MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd still give a finger for a properly sized MF deck jacket. Non wash.

I can't imagine another winter without my Buzz Rickson deck hook jacket, on which both the MFSC and this J. Crew one are clearly based. Warm, comfy, stylish. Still widely available I guess.

I'd still give a finger for a properly sized MF deck jacket. Non wash.

Sit tight, you might be able to have one this fall.

what is the belt made of?

what is the belt made of?

Cotton.

From misterfreedom.com:

SPECS:

* Fabric:New Old Stock 10 oz. denim twill, Indigo yarn warp x Black yarn weft. Origin USA. While technically “denimâ€, the raw fabric looks like dark navy twill and is guaranteed to age beautifully.

* Pattern: An original MF® pattern. The denim is four-fold for thickness and sturdiness.

* Hardware: Vintage slide metal buckles and tips, Military Specs, mixed colours and aging.

* Stitching:Five row stitching, all cotton royal blue thread, hi-count stitch, guaranteed to “ropeâ€.

* Labeling: Original MF label, “Property of MF†hand painted stencil on INSIDE of belt.

* Origin: All made in USA in our no-sweat shop!

* Limited Edition.

re: deck jacket - Jared mentioned it's probably coming back when i was in the shop a couple months back. made it seem pretty definite, mentioned something about a slightly different lining.

re: J Crew version - i'm curious to see one and may snag it. much as i can want a deck jacket it doesn't get all that cold here so something lighter weight would be used more. if anything, this is closer to the US Clip Jacket Nigel Cabourn has done. i'd rather have that but good luck finding one.

ThisSunday - i'll get you some black mechanic shirt fit pics soon as i can.

Doc, Great Belt! hopefully ocean soaking this weekend! Nameness, good piont on the deck jacket.... the only thing was the fleece fabric was so light the heavy hardware made it feel drapie. having said that, its an aiiiight piece, no MF though!

Fucking J. Crew.

I'm pissed that they are offering the MF Breezer now. I just got the black one a few weeks ago at the MF store in L.A. and I love it.

I basically got it as a replacement for my Baracuta G9 that I got a couple years ago (before J Crew had it!)

I love that jacket too for it's straight up classic nature but I started to think that it got played out when J. Crew started carrying it. Indy boots are borderline and now the Breezer? (I know they've had other MF stuff for a while but it didn't effect me really until now)

I mean I gotta hand it to them for being the best mall brand and really turning around their image, but I'm fucking mad at them for taking what we all love and making it seem like it was their idea.

J. Crew isn't rebranding Mister Freedom clothes. How is J. Crew making it seeming like "their idea"?

J. Crew isn't rebranding Mister Freedom clothes. How is J. Crew making it seeming like "their idea"?

I know they're not rebranding it. I just mean that it could seem like the "experts" at J Crew are finding all these cool brands and helping the average guy out by providing that service. I guess I have some sort of hang up with people thinking that I got my jacket or whatever at J Crew. It degrades it a little for me, that's all.

And don't get me wrong, I do buy shit there sometimes. I just don't want to look like I buy everything there

i have to agree with Jason.... there whole fall 2009 line was a RRL total rip off, and now they have moved onto Mister Freedom. I think they are an excelent mall store, with great quality, however they could focus on complimenting MF pieces not trying to replicate them for half the price.

not the right thread for this, so lets move on...

So what's happening with the brand "narrative" come fall? Motorcyclists on the high seas? Jet Ski Club?

Now I'm torn if I want to buy a mulholland master or wait on the deck jacket. Hmm.

And what J. Crew is doing is pretty interesting. By concocting this notion of them as "discovering" all these classic brands (Barbour, Belstaff, Mister Freedom, Alden) they're vicariously associating themselves with them. Riding the coat tails so to speak. It is interesting to see how they're getting a little more experimental with their mainline offerings. Stuff like the destroyed patched chinos and the vintage looking kelty pack from FW10 are a far cry from the endless shelves of ill fitting button downs and pleated chinos I typically associate with the brand.

For fall there is not a solid narrative, it's a bit of a greatest hits collection that's been updated with a few new pieces like vests and a 5-pocket jean.

re: J Crew version - i'm curious to see one and may snag it. much as i can want a deck jacket it doesn't get all that cold here so something lighter weight would be used more. if anything, this is closer to the US Clip Jacket Nigel Cabourn has done. i'd rather have that but good luck finding one.

Agreed. This is a rip off of the Cabourn piece rather than the Deck jacket.

I haven't seen this in person but I seriously doubt the fabric is in the same league as the Cabourn version. I also doubt the hardware is as robust.

Mister Freedom and Nigel Cabourn are very comparable in attention to detail, material, construction, and historic influence. I have not found any other brands (not saying they don't exist) that come close to being comparable to either.

Uh oh, not the Jcrew discussion again. This topic just won't die just like the hate for the MF boots. That said, I know what you guys mean but I'm happy that Jcrew sells MF and other designers clothing. It sets them apart from all mall/catalog brands. It ruins the exclusivity, but MF isn't something I want all to myself. I live in NYC and still haven't seen anyone that wasnt in SENY wearing MF.

Where's therelativity with those MF fit pics? :)

Watch out for your chain stitching run off. If they get caught and rip. They come undone like a sweater in the cartoons. Here is some preventive fixing. Would like to know if I swing buy the MF store is that something they could repair there. Would also love to have a second inside pocket made from the same fabric. web.jpg?ver=12748230050001

If that's the CPO you might just want to give that to me. I don't think that thing is gonna last long. It's better to get rid of it now than to watch it wither away.