Digital SLRs?

nairb49

hm yea you're the second person to tell me that although a handful of reviews said the 40/60 outperformed the 80 in certain respects. Can anyone give me insight on the 18-55, 18-70, and 18-135 lenses in terms of best for just overall every day shooting? I'm honestly not sure where the best place would be for asking these questions on the forum or if this thread is fine...

does anyone have the remote for the D40/40x/60? I've heard it's crappy b/c the sensors on the back of the camera, not the front. i don't want it just for WAYWTs, but i would like to use it from places other than directly behind the camera... any input? thanks

since nikon and canon frog jump each other's camera lineups, you'd be looking at a step down to the d90 or a step up to the d300/d700. or just get the same thing: 50d/5dmkii. the d90 isn't as well made as the 50d, but it's definitely not plasticky like the d60 or xsi.

i think the d40 is great if you don't plan on getting too interested in photography. I feel that most people will want the ability to autofocus on more lenses and will eventually upgrade. The D80 is probably the best compromise of cost and efficiency. The Upgrade between the D40 and higher is a bigger gap than a D80 to anything higher. makes sense to keep the d80 for good if you're a hobbyist but still want access to AF with more lens choices w/o shelling out the extra cash.

its true, but more expensive. The new 50mm AF-S at f 1.4 is $440 where i think most people could be satisfied with the 50mm f 1.8 at $110 if it were AF-S.

if we're talking about buying prime lenses for the d40, there's the new 35/1.8 af-s for $200, which is a normal lens on aps-c. i would only recommend the 50/1.4 af-s if you got a d700.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anybody recommend a wide angle lense which isn't too pricey? I have a 50mm prime and had to sell the rest of my lenses to cover some other stuff.

Looking for something wider than an 18mm.

The Nikon 12-24mm is pretty expensive... If I were you I'd check out the Sigma 10-20mm. Popular lens, and pretty sharp if you get a good copy.