Digital SLRs?

nairb49

a350 or rebel xsi...leaning more towards the alpha even though i know right now sony is just getting into the dslr game. did the research and even though sony doesnt offer as many lenses as cannon/nikon, im a broke ass college student who doesnt plan on buying different lenses, at least not for a while. so the a350, is my logic sound?

sony makes some nice cameras, but you really should go with Nikon or Canon. Nikon and Canon offer more options if you plan to move up and they really make better cameras and lenses. Money is relative, idk how much the a350 is but it can't be much cheaper than the similar offerings from the two majors

wasn't big on the alpha when i got to play around with my friend who had her dad's for the weekend. Maybe i was just too use to my Nikon, but i didin't like the ergonomics of it and kinda had to adjust a lot to get what i wanted. Don't buy on the internet, go and try them at the camera store.

I just got 3 Canon 50mm 1.8 IIs and 3 50mm 1.4 USMs for a total of $133 shipped off Amazon. The order seems good so far, hoping this shit goes through.

Just got the 500D body as well. Switched over from Nikon so I can use my dad's good lenses. One thing always disappointed me about Canon's plastic bodies was how they felt so cheap and toy-like. The same goes for the 500D, the body looks and feels so cheap compared to the plastics Nikon use.

what's an awesome canon lens for indoor and low light shots? my nifty fifty is too tight for indoors and the crappy kit lens is too slow :( shooting with a 40d

Sigma 30mm f1.4

Nothing beats it relative to price. APC-S lens though.

• 3 weeks later...

I know the mirror doesn't effect the pic. at all, but still I don't like the fact I see dust when I look through the view finder.....how do you guys clean the mirror?

So I'm thinking of upgrading soon. I am currently in the Konica Minolta/Sony family(boy am I gonna get shit for this, haaa.)

But when I was in Tokyo a few weeks ago visiting the pops I saw the new Sony models. I'm interested in buying the Alpha 330. Opinions?

Also, the bronze body is dope as fuck. I've got a fair amount of Konica Minolta/Sony lenses to swap in and out with the new body so I think it should be sick.

I shoot with a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D right now. Old as fuck, but yo still takes dope pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

depends what you are shooting. If landscapes and the like, then the wide angle will be better. If you are shooting wildlife/flowers, then the tele will come in handy. I usually try to carry only one lens and body if I am hiking and shooting, it's just a pain in the ass to carry more stuff and have to switch lenses.

Primes are often difficult to use because you don't always have the ability to move around when you are on a trail to get closer/further from your subject and in broad daylight you'll have to stop down anyway which will defeat the main point of shooting a fast prime. So unless you plan on taking photos around the camp fire or in really low light at dawn or dusk, it might not be worth carrying around.

If it were me, I would just carry the 10-20.

I'm going to hawaii in a week and taking a guided photography camping/hike. Want to pack light, so which lenses? 18-200, 10-20 are def in. maybe a 30/1.4, but i dont know if it's worth luggin around. any advice?

I'd vote for the 18-200, it doesn't do as well in low light but its the most versatile by far - covers all of the other ranges (its obvious not as wide as the 10-20 but still almost hits it).

I went to Brazil for 10 days and just took my 18-105, worked out great for me.