Digital SLRs?

nairb49

Yeh I've heard Sigma 30 is great but may provide some headaches if you don't get a good copy to begin with which may require you to send it away for collaboration. The lens seems notorious for focusing issues.

How big is the lens ericdw? I routinely have the 17-55 mm f2.8 on my 50D which is by no means portable so anything would be easier to carry around.

i'm not familiar with the 17-55, but the 30 is a monster for that focal length. 77mm filter size. i guess it's necessarily big b/c of HSM. no idea about canons, but i'm guessing you could get something smaller on the 50D (doesn't that have an internal AF motor?).

also, isn't there a notoriously amazing canon 30mm 1.4f? or is the one i'm thinking about a 50mm?

In terms of focal length in and around 30 mm, the Sigma is heaps cheaper and just as good if not better then the equivalent Canon offerings. I guess I'll have to check it out in person to get an accurate grasp.

People say its bulky, but I have no problems with it, I was using a 35L and THAT is bulky.

I get hit and miss focus @ 1.4, but once youre at f1.8/2 its tack sharp and bokeh is nice. My only complaint is that I wish it had closer MFD when Im taking photos of food

isn't the 18-55 stock with the kit?

From my understanding, there are options for both and seem to be similarly priced. Honestly I will probably buy the body used and then buy one of the two lenses new. They are also really affordable which I kind of need plus I'm just starting out really and don't need anything too nice (yet). Also, I read a couple more reviews and changed my mind - I'll probably go with the 18-55.

Got a Nikon D300 for xmas. Haven't picked up a camera since 2003, when digital stuff was getting affordable. Am rather excited. It's great to have the instant gratification of being able to see your pics immediately, but I will miss the fun of developing film and prints at home. Does anyone else have fond memories hours spent under the duvet spooling film into a dev canister, or smelling like a chip shop half the time?

So anyway my current kit is:

D300

F100 (may as well retire this)

FM2

50mm f1.8 AF

70-300mm f4-5.6 AF

28-85mm f3.5-5.6 + macro (manual)

My original system was the FM2+28-85. The FM2 is a sick sick camera. Fully manual, it has a load of little extras, like a prism in the head of the camera that reflects the f stop setting on the lens into the viewfinder. It is properly tough, light and only requires batteries for the light-meter, making it great for outdoors activities like hiking. It also has a max shutter speed of 1/4000, which is great for a camera that uses a manual wind on. Only downside is no spot metering (only center weighted).

Entertainingly, the 28-85 lens works fine with the D300; it can even detect the relative position of the aperture ring (if not the absolute f value). I love the backward compatibility of Nikon; the lens must be around 20 years old.

So, I need a new lens for wide angle stuff. Am considering

20mm f2.8 D

16mm f2.8 D

I'm keen on being able to use a new lens with the fm2, which means it must have a manually adjustable aperture. It seems that most zooms in the range 18-70 ish don't have this property.

Also, can anyone recommend a thorough and technical book on the mechanics of digital photography? Something that goes into detail about things like what the iso setting corresponds to in terms of noise/contrast, explains white balance, details how to take infra red pictures and other geeky shit. Also any recommendations of books for the digital darkroom would be much appreciated.

i really didn't give it any thought until a friend of mine showed me some deal where you can pick up the 20d for 500.

is trading my xti worth it?

not even close. $500 is 40d territory.

are Nikon VR lenses worth the money over the standard versions?

VR is becoming a standard feature for most zoom lenses. get it unless it's unavailable, especially if it isn't f2.8.

So, I need a new lens for wide angle stuff. Am considering

20mm f2.8 D

16mm f2.8 D

I'm keen on being able to use a new lens with the fm2, which means it must have a manually adjustable aperture. It seems that most zooms in the range 18-70 ish don't have this property.

i'd go with the 20mm since it will be somewhat useful on the fm2, and very useful on the d300. 16mm is too wide to be used much on the fm2, though it will still be useful on the d300.

Also, can anyone recommend a thorough and technical book on the mechanics of digital photography? Something that goes into detail about things like what the iso setting corresponds to in terms of noise/contrast, explains white balance, details how to take infra red pictures and other geeky shit. Also any recommendations of books for the digital darkroom would be much appreciated.

for the basics, you're best off reading the tutorials at luminous-landscape.com. they have some great videos, too, though it costs a little $. you should also get the latest editions of "real world camera raw", "real world color management", and "adobe photoshop cs4 for photographers". check out "photography and the art of digital printing" and "the creative digital darkroom" while you're at it.

one more thing. you need to modify dslrs for digital infrared photography. i'd stick with film on this one.

thanks for the lens advice old bean. Might take at how a 16mm looks full frame, but I expect you're right about it not being massively useful on this format. That Real World Camera Raw looks like an interesting book too, will check it out.

As far as shooting IR with a digital camera goes, it seems that my D300 can detect IR radiation (I tested it on my tv remote). So I guess all I need is an appropriate filter and a long exposure time. Whilst the camera probably has some sort of IR filter in it, it seems that some light can still get through.