Heavyweight Denim Championships 2013 - 2015 - Official Thread

Megatron1505

HC-IH-01 - Iron Heart MBB Prototypes

I've been rotating these with 2 pairs of Trophy and a pair of Jelado jeans (as basically I have no hopes of winning, and would probably be declared the worlds biggest cheat if I did). The facings and indigo loss don't match that of others, but it is all honest wear, and fading exactly to my body, which to me is what this thing is all about. 

2014-01-04115906_zpsfd8ec0f8.jpg

2014-01-04115920_zps57be2643.jpg

2014-01-04115927_zpsbabeb67e.jpg

2014-01-04115937_zps96e7183f.jpg

2014-01-04120052_zpsd63fc46d.jpg

2014-01-04120110_zps461c5b1a.jpg

2014-01-04120004_zpsd9579544.jpg

Winter and Epic Eats Challenge

Flathead 2015

HC-SF-76

Having some fun in the snow today.  It's supposed to be high of -10 degrees here, not including windshield on Monday.  Looking forward to that.

WP_20140104_002.jpg

WP_20140104_005.jpg

Don Carnitas Restaurant in Chicago.  Literally, the best Mexican food I've eaten in my entire life.  I walked in and their was a Mariachi band playing, I knew this place was going to be legit.  Stewed Goat, Carnitas, Cactus Salad, Chicharones.  Affordable and great eats!

1450194_714581018554468_583704489_n.jpg

Maxwell Street Polish at Portillos!

WP_20131221_0021.jpg

Dudes, I'm writing an article about the half way point of the HWDC (well actually Albert Lee and Rawr Denim is writing it, I'm just providing notes and images). Could I ask some of you guys to email me any images which you are particularly pleased with to [email protected].

I can only use about 6 images, but your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you  :) 

Edited by Megatron1505

My personal opinion is most peoples jeans don't see water enough (especially the extremely dark/black indigo ones like IHs.)  In addition to wearing my jeans hard they get a soak every 1-3 weeks depending on what I have going on in my life and what season it is.  Summer will generally get a soak every week with two being max, while winter is 2-3 weeks.  Every soak I see indigo shed and a slight color shift. YMMV.

I don't really post on here, or much in general, which is why they just kind of pop up, you can go over to the IH boards and sift through the pictures only thread if you wish to see their evo from new.

*edit*  If I had to make a guess I'd say I've done 18-20 soaks so far.

Edited by fanya

The term "worn hard" gets thrown around here very commonly and is so ambiguous.  I guess it's all relative and left to interpretation.  I feel that I beat the crap out of mine (death marches/camping/kayaking/hardcore shows), but still looks like brand new denim.....It's amazing to see Fanya, Netley, and Max's evo where I am not even remotely close to their level.  

I'm trying not to get jealous and have to accept it's all about the journey and not the destination.  Great job guys!

My personal opinion is most peoples jeans don't see water enough (especially the extremely dark/black indigo ones like IHs.)  In addition to wearing my jeans hard they get a soak every 1-3 weeks depending on what I have going on in my life and what season it is.  Summer will generally get a soak every week with two being max, while winter is 2-3 weeks.  Every soak I see indigo shed and a slight color shift. YMMV.

I don't really post on here, or much in general, which is why they just kind of pop up, you can go over to the IH boards and sift through the pictures only thread if you wish to see their evo from new.

Very interesting...This is probably a newbie question but why would someone choose to soak their jeans as opposed to just washing them? Also are you soaking inside out and using warm water? How long are you soaking for each time? 

Edited by 1fookntitefd

I have found that some of the activities I take part in, tend to wear the indigo faster than other. Sitting at a desk all day won't put much wear into the jeans. In other N&F pairs I found there was a magic number of months that once past the indigo loss was much quicker.

I know of one denim competition that a guy went to extreme measure to win, and win he did. (All on the up and up though)

Just remember this isn't a contest to see who can loose the most indigo, the judges might favour a more lightly faded pair of jeans over a pair that has been really beaten up.

had my share of RAWs in my life.  

IMO, water facilitates loss of indigo

but,  contrast fades develop from frequency & intensity of friction from wear.

Very interesting...This is probably a newbie question but why would someone choose to soak their jeans as opposed to just washing them? Also are you soaking inside out and using warm water? How long are you soaking for each time? 

I guess it depends on what constitutes a "soak". I've always assumed that soaking your jeans meant no soap and no agitation, with whatever temperature water desired. I don't know what this would accomplish other than minor shrinking and even more minor cleaning, thus it would seem to be nearly pointless IMHO. Perhaps I'm wrong, or perhaps Fanya defines "soak" differently (maybe he uses soap but no agitation or vice versa). Whatever he's doing, it's working like a motherfucker. :o

When I soak, I don't turn them inside out. That makes sense to prevent creases from the waching machine, but not in the baththub. I also soak frequently (maybe every 6 weeks) in the beginning, then start with handwashes when the jeans need it and then do frequent machine washes every 4-6 weeks. The reasons: Your jeans are fresh and clean in the beginning and at least I try to save them from the sweaty dirty stuff at first. So it takes time for them to smell and it allows thecreases to settle nicely. Soaking and handwashing helps to keep those creases in, when the time for refreshing the jeans has come. I do machine washes when the jeans show obvious fades and creases, that won't get lost after washing.

