MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really liking the fit of my 7161s these days.

fitsm.jpg

These jeans continue to blow my mind in terms of the way that they seem to be able work for any size/shape/fit as long as the rest of the persons attire suits them...I've seen them look great sized anywhere from 1 down to 2 (or more) up and they always look right...they are also capable of looking totally different from person to person, which I think is cool. Nice fit indeed Zissou!

My Mister Freedom Mulholland Master and my new (size 40) Mister Freedom Denim Pea Coat Liberty issue have arrived. I'll show how both fit. Especially the size 40 Liberty Issue compared to my other size 42 Liberty Issue and the size 40 Original Issue I had for a while.

The Mulholland Master is actually lighter in weight than I thought it would be. I've got to say I love corded cotton and want many more jackets made from this material. And if Sugarcane/Mister Freedom/Buzz Rickson ever decide to make some corduroy pants out of this same corduroy lining (Especially indigo dyed!) I would pay so many pairs.

From what I have heard, it is toasty as hell.

These jeans continue to blow my mind in terms of the way that they seem to be able work for any size/shape/fit as long as the rest of the persons attire suits them...I've seen them look great sized anywhere from 1 down to 2 (or more) up and they always look right...they are also capable of looking totally different from person to person, which I think is cool. Nice fit indeed Zissou!

Thanks, tmadd. I am just not comfortable wearing wearing my jeans as loose as, say, cotton duck. Mine were TTS, but TIGHT in the waist and hips. They are a perfect fit now, after about 20 wears.

Started waxing the Mulholland jacket. I started with one pocket to see the results and so far so good. I will have to order more wax since the jungle cloth is pretty thick. I am a huge fan of waxed garments. The pants in the photo are a pair that I have had for years and keep getting better with age like they should. Color in photos might not be 100% accurate. Too cold lately to wear this so I have time to work on it. The N-1 from last year is getting the love lately.

www.corypiehowicz.com

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

eltopo - I am really interested in your process with the Wax! I have been admiring your pants for some time and was surprised at first to see the Mulholland getting the treatment. After thinking about it, I have a feeling that it is going to look incredible. Did you apply the same Wax to your pants? Wondering what the decision making process was behind not evenly applying it to the whole garment and if you plan on doing the same with the Mulholland? Cheers

ooooh that's amazing waxing is a great idea for the Mulholland Eltopo.

Funny I just treated a canvas bag i have yesterday with the barbour wax. My bag did not take on that kind of shiny "waxed" look that waxed garments take on though. It just darkened a bit, though water is beading up on it.

I was considering giving it another coat. Do you think that will work? I was beginning to think maybe the fabric needed to be treated first in order for it to look "right" like a barbour coat . . .

eltopo - I am really interested in your process with the Wax! I have been admiring your pants for some time and was surprised at first to see the Mulholland getting the treatment. After thinking about it, I have a feeling that it is going to look incredible. Did you apply the same Wax to your pants? Wondering what the decision making process was behind not evenly applying it to the whole garment and if you plan on doing the same with the Mulholland? Cheers

Hey Lando, the pants were waxed by some guy in Jersey. Not sure of his name or company. I know a ton of companies use him (like Jcrew,rogan, ect.)

I could be wrong on that but that is what I was told by someone who works in the industry. I could be wrong. Kiya may know. Not sure why the pants were waxed like that. I am guessing that they were buttoned and then sprayed with wax. I plan on doing the whole Jacket and it probably will do all visible pieces of fabric. I will post results! Thanks again!

ooooh that's amazing waxing is a great idea for the Mulholland Eltopo.

Funny I just treated a canvas bag i have yesterday with the barbour wax. My bag did not take on that kind of shiny "waxed" look that waxed garments take on though. It just darkened a bit, though water is beading up on it.

I was considering giving it another coat. Do you think that will work? I was beginning to think maybe the fabric needed to be treated first in order for it to look "right" like a barbour coat . . .

Hey Bernie,

I would give it another treatment. Did you use a Heat Gun? I went to home depot and bought the cheapest Heat Gun and used that to really get the wax into the fabric. Then did a second application. Also my pants weren't as shiny at first and then once worn and dirty they got really shiny. So may also be a matter of time. Not sure about it having to be treated first but I am far from a Pro on this subject. Loving how mine is starting to look and mine hasn't been treated.

Ditto on loving waxed garments. Its a labor of love. Just applied a new coat on my Filson as it was leaking a bit in the rain the other week. Left it out in the sun on a warm day in L.A., which usually does the trick but I've heard of folks throwing it in the oven--would only do this with extreme caution.

Filson.jpg

Mulholland waxing

Make sure pics of the finished and evo'd project make it back to Christophe, I'm sure he'd love to see a unique mod like this on one of his pieces.

