Digital SLRs?

nairb49

Random thought:

Is the on camera flash every actually useful (for something other than snapshots)? I was at a concert last night and saw people using it, it doesn't seem like it really helps...

Is the on camera flash every actually useful (for something other than snapshots)?

Built-in (direct) flash is generally terrible if you want anything that looks even close to natural. That said, you could use it for outdoor fill light in a pinch (i.e. not as a main light source), or try to diffuse it or bounce it with a business card or something. Still doesn't beat an external flash, though.

what wide-angle do you use? i was looking at the tokina 11-16 before but it's still mighty expensive when the 35mm does most of what i need it to do.

no idea since i've never owned one but never confuse photo taking skills with the price of a camera. i think i've taken my best photos with a nikon d40 and the kit lense. and on the second day i got it.

so basically any cam is good since I'm just starting out?

Its so funny cause its like that MAC VS PC thing all over again. LOL!

ghettokids,

you gotta factor in which brand you want yo get. if you go with canon, you should stick with canon unless you're filthy rich because in the future you would want to upgrade your lenses before upgrading your body. just thought i'd share that with you :) canon rebel xs is good enough for beginner, in terms of canon..

ghettokids,

you gotta factor in which brand you want yo get. if you go with canon, you should stick with canon unless you're filthy rich because in the future you would want to upgrade your lenses before upgrading your body. just thought i'd share that with you :) canon rebel xs is good enough for beginner, in terms of canon..

ok cool.

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

fuckkk my nikon SB600 is not working properly.. i have brand new batteries in it and only the screen will light up. no text or anything shows up on the screen, nor will it fire off a flash, its just a green backlit screen.

anyone deal with this problem before?

i just got so tempted to get a new camera, think i'll pull the trigger soon on a nikon d90, need to get better use of my 50mm

how bad is a refurbished one on ebay?

They're a bit over a year old, so there may not be much available - everyone who has one (including me) seems to really be enjoying it, but it could be worth a look.

desperately need a new dslr. was looking into the micro 4/3 system but i think i'll just stick with a nikon or something.

d90 again? or wait a little bit...?

I like the concept of the 4/3 system but I don't think the trade off of size/price (especially with the new EP-2 being announced and being virtually the same price as the D90) is really worth the other issues (ISO performance, autofocus/stabilization issues, cost of accessories) - so personally I'd say go for the d90, it's pretty incredible

^Get a used d90 or d5000 @ sgd 1000-ish. I got my d5000 with kit lens and everyelse with box that way.

Also easier to change lenses...I dunno if pentax requires special mounts for 3rd party lenses etc.

As long as the third party lens is built for a pentax mount then it isn't needed, unless its a really old lens an m42 (i think) then you need an adapter. Companies like Sigma, Tamron, etc. make lenses for everyon from Canikon to pentax.

So, I know that SLR bags have been discussed before, but I'm looking for something more specific. I am gearing up for winter, which means lots of snowboarding. I was out of the country last winter so it wasn't an issue, but I'm back now so I want to take my camera with me as much as possible. I currently have a Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW, but am looking for something a little more sturdy and secure. Anyone have any experience photographing outdoor winter activities? What would you recommend for some pretty intense riding/hiking/movement in general? Thanks in advance...

In my experience, compacts that fit in the pocket work much better for active sports like snowboarding and skiing where there is plenty of natural light. SLR's are great for difficult lighting conditions with low noise and fast lenses, but when you are in broad daylight, the slower lenses and smaller sensors don't make as much of a difference.

I have, however, taken a manual film camera with a 50/1.8 to ski since both are cheaply replaceable if something were to happen.

In my experience, compacts that fit in the pocket work much better for active sports like snowboarding and skiing where there is plenty of natural light. SLR's are great for difficult lighting conditions with low noise and fast lenses, but when you are in broad daylight, the slower lenses and smaller sensors don't make as much of a difference.

I have, however, taken a manual film camera with a 50/1.8 to ski since both are cheaply replaceable if something were to happen.

samsungsc-x300l.jpg

3-25-08-joshhill_gopro.jpg

nikon d200 =) only $600

I was thinking a compact would be better as well, but unfortunately I don't have a quality compact atm... Maybe by later this winter I'll be able to get my hands on a good one.

Not really looking for motion shots either, but thanks for the tips Music for the Masses... I did get my hands on a Burton pro from card though, I can get one of their new camera bags for a really good price so that's my #1 option right now.

is it a good idea to buy a new camera off eBay? or am I just better off buying it at retail store?

If it's a legit deal, which usually means the type of kit you would get from a retail store or the manufacture itself you should be ok. Body+lens+battery+accessories. But, don't fall for the "kits" that come with cheap tripods and other items because they are usually trying to scam people for as much $$ as they can.

So, I know that SLR bags have been discussed before, but I'm looking for something more specific. I am gearing up for winter, which means lots of snowboarding. I was out of the country last winter so it wasn't an issue, but I'm back now so I want to take my camera with me as much as possible. I currently have a Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW, but am looking for something a little more sturdy and secure. Anyone have any experience photographing outdoor winter activities? What would you recommend for some pretty intense riding/hiking/movement in general? Thanks in advance...

just saw this and thought of your post :

500x_exg1-1.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5407299/casios-ex+g1-super-slim-shooter-shock+resistant-and-waterproof?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmodo%2Ffull+%28Gizmodo%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

<sorry, but this should be in the non-dslr thread>