Digital SLRs?

nairb49

Okay so now I really need to buy a new dSLR, my KM is falling apart...

Would you guys recommend getting a new Sony? I've been to the stores and checked out the new models(a230, a330, a380) and none of them are very impressive...I actually like my KM more than them... Should I spend more and get the A700 which is based off the old KM7 model or just jump ship to another company? And if I gotta jump ship do you guys recommend any cameras? I've been looking at Nikons and Canons.

• 2 weeks later...
50/1.4 is always a good option. What are your primary uses for the lens going to be?

i think using a prime only helps each user decide what type of lense to get next. i had an 18-55mm, and then i switched to an 18-200mm and didn't really use it above 80mm. when i upgraded to a nikon d90, i just chose the 50mm f1.8 and that helped me decide that i would get more use out of a wider lense like the tokina 11-16mm.

idk what canon makes, but a 28-35mm, f/~2.0 fast prime would be a better choice for a crop sensor DSLR because this is wide enough that you can actually shoot comfortably indoors around people without having to strain your back leaning so far back for framing.

But of course the 50mm will be much cheaper since they've been making those for like 75 years.

Sigma 30mm f1.4

It's relatively cheap and decently sharp although no 400D means no micro-adjustments which is sometimes crucial for this lens cause many people complain of un-sharp copies.

30mm on a crop (it is an APC-S lens though) comes in at 48mm which is quite close to 50mm.

• 1 month later...

im a n00b @ this though

fucking ridiculous. i can buy a t1i in the japland for the price xsi here in the US.

50D is too balla status.

i'd get a used 20d or 30d if I were you, 40d if you've got a lil bit more to put into it. i've got a 30d and don't really think i need something else. i had a 400d/xti before, and it looks and feels like a toy compared to it.

If the T1i and XSi are close in price, go for the T1i. The XSi performs just a tiny bit better, iirc, but I was a sucker for the video. It'll depend on whether your prefer that over a slight gain in picture quality.

Isn't it called the KISS or something in japland?

Hate how the Rebels just get smaller and smaller though. Buying the grip was a godsend.

i'd get a used 20d or 30d if I were you, 40d if you've got a lil bit more to put into it. i've got a 30d and don't really think i need something else. i had a 400d/xti before, and it looks and feels like a toy compared to it.

do 20d / 30d perform better than xsi?

i guess they feel and look better because they are pro-use DSLRs.

isn't the technology in xsi recent enough to compensate for the difference?

once again. sorry for my n00bness

Well the xsi is newer so it has more megapixels (good and bad) and a better processor compared to the 20/30d. The added megapixels may create more noise at a higher iso.

But overall I think it comes down to feel, whichever camera feels better is the one you should get. Also the 20/30d are fairly old compared to the xsi, so a better used camera option would be the 40d.

do 20d / 30d perform better than xsi?

i guess they feel and look better because they are pro-use DSLRs.

isn't the technology in xsi recent enough to compensate for the difference?

once again. sorry for my n00bness

on the paper the xsi might sound better. it sure has live view (like compact cameras), a new image processor, dust removal... but do those things really matter ?

on the other side, the 30d has extendable iso (for low lights), can go up to 1/8000s (the xsi can do 1/4000s), has a larger pentaprism viewfinder (xsi has a pentamirror), better battery and is made of magnesium/plastic which feels better and is sturdier than xsi's inox/polycarbonate. when you take pictures, that is what really matters.

even by the viewfinder, i couldn't go back to the rebel serie. i'd rather have a 20d than a T1i. once you go semi-pro you can't go back.

i know that when you start photography you think about the novelty issue and look at specs carefully. when i chose the canon xti when it was released as my first dslr, i wasn't ready for a 20d because it looked very out of date to me, but if i had to make the same choice again i'd go for the 20d because it feels like a camera, not like a toy.

i went to a bestbuy today to test some cameras

the rebel series all feel extremely cheap. i guess it's a good entry level camera but it's not sturdy at all.

i saw some nikons and i actually liked them better.

i'm thinking of getting D3000.

everyone is totally gay for canons but i sorta liked the nikons better...

usually we talk about cameras we know, and i don't know Nikon's camera much. but all i know is that the d80 and d300 are very good cameras. don't get the d40/60, they don't have internal autofocus and though being sturdy, have a toy-ish graphical interface and specs.