Digital SLRs?

nairb49

canon or nikon... it is just a personal preference...like how it feels in your hand and the placement of the buttons. both have similarly priced lenses, the best value one being the 50 1.8 one i think. though u should also look at pentax kx. I heard it beats all the other big brands in terms of value for money for the quality.

i bought my pentax kx around december, amazon was having pretty good deals for it, ended up pulling the trigger for about $600, kit lens, and a 16gb class 6 SD card.

a couple weeks later amazon totally dropped the price, i emailed them and got a 'one time rebate' for $60.

i had been doing my 'research', going the stores to see what felt comfortable, i just couldn't decide between canon or nikon so i went with pentax. ended up getting the pentax smc fa 50mm f/1.4 for $260 off pentaxforums, i could've gotten it for a bit less, but i was anxious.

here's so pictures, both taken with the iphone:

IMG_0191.jpg - kit lens

IMG_0243.jpg - 50mm

here's some pictures taken with the kx equipped with the 50mm, all auto, i'm still trying to figure out manual.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48659887@N05/sets/

i never shoot full manual unless i want to do something out of the ordinary.

aperture priority mode is what i shoot at 90% of the time, and it's fairly straightforward. you pick your f stop to control your depth of field and then the camera chooses your shutter speed (& sometimes ISO depending on settings) in order to expose the image correctly.

would anyone recommend a nikon or a canon as a person's first dslr in terms of the affordability of quality lenses? I'm not talking about pro-grade sub-$1000, but ones that are good and a step above your simple kit lens

From personal experience shooting Nikon and borrowing Canons, I can say that for the same price/segment, Nikon lenses feel like they are made from higher quality materials. The Nikon zooms seem to turn more smoothly and evenly and the primes handle a little better.

I don't really know exactly what Canon has to offer, but the 35mm/1.8 from Nikon is a great little lens for $200. Other than that, 10-24 DX, 50/1.4 AF-S and maybe a superzoom like the 18-200mm, I don't know that I'd recommend any other mid-range lenses. Nikon pro glass is high-quality and retains its value well in the used market, so I'd save up and get something like that you could use for a while and resell later if needed

hey guys right now I shoot with a nikon D60 and the kit 18-55mm and a 55-200mm. I've noticed over the last year or so I really don't like carrying multiple lenses and might want to consolidate this into one zoom with a wide range. I'm also going to be in Hong Kong/China/Korea for about 3 months in the summer interning and doing some traveling and I want to be able to shoot around without lugging a bag with me at all times. I think i find myself shooting mostly between 35 and I want to say 135 currently. Would trading both lenses in and paying for an 18-200 be a good move? I've read some mixed reviews so I can't decide if it's worth the cost, or any other lenses you guys can suggest would be great. Thanks!

hey guys right now I shoot with a nikon D60 and the kit 18-55mm and a 55-200mm. I've noticed over the last year or so I really don't like carrying multiple lenses and might want to consolidate this into one zoom with a wide range. I'm also going to be in Hong Kong/China/Korea for about 3 months in the summer interning and doing some traveling and I want to be able to shoot around without lugging a bag with me at all times. I think i find myself shooting mostly between 35 and I want to say 135 currently. Would trading both lenses in and paying for an 18-200 be a good move? I've read some mixed reviews so I can't decide if it's worth the cost, or any other lenses you guys can suggest would be great. Thanks!

As mentioned, the 35mm would be a great choice to have at night and for maximal portability.

I guess when you say 18-200, you mean the VR because I would only recommend the VR, the non-VR is too slow on the long end for most applications. Overall, it is a very useful lense, but you might feel overwhelmed with it's size and weight on the smaller D40/60 body. If at all possible, try going to a local camera store or Ritz and see if they will let you mount a show lens up to your camera and try it out. See how you like the weight and the zooming--eventhough it is approximately the same dimensions as the 55-200VR, I remember it weighing more than twice as much.

A cheaper option would be the 18-105mm VR, which is the kit lens on the D90. It's a nice lens with a bit of distortion on the wide end, but the zooming and AF-S with manual override are both nice. New ones sells on ebay for ~$250, whereas the 18-200VR retails for over $700 and the used ones on ebay are usually still around $550-600.

I guess when you say 18-200, you mean the VR because I would only recommend the VR, the non-VR is too slow on the long end for most applications.

Don't think Nikon's ever made a non-VR 18-200mm. There's a VR and a VR II, the only significant difference being that the newer one has a zoom lock.

And I agree, the 18-105mm is a solid option if you don't need as much reach.

^thanks guys I'll probably drop by my local camera shop and try out the 18-200, the D60 body with the 55-200 is already pretty off balance. Anything besides the 18-105 you recommend as an alternative? Doesn't have to be nikon just a good all around shooter for walking.

I thought there was, maybe it was just 28-200mm

I would say that you should spend your money on Nikon lenses because they retain value and overall are made better than comparable units from 3rd party makers. I think the other options like the 18-135 (too slow, no VR) 16-85 VR (overpriced, same $ as 18-200VR) or any of these mid-range DX zooms don't offer the combination of utility and value that the 18-105VR and 18-200VR have.

I also really like the 18-105VR, but I travel light now and find the 35mm to be pretty good for almost everything I shoot. However, I think that the best thing to do is not listen to us on the interwebs but to go to a store and try it out. And if it's a local mom-and-pop shop, buy it form them if you can spare the extra money because they might have saved you hundreds on a lens you might've regret buying

Don't think Nikon's ever made a non-VR 18-200mm. There's a VR and a VR II, the only significant difference being that the newer one has a zoom lock.

And I agree, the 18-105mm is a solid option if you don't need as much reach.

thanks again guys I'll go this weekend and try out some lenses. I bought my camera from a small place called Bromfield cameras in downtown boston so I'll probably just go back there they're really helpful and supporting the little guys is always nice.

• 3 weeks later...
what happened to your d90? there's some rumors of a new d90-successor (http://nikonrumors.com/2010/04/15/rumors-started-flowing-3-new-nikon-dlsr-in-the-pipeline.aspx)

d90-successor sounds perfect.

i sold my d90 with the intent to upgrade to full-frame but the more i think about it, i'd rather go with a medium-format film camera and a aps-c/dx sensor for a dslr.

Evil: if you plan on staying with DX prices on the 300s have been already going down..

Also ive been seeing the 17-55 af-s go for around 850-900 consistently, everyone going to full frame I guess..still looking out for a 70-200

I just dont see myself going to full frame anytime soon. my 17-55 + fuji S5 have been a great combo for me

^I was planning on getting the 35mm prime for the rather rare times I need a faster aperture and want a higher quality image but I'd just use the 18-200 to leave on and carry

I think it'll probably be the opposite - you'll end up leaving the 35mm on most of the time and pull out the bigger lens on those 'other' occasions!