superliving: your room / closet / house / apartment

youngluc

It always interests me to hear about rent prices in the US. And England, it's really interesting to hear about your experiences in Toronto. Toronto has a reputation about being a bit of a money pit, rent prices stay pretty rigidly high, and with the new proliferation of condos (seriously, I think it has to be the most reckless rate of development in the country) the possibility of finding cheap places has just gotten so slim. A place like Montreal, which is not only cheap but absolutely beautiful can seem like some kind of low-rent Eden. I've been wondering, are there any areas of the U.S. that are considered really attractive, affordable cities? What about the Northwest? How expensive a city is say, Seattle, comparatively?

It always interests me to hear about rent prices in the US. And England, it's really interesting to hear about your experiences in Toronto. Toronto has a reputation about being a bit of a money pit, rent prices stay pretty rigidly high, and with the new proliferation of condos (seriously, I think it has to be the most reckless rate of development in the country) the possibility of finding cheap places has just gotten so slim. A place like Montreal, which is not only cheap but absolutely beautiful can seem like some kind of low-rent Eden. I've been wondering, are there any areas of the U.S. that are considered really attractive, affordable cities? What about the Northwest? How expensive a city is say, Seattle, comparatively?

From what I understand Seattle is a good deal cheaper than other major cities. I want to say NY and SF are the most expensive, and there's no way Seattle approaches either of these two in terms of cost. I understand LA is cheaper than NY & SF, too, but I can't say by how much.

Seattle and Portland are both very nice cities and are way cheaper than major cities like New York and SF.

however, if you're a professional, you can expect your salary to reflect the cost of living in the area. I just moved from Boston, and i took a 15% pay cut. Seems bad until you realize rent is 50% cheaper here! I had a job offer near SF that was actually a 20% increase in pay, but cost of living is ridiculous, and it would actually mean less money!

montreal is a really nice city and would be a great place to live if it's cheap enough.

Seattle and Portland are both very nice cities and are way cheaper than major cities like New York and SF.

however, if you're a professional, you can expect your salary to reflect the cost of living in the area. I just moved from Boston, and i took a 15% pay cut. Seems bad until you realize rent is 50% cheaper here! I had a job offer near SF that was actually a 20% increase in pay, but cost of living is ridiculous, and it would actually mean less money!

montreal is a really nice city and would be a great place to live if it's cheap enough.

Less money but you get to live in a nicer city. There are so many more benefits in living in a nice city then compared to a city that pays you well. Because if you ever decide to move to a nicer city doesn't it all even out in the end? That's just the way I see it.

Here is my bedroom and living room. starthere has already posted the rest of our apartment on this page. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from Yardsale.

3004197466_ff343c14c9.jpg

3003361573_00cc8b11a5.jpg

you guys have a great apartment, the kitchen area is beautiful.

dunno what you are really looking for in terms of advice, but i am gonna state the obvious and say that you could use some paintings/art pieces, wallpaper and a rug here and there to fill the house a bit more.

it all depends on the kind of budget you're on and how long you think you will be in the same place though, for example, no point in spending money in a nice wallpaper if you're not gonna be there in 3 or 4 years.

Yeah I don't think wallpaper is going to happen. Paintings are needed and I was thinking about adding some plants as well, probably fake ones though. As far as rugs go I don't have the first clue how to make them work with our stuff.

Yeah I don't think wallpaper is going to happen. Paintings are needed and I was thinking about adding some plants as well, probably fake ones though. As far as rugs go I don't have the first clue how to make them work with our stuff.

I would go with a light grey rug in your living room between your couch and the TV bench. That would really bring everything together. Check out www.flor.com for ideas.

hard to say based on those pics, but a few carefully selected additions might be good. I personally dont like rugs, but some artwork would be good. what you can do is frame a few posters or whatever you want, and just place them leaning against the wall. especially really big ones look cool like that, I think. if you want to, you can later hang them, but you dont get any unecessary holes in the wall.

here's my place. it's teeny tiny, less than 500 sq. ft. for 2 people, but we make it work just fine. it's a bit more homey than a lot of others here, while i love modern aesthetics i don't really like decorating with them

walking in the place, living room and kitchen. theres no overhead lighting so we use christmas lights for softer, more relaxing light. we keep bottles that visitors finish while they're here, a decent collection for a little over a year.

3008439915_2d7ab56344.jpg

living room from the kitchen (thats our front door)

3009275530_2660f67726.jpg

walking into my room:

3009275470_d828d1087f.jpg

from sitting on my bed, my desk and stuff. printer and scanner are under the desk, that's where i make wallets and everything:

3008439099_02ba9b18ac.jpg

i think since my room is so small (9x9ft) it looks very cluttered, but it's pretty neat and tidy. oh, i have a pretty big closet that is the door on the right as you walk into my room, so thats where all my clothing is

Eq3 has some dope rugs......

http://eq3.com/cat-eq3/scan/MM=3616f26bc8e6d601fac30ba94132869f:16:31:16.html?mv_more_ip=1&mv_nextpage=results&mv_arg=

Just bought this huge photo from IKEA....shits like 7' wide. Love it. They make quite a few of them in giant sizes. Good way to fill a wall.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30120001

• 2 weeks later...