Digital SLRs?

nairb49

i wanna shoot like the sartorialist what lense do i need?

i have

canon 40d/d400

sigma 70-300

canon 50mm 1.8

??

If you want to do like .. stalker-sart you could use the 70-300 but you won't get it to be as soft as it is there - like dex said, your 50mm at a low apeture (1.8) should be able to do something like it.

redX - Amazon and B&H have it for $200 US

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF-S-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264025251&sr=8-1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/606792-GREY/Nikon_2183_AF_S_Nikkor_35mm_f_1_8G.html

B&H doesn't have it in stock tho.

What's your kit lens? An 18-55?

That isn't necessarily a bad lens - I've gotten some great shots out of my kit (an 18-105), as for long exposures, you don't need anything too great. The 1.8 will actually allow you to get (relatively) shorter exposures in low-light

man that's ridiculous, if i could get it in the states i'd be saving around 60€... maybe as a birthday present from the parents.

yeah my kit is an 18-55. i have been experimenting with it in low light and it has been ok. it just sucks that it's so cold now and that is detrimental to go out and actually shoot stuff at night plus my tripod doesn't fit in my back pack... i should just stop whining and actually go out D:

man that's ridiculous, if i could get it in the states i'd be saving around 60€... maybe as a birthday present from the parents.

yeah my kit is an 18-55. i have been experimenting with it in low light and it has been ok. it just sucks that it's so cold now and that is detrimental to go out and actually shoot stuff at night plus my tripod doesn't fit in my back pack... i should just stop whining and actually go out D:

ha .. you could also just try shooting in your room/at home, or using a flat surface instead of a tripod.

thinkin about getting the nikon 24-70 f/2.8. is it worth the price?

Been wondering the same thing as that would probably be my next lens purchase. Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to try one out.

Its big its bulky its heavy, the lens is fully extended at 24mm. You will have no problems trading a 24-70 for a 24-105 but not vice versa. If you dont exactly need the 2.8 you'll probably be better off with the 24-105

i'm guessing he means the 24-120.

Or he's talking Canon. Because the Nikon 24-120mm is a pretty mediocre lens.

thanks mis, i've never tried one, didn't know it was that bulky. the 2.8 is appealing, but it's just so much cash...

If you really need a fast mid-range zoom, it's the one to get. Personally, I'd rather carry around a smaller, lighter, faster prime (like the 50/1.4), but if you want zoom, you have to accept the size/weight penalty.

I agree about the bulkiness. I have handled the lens, but not shot with it and the size was definitely noticeable, especially on my D80 body. The 2.8 aspect of the 24-70 is what appeals to me too. The 24-120 doesn't appeal to me as I already have the 18-135.

one more how does a 85mm 1.2L shoot?

not entirely sure what you mean here ed - you've seen a lot of sample shots from it in the photography post, what sort of things are you looking for here?

im thinking of the 30mm 1.4L from sigma hmmm anything? or a canon 1.2l?

The sigma 30 1.4 is a really great prime for a crop sensor. one of my most used lenses.

one more how does a 85mm 1.2L shoot?

what camera are you using ed? the 85mm f1.8 (not 1.2L) is another one of my favorites. FL is too long for indoor usage but i love using it outdoors. i'm thinking if you're just getting started you should just go with the f1.8 and not the 1.2L, yet.