to sell my girlfriend in order to buy the 85mm 1.4

The 50mm 1.4 G is reasonably priced, I think around 500 bucks. The pic's I posted above were taken with it. It will give you an equivalent focal length of 75mm and thats perfect for portraits. It will also auto focus on your d3100.

The Canon 10-22 is a very good lens. It's noticeably sharper than the f/4-5.6 version of the Sigma while its marginally sharper than the f/3.5 version. A problem with the Sigmas is flare, the Canon handles flare very well.

Check out The Digital Picture for sample pics, reviews, and comparisons.

Overall, the slower version of the Sigma is a good budget UWA while the Canon is just one of the best UWA for crop sensors.

i just dont know if i can justify the extra price for basically one trip. other option is not to get one at all...

seems like reviews are mixed. some say the sigma is equal to the canon other than the for the flares. that seems to be said on every site ive read.

I have the siggy version for Nikon and love it for travel and landscapes. It handles flare "ok" and you can correct some of it in PS. I found that unless I was shooting directly into the sun I could control it fairly well actually. I'm guessing it would be the same for the canon variant. I say go for it man it's def a great lens to have in your bag for versatility.

Hey guys, does anyone have an out-of-warranty, broken Canon that's taking up space? Been looking through Craigslist and half the dudes don't realize it's the garage sale lot of the internet and charge far too much for their broken stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Nikon D5000 < Nikon D3100 < Canon EOS 550D < Nikon D90 < Nikon D7000

am i right ladies and gents?...

I think the D5000 > D3100. But, I think you should upgrade 2 generations higher than your current model. That would be the D7000. I wouldn't suggest getting the D90, unless you find a cheap one.

I honestly would suggest getting prime lens. I usually get lens under 2.8. Such a big range in a lens tends to lose quality in the pictures, like the 18-200. If you are going to get a D90 and D7000, you can try out the 85 1.8 or 50mm 1.8 lens for low-light conditions. If you are into wide angle lens, get the Tokina 11-16 2.8.

Any opinions on a decent entry level lens for the Canon Rebel XTi? I'd be doing mostly daytime street shots & some portrait type photos too. I really have no technical photography background, any heads up would be appreciated.

If you are into Canon, get the 550D or 600D or 60D. If you get a beginner DLSR, you will be limited to its capabilities quickly. Try get a mid-range DSLR. So you are able to grow and learn. Good portrait and street photography lens are the 50mm and 24mm.