Mid to late 90's emo saved my life

poly800rock

I don't want to get in an internet argument with england, because I'm entirely confident I'll lose (plus, arguing about emo isn't cool), but... Saves the Day were crap. And you're right, I didn't say they outright sucked, I said they were never cool. As someone in the music-listening-to population, I've been to my fair share of shitty concerts, and Saves the Day played at several of them.

Sure, their songs were catchy, but so are, um, cell phone rings. Sure, they were a tight band, but so is Ratdog. I hate them more with my heart than with my head--I hold them partially responsible for the bastardization and mall-ification of an otherwise enjoyable sub-genre of music. If you listen to a few Fallout Boy/My Chemical Romance tunes, then Rites of Spring; you can't make a connection. Listen to that ear-wrenching tripe, then Braid; a passing resemblance. There is a direct line from Saves the Day, through Midtown/Newfound Glory, to the new crop of haircut emo. To completely punch a hole in my argument, I fucking love Lifetime, though that's more for associative reasons than cold hard light of day musical reasons.

I'm not gonna say I don't have some STD songs on my mp3 player, but I also have a half dozen Doobie Brothers songs on there, so that's not saying much. Saves the Day were never cool.

Just in honor of this thread, I came home from work and emo-d out:

Eh, I still long for the days of wearing retardedly tight t-shirts, being grossly skinny, being bummed about losing my "first love," and singing my lungs out at STD concerts, so I am pretty biased........wait, did I just say that? So gay right now........ :cool:

englandmj7, i dont see why you use your position in the music industry to stick up for one band and to show disrespect for another.. in my oppinion if any band has made it far enough for a variety of people have a listen to them and gain a fanbase, then they are deserving of any and everyones respect.

It was more of a humorous jab at Shoreman.....no harm intended.

Eh, I still long for the days of wearing retardedly tight t-shirts, being grossly skinny, being bummed about losing my "first love," and singing my lungs out at STD concerts, so I am pretty biased........wait, did I just say that? So gay right now........

There were days when I... <sniff> just felt too much, you know?

. I'm dying to tell you I'm dying.

hey dong-man....don't you fucking start.......or I will seek a legion of dudes clad in this:

http://www.bleedingstarclothing.com/

With haircuts like this:

4e0t75c.jpg

on your ass.........they will scratch out your eyes with bloody fingernails and sing a song of your death whilst crying over your candle-lit corpse.

its called shitty pop-punk. this is NOT emo. notice how none of the bands mentioned yet have anything to do with this trash. not that i want to start an argument about this, it just seems pretty obvious that that picture and that website have VERY little to do with 'mid to late 90's emo' and more to do with being really cool via myspace and listening to legitimately whiney bitch music.

Hmm, I'm not quite sure if all these bands fit the category but I scanned my iPod for music that I think would fit. These are some of my favorites for sure.

Belle & Sebastian, Ben Folds Five, Bright Eyes, Dinosaur Jr, Commander Venus, Elliott Smith, EMBRACE, Fugazi, Guided By Voices, Mineral, My Bloody Valentine, Red House Painters, Sonic Youth (The new album is fucking ace!) Yea they might not all be from the earlys 90's but I was only about 1 year old then, so I wouldnt really remember. :D

Hmm, I'm not quite sure if all these bands fit the category but I scanned my iPod for music that I think would fit. These are some of my favorites for sure.

Belle & Sebastian, Ben Folds Five, Bright Eyes, Dinosaur Jr, Commander Venus, Elliott Smith, EMBRACE, Fugazi, Guided By Voices, Mineral, My Bloody Valentine, Red House Painters, Sonic Youth (The new album is fucking ace!) Yea they might not all be from the earlys 90's but I was only about 1 year old then, so I wouldnt really remember. :D

none of those bands are emo. except mineral. if i started a thread 90's alternative bands saved my life, you'd be on point.

fourfa.com

although my opinions differ at times, this is one of the most accurate "emo" accounts i have read.

if not it's pretty entertaining.

i'm sure that the people who know what they're talking about have already been there though. enjoy!

as a kid who grew up listening to a wide, wide variety of music, one genre i could never vibe with, and still can't, is post-80's hardcore.

are there really that many disenchanted middle-class and wealthy white kids that need to watch their buddies shout in a basement about societal issues that they themselves contribute to?

that being said, saves the day are most definitely to blame for facilitating the rapid assimilation of emo and hardcore into the stale pop-punk mainstream that emerged in the late 90's after Green Day lost its hold on the record-buying public. that some bands managed to capitalize on a relatively new sound so quickly doesn't surprise me at all, as it was around this time, too, that the internet started to play a much bigger role in the promotion and distribution of music.

that being said,

just wondering if anyone (unlike myself) actually gave rye coalition a chance after their first full length? the karp split was next to godly. actually they were just "rye" back then, right?

as a kid who grew up listening to a wide, wide variety of music, one genre i could never vibe with, and still can't, is post-80's hardcore.

are there really that many disenchanted middle-class and wealthy white kids that need to watch their buddies shout in a basement about societal issues that they themselves contribute to?

agreed. i liked post-80's hardcore though, then i realized the above, then stopped listening.

i may be wrong, but sunny day, mineral, boy's life, early jimmy eat world, etc ect...

i don't feel that they were musically part of the emo genre.

people in the "emo so-called scene" loved and listened to those bands, but it was also fashionable at the time to listen to the smiths.

they were part of the scene, but wasn't there some mention (not on this thread) of that sound being post hardcore/post emo. i have heard it even coined as "math-rock."

i am not trying to start a emo-related genre debate, but wondered if anyone was as deluded as myself. thanks.

minerals cover of crazy was amazing.

lifetime was the best although I wouldnt consider them "emo"

mineral's love my way cover is 10x better

i may be wrong, but sunny day, mineral, boy's life, early jimmy eat world, etc ect...

i don't feel that they were musically part of the emo genre.

people in the "emo so-called scene" loved and listened to those bands, but it was also fashionable at the time to listen to the smiths.

they were part of the scene, but wasn't there some mention (not on this thread) of that sound being post hardcore/post emo. i have heard it even coined as "math-rock."

i am not trying to start a emo-related genre debate, but wondered if anyone was as deluded as myself. thanks.

the argument of what is and what isn't genre wise will see no end.