True Levis copies

rloud175

As a blue collar working American denim guy, I really strive for that perfect pair of japanese selvedge that is as close to a pair of 60 year old Levis as possible. I know some of the small brands in Japan will custom stitch the levis arcs on the pockets for you. I was wondering which companies make the closest levis repro and which ones are willing to stitch the arcs on?

Also, im basing this mostly on the cut of the jeans and not so much the denim. Alot of "repros" seem to be lower rise or slimmer with a shorter button fly than thw originals. In my opinion nothing looks as good as the originals but just seeing how close I can get without dropping $3000.

i would check out TCB. Inoue doesn't make a pair of jeans unless he has an original to base his repo off of. And you can't beat the price!

Edited by nycsurfer530

TCB are almost certainly the best Japanese repro; the puckering, train-tracks etc are the most convincing and shade out Sugar Cane, who also have a different interpretation of a 50s-style cut. SC are still great if you can pick them up cheap, but TCB is a much smaller boutique concern - check out the Happy Jeans thread for some worn-in examples.

You should check out LVC's 50s repros too; they don't train-track on the outer seam like the TCB, and don't have the rayon red tag; also they use poly cotton stitching which doesn't fade as nicely - but you get the arcuates, and denim made in the mill, overseen by the same woman, that made Levi's denim in the 50s. The fabric in particular is fantastic. If I get chance I'll post a comparison photo.

I don't know any Japanese companies that would sew on Levi's arcuates - although Full Count arcuates can be altered to mimic them, they are better for updated, 60s-style cuts.

I don't know any Japanese companies that would sew on Levi's arcuates - although Full Count arcuates can be altered to mimic them, they are better for updated, 60s-style cuts.

Double Volante might do it if one asks nicely, I imagine, since he does custom orders.

Certain Warehouse models (1001sxx) with some unpicking mimic the Levi's arcs, and give you a red tab, they just have a short inseam. 

Conners Sewing Factory would make it pretty high up this list , the garment studio prides itself i making period correct repro's using jeans from Mr Yawara Miura's extensive vintage collection as reference . would kill for a pair myself but they are made in really small runs and most if not all are sold domestically ( in Japan ) through pre orders