But I'm a lazy bum and choose 1.400 RPM spinning to dry them a bit. If you do a machine wash without spin, the result might be similar to a soak, especially when you don't add detergent.

Jeans can tell stories. My denim obsession started last Thanksgiving when I bought my first pair of IHs from the SE store in SF.

I'm a denim newb, I know nothing outside of the two pair of IHs I have and the forum reading I've done.  I've read ever page of the 25 oz denim threads and more on the IH forums. I liked the blueness that IHs turned into and the after washings but wanted the high contrast fades.  I asked questions about how many washes and soaks.  The pairs with long age and no washings or soaks were black as the day they were put on and just white in the high wear areas.  I started to experience this with my 23oz 634s after I wore them for 4 months with no washings.  I finally soaked them in a tub, they lighted up a little and the creases were still there but they were still dirty due to having slid in 300+ landings in a sticky, muddy field. So the next day I threw them in the washer to try to actually clean them and while they were cleaner as a whole but also washed away quite a bit of the definition of the creases.  Bummer, at least the MBBs were coming in the next couple days.

From the start I had planed to do a soak on the MBBs every 6.  I did my first soak at 6 weeks and after more consideration and small discussion on the IH boards I decided to go every week or two.

I say soak, but I didn't have a tub where I lived and I thought the bucket method was not ideal so I just decided to shower with my jeans.  So on my day off I would wake up in the morning, take a 20 min shower soaking the jeans, I like hot showers so the water was as hot as I could stand it, increasing as I adjusted to the temperature, if there was any mud or ground in dirt I tried to remember where it was and then give it a rubbing to try to get it out. I didn't get the dirt out every time but I never had an issue with my pants smelling in the slightest and I work outside in the summer. They were then hung outside to dry.  I've never used soap on them until three weeks ago when I applied "Shout" on the knees to try to get some of the forever slight brown tinge out from the summers landings and skydiving.  It worked so well I had to apply "Shout" over the whole jeans in the soak I did a week ago as the knees were now whiter than the rest of the jeans.  It worked great IMO.

Hard wear is subjective.  It also depends on what you want out of your jeans.  These jeans have been worn everyday when they weren't drying on a line. The more active you can be the better for high contrast fades.   Mine have 800 skydives, which puts me in a crampt tiny plane for 2000+ hours, accumulating 500+ minutes of freefall, 100+ hours in the saddle under the canopy, less than perfect landings plus countless adventures.  I have a hard time sitting still for long and a dog that needs walking.  I am definitely not the hardest person on jeans here, construction, automotive workers, etc destroy jeans more than I do.

I agree with BrownMetallic's post above. My personal opinion is if you want high contrast fades then soaking is your best option, I like showering with mine because they never lose their shape.  Washers are the devil.  Water is good for cotton.  I have one minor crotch repair that I stitched myself.  I should probably add a few more stitches but other that they have held together wonderfully.  Cotton needs water. Water is life. YMMV

I'm please with the results so far.  I sometimes stare at my pants for too long. I love trying to spot nice denim out there, no luck yet. These are done skydiving, they had a long great season and I feel another season is going to leave them without any definition but I'll continue wearing them outside of that and rotate a new pair to air out for the 2014 season.

Enjoy the journey :)

Edited by fanya

Nice write up! I just have to disagree with this:

Washers are the devil. 

I avoided washers when i started with raw denim, but I changed my mind.  Meanwhile I like it better, when jeans show dedication and fades from natural use, and washing is a very important part of that use. And I never experienced a bad thing because of using the machine, in fact it adds to the fades and character (for example roping and traintracks.  Fanyas pair lacks roping...). It shows IMO, that jeans are worn as they were intended.

And I think, many that are around here for a long time made a similar development. In the beginning it's all about high contrast and placing weird stuff in the pockets for fades. Then you learn to appreciate the beauty of so-called vintage fades.

Please see this as a personal opinion to show new guys, that washing, wether it be the machine or the tub, is nothing that harms the evo of your jeans.

Edited by Max Power

The above shows: Two very different attempts of washing and caring for their denim. But both guys have incredible jeans with great fades. 

Conclusion: just do what you think is right.

Think less about washing and stuff, just WEAR your jeans constantly (this is what both did)

edit: yeah..it's really me who said that :D

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

The above shows: Two very different attempts of washing and caring for their denim. But both guys have incredible jeans with great fades. 

Conclusion: just do what you think is right.

Think less about washing and stuff, just WEAR your jeans constantly (this is what both did)

edit: yeah..it's really me who said that :D

Thanks for the edit, I thought your account had been hacked  :P

I would agree, I think some people tend to overthink washing, soaking, contrasts, fades aspect of raw denim. We all like to see a beat up pair of jeans, but it's the joruney of getting the jeans there which is the important part and not the end results.

It is interesting to see how each person treats their denim differently though!