Digital SLRs?

nairb49

Nikon > Canon.

Since the Film Days.

Want HD? Buy a Camcorder.

Ok. HD video isn't a big deal. Just thought it was a bonus.

When you say Nikon>Canon, in what way is this true? Would a D90 take better pictures or have more features than a T2i in drastic way? It it overall build quality of the product that Nikon does better.

The 18 megapixels on the T2i is another big sell point for me. As opposed to 12 on the D90.

megapixels don't matter - it's really the image quality/sensor. you know, unless you are planning on printing massive (and i mean massive) prints.

Best thing you should do is check out how each of the models feel in your hand. You can also look for image quality, especially in low light situations. I use a D90 so you can check my flickr if you want to.

Nikon vs Canon is an age-old debate, there's no right answer and there never will be. People just side with whichever brand they own, which is fine. They're both great brands.

As for HD, its quickly becoming the new standard for upper level consumer cameras so its definitely something worth thinking about. Just know that you don't need to be a wannabe filmmaker to take advantage of the HD video. Sometimes its nice to grab some good looking video for a chance happening, or even to take your still shot one step further by allowing movement within the frame (as in the case of a waterfall or something like that).

megapixels don't matter - it's really the image quality/sensor. you know, unless you are planning on printing massive (and i mean massive) prints.

Best thing you should do is check out how each of the models feel in your hand. You can also look for image quality, especially in low light situations. I use a D90 so you can check my flickr if you want to.

How does having a 12 megapixel camera limit you as opposed to a T2i with 18 megapixels? I'm not sure I'll ever blow up a picture past something like 12x10.

And where is the best place to find information on lenses on the internet? Any recommendations on a kit lens or something that will at least get me started so I can figure out what kind of nice lens I'd like to invest in?

Best thing you should do is check out how each of the models feel in your hand.

doc, this ^ advice is perfect for your situation. first thing you should do.

oh, and the d90 does offer hd video. 720p. unless you are a semi-pro or wannabe film maker, 720p is damn good enough for you. especially with the cool added feature of being able to use the lens to focus (which is unavailable on lower level camcorders).

ps. try and ignore nostalgic. he sometimes says good stuff, but most of what he says seems pretty elitist and all around unhelpful.

canon vs nikon - agreed - just get whichever one feels better and you can get the best deal on... but personally, i'd rather get the one WITH HD video (why would you want to carry around a separate camcorder?!?)...

more important than the body - get some good glass - that will make the biggest difference.

How does having a 12 megapixel camera limit you as opposed to a T2i with 18 megapixels? I'm not sure I'll ever blow up a picture past something like 12x10.

And where is the best place to find information on lenses on the internet? Any recommendations on a kit lens or something that will at least get me started so I can figure out what kind of nice lens I'd like to invest in?

I had the T2i and the 18 megapixels were certainly great for cropping or blowing up big prints. The downfall is the size of the files are much bigger and take up more space and my computer wasn't the quickest.

I have a 5D Mark II after getting a great deal and I find myself shooting with the sRAW 10mp option (small raw) for smaller files. The biggest I print is 8x10

If you are printing at 300dpi,

4x6 = 2.2 MP

5x7 = 3.2 MP

8x10 = 7.2 MP

11x14 = 13.9 MP

13x17 = 20 MP

If you're looking for Canon, POTN has a great lens archive where you can find many shots from almost every Canon mount (Canon and 3rd party) lenses. THREAD HERE.

I'm unsure about Nikon but I'm sure you can find good info on Flickr or Amazon.

As for the Nikon vs Canon debate, both are capable of taking great pictures and the battle will never end. I liked Canon because more prime lens variety and many different versions of lenses for cheaper options.

Nikons D90 body is much better built than the T2i. The T2i and all Rebel bodies are beginner bodys comparable to the D3000, D5000 line. The D90 has a body simliar to Canon's XXD line (40D, 50D, 60D).

Rambled a bit but I hope that helps.

PS- Do not buy the T2i/7D/5D Mark II for video. It is a great option and you can get some great movies but here are the cons:

- Focusing is difficult to learn. Really difficult. Don't expect to be shooting stuff like the season finale of House unless you plan on spending thousands of dollars on video equipment.

- My T2i would overheat after 20-30 minutes of straight recording.

Those two reasons alone is why I picked up a Kodak Playsport to record videos. Its not practical to hold a heavy DSLR when these cheap pocket cams that shoot 1080p or 720p 60FPS are only $120. The playsport can record underwater too.

The Megapixel Myth: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

The Truth about Megapixels: http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/11/21/21pogues-posts-2/

Basically, more megapixels != immediately better camera. What you really need is a better sensor (see this: http://gizmodo.com/5155942/giz-explains-why-more-megapixels-isnt-always-more-better) and that's where things are going to matter the most. I'm not going to discourage from getting a Canon or anything like that, I'm just going to say that you shouldn't immediately assume that because 1 camera has a higher megapixel count its immediately better.

