MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

Does drama follow Mister Freedom or does Mister Freedom follow drama?

You're about to find out.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone please post some post-wash measurements for a medium raw MFSC chambray (purchased from Self Edge)?

Also, could somebody (kiya?)explain the raw/one-wash sizing for these shirts? Does Toyo/MFSC use different patterns for the raw and one-wash, or are one-wash mediums = raw large?

I never did figure this out as I unsuspectingly bought a one-wash large in Japan, only to later realize that it wouldn't shrink (The one-wash medium fit perfectly, though). I compared the measurements on the one-wash large to the SE measurements and the sizes didn't really match up (i.e. M<one-wash large<L<<XL).

Is it me or were a couple of posts deleted from this thread? I remember there being a hot girl exchange. Have we run into the thread police......

^I don't have any problem with unnecessary posts being deleted from this thread. If there is any one thread I'd love to stay on topic, it's this one. BTW, some of the posts were mine...

I never did figure this out as I unsuspectingly bought a one-wash large in Japan, only to later realize that it wouldn't shrink (The one-wash medium fit perfectly, though). I compared the measurements on the one-wash large to the SE measurements and the sizes didn't really match up (i.e. M<one-wash large<L<<XL).

I'll do my best, but someone correct me if I am wrong. A one-wash of any MF chambrays should fit like the raw one size below, after the shirt is soaked/dried. At one point, I was given measurements from J Crew for their one wash M and L, and they were the same as the measurements for the raw S and M, respectively, from Self Edge. If you want to buy a raw version, look at which size would fit based on the measurements, and then buy one size up to account for shrinking. Some say that one wash versions are only a half-size smaller than the raws (which would make sense with your sizing comparison above), but I bet they'd shrink more if soaked/dried. If the one-wash medium fit you perfectly, then I believe you would also want a raw M, which should measure at least a half size larger. As far as I know, Christophe is not changing sizing between raw and one-wash. As a comparison, a raw M would fit me well. I came across a washed L on supermarket, bought it, and bingo! it fit me just right, just like a raw M would have. I am a M in all other MF sanforized tops- Denim Utility Shirt, Shore Jacket, etc.

Does this help?

Does drama follow Mister Freedom or does Mister Freedom follow drama?

You're about to find out.

Call me crazy, but I am beginning to think there is drama everywhere.

^I At one point, I was given measurements from J Crew for their one wash M and L, and they were the same as the measurements for the raw S and M, respectively, from Self Edge.

Does this help?.

Yes, it does help very much and I wish this had been posted yesterday when I placed my order. I wear the same size as you do, in fact purchased one of your shirts a year or so ago.

So, just to be sure, if I want to get the same size that fits you, I would order large on J Crew (one wash) and medium on SelfEdge (raw)?

If you want the same size shirt that I wear, you want to order the one wash Large or the raw Large. The one wash Large from J Crew fits the same as the raw Large from Self Edge after it is soaked/dried. They are the same shirt, but J Crew (or whoever is actually washing the shirts) has done the soak/dry for you.

To summarize, go to the SE site, and see which size measurements would fit you. For me, this is a M. Then order one size larger in either raw or one wash. For me, this is a L.

In the end, SE doesn't have any raws left, and MF only has XS(?).

I hope you also know that the 25% off code actually works for MF stuff on the J Crew site, despite the email saying it doesn't......

Drama (read: debate) does this thread good. Would be nice to see it in other threads too--superdenim gets boring when every post is:

"HOW 2 SIZE"

"look wat i just boutgh!!!1"

"new release info::::::: blabla attention to detail blabla craftsmanship bla selvage"

"gomgom nice fit" and other utterances overheard at a circlejerk

I want to interpret this as Cristophe is going to start posting again?

Nah.. you'll know when it drops.

My friend Wes (http://hellforleathermagazine.com/) wearing the Mister Freedom Mulholland Master jacket (and Iron Heart 301s) on a product review set for the new Deus bike.

13549_195430797185_8113612185_36456.jpg

13549_195430807185_8113612185_36456.jpg

13549_195430827185_8113612185_36456.jpg

13549_195430832185_8113612185_36456.jpg

13549_195430852185_8113612185_36456.jpg

13549_195430857185_8113612185_36456.jpg

13549_195430877185_8113612185_36456.jpg

Thanks to Grant for sending me the outtake photos.

