Digital SLRs?

nairb49

not entirely sure what you mean here ed - you've seen a lot of sample shots from it in the photography post, what sort of things are you looking for here?

i wanna shoot something like the sartorialist someone said hes doing a 85mm 1.2 so im asking how does it shoot

thanks bud

xoxo

ed

The sigma 30 1.4 is a really great prime for a crop sensor. one of my most used lenses.

what camera are you using ed? the 85mm f1.8 (not 1.2L) is another one of my favorites. FL is too long for indoor usage but i love using it outdoors. i'm thinking if you're just getting started you should just go with the f1.8 and not the 1.2L, yet.

why the f1.8? can i just save a couple of bills and go straight to 1.2L buddy?

ed i think you have good money, so why not go for the 1.2L. you may not use what it has to offer over the 1.8, but it has a red ring on it and looking like a baller is half of the digital photography process anyways

and i wouldn't worry about how it shoots, one of my friends told me when i was still new to photography, "all lenses are good" and to this day i am astonished by the wisdom in his words

well, it's not just a couple bills... the 1.2L costs $1000+ USD more than the 1.8, and 1.8 is already pretty damn good. do you think you will be using it a lot at f1.2-1.4? i'm pretty sure even the sartorialist doesnt shoot at f/1.2 on his 1.2L. What camera body are you using buddy?

ed i think you have good money, so why not go for the 1.2L. you may not use what it has to offer over the 1.8, but it has a red ring on it and looking like a baller is half of the digital photography process anyways

wtf

ed do what i did today and just go to a photography store where they have a decent selection of cameras and lenses and just ask them about the lenses you are currently looking at. i got to try out the 35/1.8 DX af-s nikkor and it was a very interesting experience. i didn't expect it to behave the way it did but i still want to have it :)

that way you will get to see "how it shoots". though i have no idea what you actually mean by that

The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is a bit tricky. With the 40D you can't do lens by lens micro-adjustments for sharpness like the 50D so in that regard, unless you can try it out before buying or there's a return policy I'd keep that in mind.

Does anybody have some experience with the Olympus Evolt E410 10MP Digital SLR Camera? I have an opprotunity to pick one up for $300-$350ish with some extra lenses and I'm wondering if I should go for it. It'd by my first slr.

• 3 weeks later...

i need some advice guys.

i have the opportunity to buy a 50d with less than 2,500 clicks for $750. i checked it out, and it's pristine.

but that leaves me with almost no money to buy lenses for a few months except the 50mm 1.8, which I hear is really good for the money.

worth it? or should i wait a few more months?

i feel like it's too good of a deal to pass up, and i'm really itching to start shooting again now that it's getting warmer outside, but what's the point of the body if i can't buy any good glass, right?

i've shot 50mm 1.8 on a 20d for a second, and its all about how you compose your shot.

50d for that price is pretty good.

and the 50mm retains its value pretty well.

id do that combo if i was you, and if you really want to just work with that for a few months until you can afford something better

• 2 weeks later...

sorry, but i have another 'is it worth it' question.

'barely used' t1i with a 50mm 1.8 lens for $580 - homie price

I'm thinking it's a pretty good deal but with the new t2i coming out and possible further price drop on the camera kind of scares me. this is my first digital SLR. should i jump on it? in essence I could save up for the t2i, but i figure the t3i is going to come out in another 9 months anyway so i might as well score deals and learn the basics

i need some advice guys.

i have the opportunity to buy a 50d with less than 2,500 clicks for $750. i checked it out, and it's pristine.

but that leaves me with almost no money to buy lenses for a few months except the 50mm 1.8, which I hear is really good for the money.

worth it? or should i wait a few more months?

i feel like it's too good of a deal to pass up, and i'm really itching to start shooting again now that it's getting warmer outside, but what's the point of the body if i can't buy any good glass, right?

don't splurge on a camera body only to get shit lenses for it. you want to splurge on glass and worry about the body second. not that the 50mm is really shit, just word of advice. the lens has a bigger impact on image quality than the number of megapixels etc. 50mm 1.8 is alright but it's more like a 70mm on an aps sensor and a lot less versatile.

alright, i'm a complete photography/DSLR noob and would like some opinions on what my first camera should be. i'm looking at the Nikon D3000 since it's in my price range (around $500-$600) and also looks like a good beginner camera. i'd like to know which DSLR i should consider for taking shots such as these since this is what it'd mostly be used for:

just every-day normal life

nature macros

tilt shift lens technique

i appreciate it, thanks!

only available in japan, for now.

Ya but it will come to North AMerica once they get all the bugs worked out. Should be one hell of a bargain considering it has twice the resolution of the competing ( ie same price range) digital MF setups.

As for lens vs. camera, Rob is right. Lens resolution is much more important than sensor resolution...

alright, i'm a complete photography/DSLR noob and would like some opinions on what my first camera should be. i'm looking at the Nikon D3000 since it's in my price range (around $500-$600) and also looks like a good beginner camera. i'd like to know which DSLR i should consider for taking shots such as these since this is what it'd mostly be used for:

just every-day normal life

nature macros

tilt shift lens technique

i appreciate it, thanks!

Umm, Nikon tilt-shift lens are like $1500 and good macro lenses are in the $500 ballpark to start. Of course, you don't need specialty lenses for these techniques, a long telephoto with a shorter focusing distance can give you macro-like performance and you can simulate tilt-shift with photoshop. A fast prime like the $200 35mm/1.8 AF-S from Nikon would be a good walkabout lens for taking pictures of most things.

At the end of the day, get the cheapest body that meets your minimum requirements and the best lens you can afford. For the money you are talking about, $500-600, I think the Nikon D3000 with kit 18-55mm ($460 from Amazon) and 35mm/1.8 AF-S ($200 from Amazon) will be the best you can do. You really can't get anything better for cheaper. Maybe if you wanted to go used, you could get a used D200 for ~$400 and an old 55mm/2.8 Macro for ~$100 on ebay.