Digital SLRs?

nairb49

• 3 weeks later...

^^^

So basically it depends if you are going to be shooting food at restaurants, where you'll have to use available light or if you are setting stuff up at home or in a studio when you can control light.

You don't really need a micro lens for shooting food because most of the time you'll want to include the whole plate and micro lenses are for really high reproduction 1:1. Macro lenses also usually have higher optical quality(color rendition and sharpness) which is not necessarily as important when you are just taking pictures of food. More important than the camera body is light. Meaning D70 would be fine at ISO 400 if you can set-up the shot or bounce a flash off the wall. But if you are at a restaurant then you'll likely have to use available light, in which case a newer body with better high ISO performance and large aperture >f/2 would make better pictures.

tl;dr What kind of photography you want to do will drastically affect recommendations for lens/body combos

I shoot alot of food in restaurants because thats the only time i bother to bring out my camera. And from experience, ISO + large aperture size is way more important that being able to go in macro any day, trust me, there are several restaurants out there that are dimly lit, and there are others that are not lit at all. I'd recommend sigma 30mm f1.4

i know this aint dslr but does anyone know what kinda camera jordan tower use? kinda like this http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhN799SoCeD0r0v3M0

i am making a movie and i need something HD but that still looks gutter. or does anyone know what kinda effects he use? his other videos are on worldstarhiphop. here a good example: http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhwJiL6J88gRsXf5yK

any suggestions welcme. thx

somebody throw me some tips/advice

just got a d40, and still playing around with it

need to get my portrait shit right

Take pictures

post/share pictures

get feedback

keep taking pictures even if the feedback is negative

improve

repeat.

If you have specific questions or some background info then perhaps we could give you advice.

- 50mm f1.8 --> yes/no?

- ML-L3 remote --> yes/no?

- i'm mostly into shooting random shits (flickr here)

- i shoot in manual mode during the day, but still black photos. is this because of low light, despite there being sunlight?

^

- If you have a D40, I would recommend the 35mm f/1.8 instead, as the 50mm won't autofocus for you (unless you don't mind manual focus, of course).

- ML-L3 for sure. Very handy.

- Do you mean you're underexposing? If so, increase the aperture or ISO and/or decrease the shutter speed.

50--> no, get the 35/1.8 DX af-s, the 50mm af-s is too expensive and the cheaper af-d lenses won't autofocus and is too long for shooting indoors. 35mm is a little bigger than the 50's but it autofocuses and you can manually override by twisting the focus ring at anytime.

Remote-- get it, it's cheap and you never know when you'll want to take a self-portrait with friends/fam or for longer exposures on tripod

Get an Sb-400, it's about $100 and it'll immensely improve photos taken inside when you are using a slower lens like the kit zoom.

i shoot in manual mode during the day, but still black photos. is this because of low light, despite there being sunlight?

idk what that means, but I usually shoot in aperture priority mode and make adjustments by changing exposure compensation.

- i shoot in manual mode during the day, but still black photos. is this because of low light, despite there being sunlight?

if you are new to photography you may not want to start in full manual - I admire you if you do want to try that, but what may make more sense is to use some of the modes your camera gives you, learn what it dies, and then apply what you've learned to manual mode

for nikon, you have:

(p)rogram mode, which is a glorified auto/no-flash mode. You can mess around with different shutter speeds and apetures - its basically what a light meter would read

(a)peture priority mode - lets you specify the aperture and automatically picks the best shutter speed for you (prob what I use the most)

(s)hutter priority mode - same deal as apeture mode, expect with shutter speed specified and apeture calculated for you

^ yeah, i saw the 50mm/1.8 for $125 on amazon, and thought that was decent

and what i meant was that i shoot in broad daylight in M mode, yet the photos turn out dark/black

Again, the 50mm f/1.8 AF-D won't autofocus on your camera.

When you're in manual mode, it means you're responsible for setting aperture, shutter, and ISO on your own. If you don't know what this means, I'd start with what soonami suggested and shoot in aperture-priority (A) and use exposure compensation for adjustment. Even after you know what you're doing, this will usually be your "default" shooting mode. About the only time I use manual is when I want consistent exposure between multiple shots in a set.

I would guess dark photos means your aperture is too small (f number is too high like f/24) shutter too fast (like 1/2000).

In M mode, you have to adjust the shutter speed, aperture, and sensitivity (ISO) on your own, using the little light meter (looks like this: <IIIIIIOIIIIII> )on the bottom of the viewer. Ideally you would want to take a picture where the exposure is calibrated so that the light meter is centered to the circle in the middle of the bar. This should be an adequate starting point for proper exposure, then adjust according to get more light if it's too dark and less if too bright.

You should take a photo class or try at least get a well-reviewed photo book from amazon to learn some basics about proper exposure, framing, editing...

I have a nikon DSLR.

Someone recommended sigma 50mm f1.4 but it's around 400 dollars.

I've been looking at Nikkor 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8.

What exactly is the difference between 35 and 55 and how do these lens compare to the said sigma lens?

Thanks guys

I have a nikon DSLR.

Someone recommended sigma 50mm f1.4 but it's around 400 dollars.

I've been looking at Nikkor 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8.

What exactly is the difference between 35 and 55 and how do these lens compare to the said sigma lens?

Thanks guys

D3000, right? If so, the 50/1.8 won't autofocus on your camera, as it's an older screw-drive lens without a built-in AF motor. I would recommend the 35mm instead for that reason alone.

In terms of focal lengths, 35mm on a crop sensor is more or less a "normal" field of view, and good for general-purpose shooting. If you have a Nikon (DX) DSLR and don't have this lens, I'd urge you get it. The fast aperture allows you a lot more flexibility than any kit lens, and for $200, it's a no-brainer, imo.

50mm would be a mild telephoto, good for portraits, although you might find it a bit too long for general use, especially indoors. And again, the 50/1.8 won't autofocus for you (although it is a great deal for anyone with a D90 or up).

I have no experience with the Sigma lens, but if you're prepared to pay $400+ for a 50/1.4, you may as well get the Nikon version (the AF-S one WILL autofocus on a D3000). It would make a great portrait lens.

can anyone of you guys in the states give me a price quote on the 35/1.8 DX af-s? in germany i'm getting ~200€

i'd like to upgrade from my kit lens on my D40.

come summer i'd like to take pictures of the area i live in. like industry and shit like that. buildings, scenerey and whatnot.

also what recommendations can you give for nighttime, long exposure shoots?

redX - Amazon and B&H have it for $200 US

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264025251&sr=8-1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/606792-GREY/Nikon_2183_AF_S_Nikkor_35mm_f_1_8G.html

B&H doesn't have it in stock tho.

What's your kit lens? An 18-55?

That isn't necessarily a bad lens - I've gotten some great shots out of my kit (an 18-105), as for long exposures, you don't need anything too great. The 1.8 will actually allow you to get (relatively) shorter exposures in low-light