As for Nikon reviews you can check out www.kenrockwell.com and www.dpreview.com.

Also dubgiant90 summed stuff up pretty well.

fvir0z.gif

Nikon vs Canon is an age-old debate, there's no right answer and there never will be. People just side with whichever brand they own, which is fine. They're both great brands.

As for HD, its quickly becoming the new standard for upper level consumer cameras so its definitely something worth thinking about. Just know that you don't need to be a wannabe filmmaker to take advantage of the HD video. Sometimes its nice to grab some good looking video for a chance happening, or even to take your still shot one step further by allowing movement within the frame (as in the case of a waterfall or something like that).

truth spoken here. I've actually ended up using 550D to record video several times, including a couple of runway shows. zooming and focusing is a bit of challenge, but the video quality is good.

with regular use, it doesn't limit you in any way. a 12MP camera is perfectly cabable of taking magazine quality shots.

as for lenses, this is a good resource: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/

and this remains my pick for the best all around lens you can get on a Canon.

does anyone have any experience with the voigtlander ultron 40mm f/2 lens? (http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/263-voigtlander-ultron-40mm-f2-ii-nikon-mount-review--test-report) - i'm thinking about that or maybe a 50mm f/1.4

Or just getting the new d7000 whenever it actually gets announced

I actually just got the Ultron 40mm for my 550D recently but haven't had time to go out and use it besides the test shots I took right when I got it. Suffice to say the image quality is superb and the build quality feels very sturdy - seems like a metal build aside from the plastic caps. The real issues you need to consider are 1) whether you're ok with 40mm since it's not quite 50mm but not quite something much wider. And 2) whether you're ok with the lack of autofocus since its a strictly manual lense. Personally I didn't have a problem with those aspects and I find it valuable as a really compact lens.

Anyway hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

just got my first tripod too. It's one of those things that you want to only buy once, so I opted for a gitzo (to hold my 7d)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039YP16C

and I paired it with this head because it was less than half retail and I read some people not being happy with their basalt ball heads

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CL8K6C

Anyway I'm extremely happy with it so far, however, it's only been a few weeks.

everything is here

http://www.gitzo.com/product/72038.71837.72054.0.0/GT2830/_/Series_2_6X_Basalt_4-section_Tripod_with_G-Lock

except the picture is correct, it's a 3-section, though it says a 4 section tripod. It wont fit in my backpack but it's light enough. I chose a 3 section for better rigidity

by the way, what kind of bag are you guys carrying your shit around in?

this doesn't look bad

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/sling-pack-cl58032

but I'm not into the sling so much, just can't find a back pack I like. Most of them are for like 3 bodies and 12 lenses. I need something to carry my body + 2 lens', external HD, and then have a separate compartment for textbook/laptop etc. I don't feel comfortable just tossing the camera in just any bag.

Any ideas?

is gitzo really as good as the price tag says? i feel like buying a sturdy, carbon fibre tripod and head for around $200 would last a long damn time. but i really have no idea, i haven't researched tripods much. i'm too busy saving up for my $200+ battery set up :/ damn batteries and chargers are expensive.

question for sufu; i'm looking for something to organize all my shit, and bring with me to shoots. was thinking of a rolling bag, maybe this or this. saw a video of harry how and he just made shit look so organized in it. dunno, what do you guys think?

it's expensive, but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Not to say a $20 tripod won't get the job done, I've used those too.

I have a feeling that after plenty of heavy use it will still feel new, it's built very well.

And about the bags, I have my eye on these 2 but I'm not sure the best way to cary my dslr in them

this one from Lexdray which isn't available until Feb '11 and something like $250+

http://www.lexdray.com/

lexdraboulderpaack.jpg

and this tactical gear bag $100

rush24backpack.jpg

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/Accessories/Bags-Backpacks/RUSH-24-Backpack/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10900:10905/I/58601

for those who mess with video on the 7d,

i have some crucial questions to ask. one, i recently installed final cut express for my black macbook (2.4GHz core 2 duo), reason being is because i was told that you aren't able to install final cut pro for video card reasons? also i added 2gb of RAM if that helps any. i really just want to start off with final cut pro so i don't have to want it later down the line when i'm as sik as jake davis. so, do you need a mbp to run final cut pro?

two, i'm having some problems importing my clips into final cut express. i've been shooting at 60fps (1280x720) and using a sequence size of the same (1280x720). why does the quality seem off and why are there black bars on the top and bottom on the canvas?

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoy using my 5d2. I don't have a problem with banding. And if I miss focus it's usually a mistake on my end. I don't push it to 6400 very often but the photos are more than useable. Last week I took some photos at a friends birthday party, I shot everything between 1600-3200 without batting an eye. They look great with no NR whatsoever and if I want to clean them up a bit I just add a touch of NR in lightroom. Hope that helps.