Nice Things

Double 0 Soul

7 minutes ago, smoothsailor said:

I have a few pieces from local artist.

The woodblock print is from a local lady , she is a patient in psycho hospital and friends with my mother in law, who is an artist too.

its called : Friday morning in the harbor brothel.

AE7424E2-A462-4FAC-AC9E-57623C025E61.jpeg

Lovely stuff! i particulary like that^ woodblock print.

Have you moved house since the old forum days Paul?

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Damn, those^ boards make my kids (Chocolate/Indy/Bones) set up look like junk :)

fullsizeoutput_2c09

...also, this is a beauty!

Nothing wrong with a good popsicle! 

Yeah, he has a really clean aesthetic. I suppose I could get a better pic of it so you can see the detail of her jumping rope with the thread.....but then I would have to move haha

@JDelage I few years ago i stumbled across a program while flicking through the channels late at night, it was called 'Forged in Fire' i watched a couple, it was on one of those 'bearded men channels' they got a few black smiths, give them a forge, a press and wot-not, some random chunks of scrap metal and a selection of raw materials for the handels and they forge a knife... the judges then test them out. It was nuts but quite watchable :)

A screenprinting friend of mine has a sideline in acid etching, it's pretty much the same process on a smaller scale, he gets some lovely knives in to etch often made from damascus, he etches scenes into the blade but i get the feeling that as beautifully crafted as they are, they're really just ornaments, i bet nobody ever uses them.

Ive bought a few bits n'bobs from Ray Mears bushcraft site over the years, i use a plain old Morakniv for camping but he used to sell (maybe still does) a very plain looking bushcraft knife, hand made in the UK by Emberleaf Workshops, the blade was tool steel, handle was black, it didn't look remarkable in any way so i assume it was made to be used...but it was nearly £500 and the waiting list runs at around 4yrs.. what the flip!

1. Trellick Tower silkscreen print from Gerry Buxton, a London-based artist. I bought this for Mrs F as she’s a West London girl and grew up close to it.

2. Beatles prints from 1968 to promote the release of Yellow Submarine in the US. I bought these for Mrs F as she loves the Beatles whereas I’m indifferent at best but like the colours. We never managed to acquire Paul unfortunately.

C2398145-3021-4BD2-92AA-84579EE2CC3B.jpeg

E3A2F44C-0639-4FF3-8557-47145672F1F5.jpeg

Todays offering.. Phlegm's Luxuria

fullsizeoutput_2b1a

It's Phlegm's interpretation of Pieter Bruegel's Luxuria...my sis in law bought it for me from KBR in Belgium, they were running a celebration of Bruegel's work at the time.

1679 Bruegel Luxuria print

I only buy artwork from Sheffield based artists, the art world is vast and even more tempting but with limited wall space and even more limited funds i call those my parameters plus it's a creative city so it churns out a more than enough to keep me happy.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Original Bakerloo line map from an Underground train (the glass is very reflective) and Galadriel cushion stolen from one of The Hobbit premieres (can’t remember which, there’s Bilbo, Legolas and one other knocking around the house somewhere too).

FF93A0E7-4246-4E3F-9625-00A75590D1FF.jpeg

Todays offering..

Waingate Sheffield, original photograph

fullsizeoutput_2c0a

...a slightly earlier Waingate/Castle Market period postcard

fullsizeoutput_2ae9

Hole in the Road photograph from digitally scanned negative

fullsizeoutput_2c10

Park Hill...same

fullsizeoutput_2c11

...and an old black and white photo which i took on my Leica probably 25 yrs ago, ive always had a passing interest in urban decline

fullsizeoutput_2c0c

3 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I love that Beigal Bake (i'll not say owt about the spelling :biggrin:) is that a print or a photo or what?

It’s a photo Neal and the spelling is spot on (mine not yours :laugh2:, pronounced buy-gall, none of this bagel nonsense), in the dark hallway by the stairs so I didn’t get a great picture. I also meant to include this picture from my son’s room - Smoothsailor’s great post reminded me.

E252CC1D-F794-4AF0-AD0E-8ABF4A15780C.jpeg