Speaking of modded MF stuff, I was thinking about how beautiful it would be to turn my navy colored thermal into a henley. Gonna e-mail Christophe soon to see if we can work something out for any extra fabric needed :)

Hey Bernie,

I would give it another treatment. Did you use a Heat Gun? I went to home depot and bought the cheapest Heat Gun and used that to really get the wax into the fabric. Then did a second application. Also my pants weren't as shiny at first and then once worn and dirty they got really shiny. So may also be a matter of time. Not sure about it having to be treated first but I am far from a Pro on this subject. Loving how mine is starting to look and mine hasn't been treated.

I used my old hair dryer, which worked well until the end when it overheated and started shutting on and off, then soon after emitted a shower of sparks which almost set me on fire.

However, now that I survived, I will apply another coat of wax to the bag in the new year. I plan to try another heat method I've heard of, which is to put the newly waxed garment in a cloth bag and put it in the hot dryer for a few minutes. No more hair dryers.

Couple quick photos showing some wear on my dungarees and the MFSC N-1H Deck Coat. Photos taken at my friends farm were he had a really cool vintage snow bird display that I was photographing. Waxed all the pockets and elbow patches on the Mulholland and I am very happy! More wax is on its way.

NDJ2.png

NDJ.png

I used my old hair dryer, which worked well until the end when it overheated and started shutting on and off, then soon after emitted a shower of sparks which almost set me on fire.

However, now that I survived, I will apply another coat of wax to the bag in the new year. I plan to try another heat method I've heard of, which is to put the newly waxed garment in a cloth bag and put it in the hot dryer for a few minutes. No more hair dryers.

i did that with my belstaff it worked well, but I had to leave it in the dryer for about 15mins to get hot enough. Also I sat the tin of wax in a bowl of just boiled water for the same time to get it more liquefied. Carefull of hardware like zips/snaps etc being really hot when it comes out the dryer!

Couple quick photos showing some wear on my dungarees and the MFSC N-1H Deck Coat. Photos taken at my friends farm were he had a really cool vintage snow bird display that I was photographing. Waxed all the pockets and elbow patches on the Mulholland and I am very happy! More wax is on its way.

NDJ.png

Nice! I'm kinda jealous, my deck coat has a solid colour wool blanket lining, not the striped one. Oh well, it keeps me warm...

Nice! I'm kinda jealous, my deck coat has a solid colour wool blanket lining, not the striped one. Oh well, it keeps me warm...

At least you have one, I'm jealous I don't...but I picked up a Mulholland. Looking forward to seeing eltopo's waxed version.

The new Riders Dungarees made out of Sugar Cane's raw 14oz. 50/50 (50% cotton, 50% sugar cane that is!) left hand twill, SC301 "Okinawa" denim, with the pockets and side cinch in a 11oz. version of the same denim.

This denim has become somewhat synonymous with MFSC jeans as, with the exception of the 7163, all other jeans as well as a lot of the tops are done in this denim, however this is the first pair done completely in just this denim.

Pockets have been moved all the way to the side for more comfort in the saddle, and the ankle pockets first seen on the N-1K Deck pants make another appearance in case one prefers to keep the backpockets completely empty during those long rides (be it by bike, car or desk chair...) or just to be able to take that little extra with you when needed. They've so far come in very handy for me as I have been carrying my gloves in them when not on my hands during these cold winter days.

Sizing, soaking and shrinkage:

By now I trust that I can simply go for a 32 in MFSC jeans and get a fit that will work for me. The only issue with these was the length, as they are a fixed 34 inch pre shrinkage, with little option to let out the hem. With my long legs this means I could hardly afford any shrinkage in the length, but I still wanted the top block fitted. I briefly considered not soaking them at all, but in the end decided against it. Solved it by going for a short lukewarm soak in the tub and taking the bottom of the legs out the water half way through, after that yanking on the legs as hard as possible the moment I took the jeans out of the water.

This does mean that I have to be careful with washing these in the future, they will most likely only receive handwashes.

Line dried and then worn damp to shape.

R0012775resized.jpg

R0012779resized.jpg

The colour difference between the two different weights of denim becomes hardly noticeable after soaking

Fit pics:

Dungarees%20fits.jpg

Christophe himself describes these as a mid-rise, late 50's silhouette.

On me they fit straight and slim with a little anti-fit in the seat. I actually like the length and think it works really well worn with boots.

I do think that it would be smart to have a "long configuration" for future jeans with a fixed length and no material to let out, simply for the long legged folks out there who aren't as comfortable with short jeans as I am...

R0012783resized.jpg

R0012790resized.jpg

Card stock pocket flasher stapled to the right backpocket.

R0012800resized.jpg

R0012789resized.jpg

Sideview with the slashpockets and side cinch straps. The 11oz. covert cloth lined "Never Rippum" pockets worked directly into the lap felled outseams at the hip and ankle

R0012786resized.jpg

A close-up of the steel "Buzz" domed rivets

R0012801resized.jpg

what seems to be an inevitable side effect from sewing makes for an interesting stitch detail at the bottom of the pockets

R0012831resized.jpg

"Bar tacked at points of stress" and a hint of red showing in the watch pocket