Visvim FW16

The collection is pretty cool this season. Lot's of really amazing fabrics and the price tags to go along with them. But I really like all the colors this season with muted oranges, reds, and greens. The orange on that puffer jacket can also be found in the Iris liner this season and it looks really good. Also the plaid shirting is pretty strong with some new check prints and gingham and the long rider has some knit insert panels (shirt in second pic) which is interesting. The only slight let down for me is the footwear collection and while there is some good stuff in there, it's missing a lot of the boots I typically enjoy. But there are a few new runner silhouettes, one being made of a wavy mesh fabric on the toe which is fantastic and the other is way more tech-y looking runner with multi panels (in leather/suede and smaller mesh) along with a suede fringe panel wrapping around the collar and a brand new, free-esque outsole. Over all, there are some very covetable items with some good updates to the classics as well as some new pieces which feel really fresh.

Pre-ordered the peasant version of the wool stripe dotera coat (pictured above with the turned up hat). As for footwear, imo there are some really good items: duck boot, zermatt but also some huge misses like those horrendous skytop fbt's. I like all the suiting fabrics and the tweed, it's an interesting take on fabrics that are typically used with other applications. I do think vis takes comfort for granted though, most are pretty terrible as a daily wear piece. My wool mies is like wearing a door mat, probably one of the most uncomfortable fabrics ever, and it sounds like the wool tweed is similar this fall. Haven't felt the oversized down in person but everybody who saw the collection in person panned it for feeling cheap. Pretty cool that they are naturally dying nylon now, and will definitely give some depth to the material. Hudson jacket is back in a nylon + wool shearling which looks great, if not a bit kitsch. Leathers are good as per usual, just impossible to justify spending 5.5-6.5k on a leather jacket. I actually prefer last fall's collection, but I do think there are more experimental items this season which will be interesting to see worn.

Edited by Fycus

the seasons a wet dream for sanjuro enthusiasts w/ six different types offered. the dotera is another iteration using silk, sometimes layered, as a lining. the most interesting piece is the shearling lined nd nylon lhamo robe which comes in at a cool 1.5mil yen. I'm interested to see how the dye holds up with wear.

one thing you won't catch in the product pics is the quality and character of the fabrics, particularly the trousers. as mentioned above there's a fair amount of tweed, some put to unorthodox use. sadly the two styles with the best weaves, hakama and granger jodphurs, are also the least wearable. I order a pair of hw slacks in wool/linen/mohair, they offer cornell slacks in the same material. also of note is the wool buffalo check 20L, it's fun.

footwear remains underwhelming and will remain so, we've got FIL exclusives for that. there's been some excitement over the new zermatt boot which is closer in aesthetic to brigs than a typical hiker and is w/o a tpu. 

for an outdoor themed season I was hoping for more parkas and gore but i guess we'll have to settle for uber puffers.

Whats the sanjuro in picture 4. Whats the fabrication, is it tweed?  Anyone have a price on it.

That's the Dotera coat in navy wool stripe and will be around 2G while the silk version will be 4 and the harris tweed in silk will be a little over 4 as well.

I agree with you Ruco, that there are some good fabrics in the trousers this season. I actually really like the pastoral pants this time which feature a printed moleskin with a irregular broken stripe.

For some reason I am a little turned off by the new Zermatt boot, it just looks off to me. I can appreciate that it's a bit more simplified but the last looks huge to me and it just looks clunky. Wish the Brig would stay in the line at all times, it's definitely my favorite Vis boot. There is the Blackfoot boot which looks pretty cool with the fabric inlay at the heel. Pretty much looks like the Brigs but with a moc toe and some little fringe.

For some reason I am a little turned off by the new Zermatt boot, it just looks off to me. I can appreciate that it's a bit more simplified but the last looks huge to me and it just looks clunky. Wish the Brig would stay in the line at all times, it's definitely my favorite Vis boot. 

agreed on both counts. silhouette of a zermatt was always huge and brigs really are the best.

I'm excited about the tweed sanjuro and whatever those laramie/fbt crossover looking shoes are (pardon my ignorance). They appear to have a leather version as well as a version that almost looks like Visvim's take on flyknit/primeknit?

US prices are ballpark, jp prices pretax, either confirmed or based off existing releases

tweed or wool stripe dotera (non silk, believe it's thinsulate): 120,000jpy pre-tax or 2500 usd

tweed or wool stripe dotera (silk filled insulation): 290,000 or 4000-5000 usd

sanjuro jacket in wool/linen/mohair or tweed: 89,000 jpy or 1550 usd

hudson: 188,000jpy or 3,000 usd

commodore: 188,000 jpy or 3,000 usd

iris liner: 89,000jpy or 1550 usd

washed denim: 45,000jpy or 800 usd

zermatt: i think it is 89,000jpy or 1200 usd

Edited by Fycus

overall, i liked a lot of the outerwear. some of the non-outerwear is cool, but the majority of it i would never wear. given that i wear my thorson and sanjuro bomber regularly, i preordered the dotera silk in black, iris in black, sanjuro shirt in suiting fabric in black, and the huron moc in a beige color with cracked orange leather. 

Yea, some of the outerwear is really cool. I really liked the new Kobuk corduroy jacket and the YD canvas on the travail was even cooler than I thought it was going to be. Also, thought I would make note that the high water chinos this season have changed size-wise. They graded the pattern and now a size 2 fits like a 1, size 3 fits like a 2, and so on. Not sure if the standard chinos are the same or if any other pants/trousers are this way but thought the info might be useful. 

Also wanted the new Wally shirt but holy crap is that thing thick (and a little scratchy)! It was like wearing a jacket. The black elk gingham one was a much better weight and much softer.

Edited by inthedarkesthour

• 1 month later...

So appreciate your guys would like to share your own opinion.

I also very like the pic 4 the white lining one.

I heard the iris jacket will come out again, is it true? How is that?

Besides that, does anyone know the BLACK ELK FLANNEL L/S(N.D) will come out at 16aw or not?

Thanks you so much!!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...