I'll do my best, but someone correct me if I am wrong. A one-wash of any MF chambrays should fit like the raw one size below, after the shirt is soaked/dried. At one point, I was given measurements from J Crew for their one wash M and L, and they were the same as the measurements for the raw S and M, respectively, from Self Edge. If you want to buy a raw version, look at which size would fit based on the measurements, and then buy one size up to account for shrinking. Some say that one wash versions are only a half-size smaller than the raws (which would make sense with your sizing comparison above), but I bet they'd shrink more if soaked/dried. If the one-wash medium fit you perfectly, then I believe you would also want a raw M, which should measure at least a half size larger. As far as I know, Christophe is not changing sizing between raw and one-wash. As a comparison, a raw M would fit me well. I came across a washed L on supermarket, bought it, and bingo! it fit me just right, just like a raw M would have. I am a M in all other MF sanforized tops- Denim Utility Shirt, Shore Jacket, etc.

Does this help?

It helps although I am still not convinced that the raw version shrinks a full size until I see some measurements; I think they shrink closer to a half-size, but you could be right about the one-wash still shrinking further. I was under the impression that they were industrially washed/dried like most "one-wash" garments to remove all of the shrinkage.

Did you not buy a white one-wash MFSC chambray (the J. Crew version) on SF? The measurements on the medium seem to be fairly similar to the raw version. The one-wash large was definitely too long in the length and sleeves for me, but if the medium shrinks a full size I won't have enough room in the chest.

I don't even know if you can buy raw MF chambrays anywhere, anyway.

I don't even know if I should give you the measurements for my washed white chambray, because it defies all logic.

OK, then, I'll tell you. My washed M, which originally came from J Crew, measures identical to the measurements of a raw M on SE. Don't ask me why. I bought it for the measurements and not the size.

The last thing I will tell you, though, is that I had a SA at the J Crew men's store measure a M and L washed versions, and the measurements were ALMOST IDENTICAL to a raw S and M, respectively, on SE. Don't believe me? Then call J Crew and have them give you the measurements.

Nah.. you'll know when it drops.

My prediction: Mister Freedom diffusion line for Urban Outfitters.

More realistic prediction: J Crew buys Mister Freedom, but Christophe stays as lead designer and head of J Crew vintage goods dept.

Most realistic prediction: Christophe is sued for using the name of that 1969 movie, and has to change the name of his company and clothing line.

My prediction: Christophe realizes Toyo is the japanese version of Levis and rebels, selling all his rights to Samurai (a company headed by an innately cool dude), and stops making motorcycle gear and starts doing choo choo train clothing from the turn of the century.

Get your Mech sweat the same size as you would any of the sanforized tops. It's "stretch to fit" and will be tight at first but stretch to perfect. If you get a size up it'll definitely end up too big after stretching.

I have the shore coat and sweat in M as they won't shrink and L in the shirts, CPO, Pcoat, vest as they were Raw and shrank a full size.

Rule of thumb, as Zissou is also saying, raw MF tops will shrink down to the exact measurements of one size smaller per Self Edge's

measurements.

Look which measurements would work for you and get one size up to shrink down to your size.

I don't know what's up with the one wash sizes though, can't help with that.

With regards to Jcrew, they buy directly out of MF stock so those pieces start out raw but perhaps get washed somewhere along the way...

I have the sweat in a M and while at first it seemed pretty tight even with just a tshirt under it, it stretches alot and now is perfect even with a button-up under it.

It's a short, fitted sweater and is supposed to sit exactly at your waist.

I'm planning to do a detailed post with fit pics next week if you can wait a little longer.

I take L in all my Mister Freedom and most Sugar Cane shirts and coats/jackets. For the Mechanics sweatshirt, as well as the Buzz Rickson sweatshirts, I would definitely get a medium unless I wanted it super roomy. In my experience the difference in sizes between these sweatshirts have a lot less to do with length and more to do with the body width.

I got a large in a buzz sweatshirt, it was too small, but I was told to get a medium in the mech sweat, (that kinda sounds like some gundam wing shit) because they're pretty oversized to begin with...

Also I'll try to get some pics of my cpo up tonight, hot soaked the bottom half to shrink it a bi more then cold soaked the whole thing, it's crispy as fuck, love it... Also fits me very well, pretty slim in the arms/shoulders