lets talk watches

poopie boy

does anyone knows what watch is this guy wearing in this picture?

it looks like a rolex 6538, but with sterile dial (?)

The lack of the crown guard is a little weird. But I've never seen a sterile Kingston.

I feel like I've seen a few sterile Benrus divers but never with the mercedes hands. Could be a custom joint he got somewhere.

There are tons of great sub homages out there. What's with the fixation on that particular watch?

Edit: Ril is a relatively new watch company and this looks identical to what that dude is wearing.

w_img1.jpg

I hope he didn't pay $1k for it. For that kind of money you can do a lot better than a Sub homage with a Japanese movement.

fuck me. was setting my 1950s explorer and spun the crown and the hour hand moved without the minute hand moving. now the hands aren't aligned, and when the minute hand is is at 12, the hour hand isn't at an hour, it's at like a quarter of. i can't replicate so i can't set the hour hand independently. any advice? thanks.

really nice pickup.

the sinn bracelet is amazing.

Thanks! The watch is really great. Has been spot on for the last week. The chrono doesn't have the stutter that you find on some 7750s. Also, I didn't know this, but when the rotor spins, you can actually feel the watch wobble. It's a very distinct feeling. Apparently, the rotor is kind of heavy so it spins like crazy iside the watch.

Agreed. I think that sinn (and guinand) make very nice bracelets.

Thanks! The watch is really great. Has been spot on for the last week. The chrono doesn't have the stutter that you find on some 7750s. Also, I didn't know this, but when the rotor spins, you can actually feel the watch wobble. It's a very distinct feeling. Apparently, the rotor is kind of heavy so it spins like crazy iside the watch.

Agreed. I think that sinn (and guinand) make very nice bracelets.

Your 756 looks great! I agree that the Sinns have a very noticeable wobble - give it a little twist on the wrist and it vibrates strongly for a couple seconds, and I wear mine n bed too, so I will be there laying still and notice the watch kind of purring then as well.

Thanks Dis. I was considering the 356 for a while, but I wanted a design that was unique to Sinn so the 756 won out. If you like Sinn, you should checkout helmut Sinn's other brand, Guinand. apparently, the company is very easy to deal with and are open to customizing for little to no charge.

z1442958x6.jpg

Pictures dont do these watches justice. I really need to tweak it on photoshop or something to show what my eyes see. The dial also has a very nice 3D effect with the hands and the raised lume.

How to cope with leather strap that smells like sweat after a year of abuse??? Replace it ?

yes. if it's a nice watch, typically you can ask for a strap replacement as part of your maintenance check. For example, I had a new black leather strap put on my omega. My brother's JLC came back with a new crocodile leather strap.

It does cost a bit, but if you can't spend that money, don't get a nice watch.

If you are sweating a lot because you are doing a lot of sports, then consider getting a different kind of band if the replacement costs suck.

yes. if it's a nice watch, typically you can ask for a strap replacement as part of your maintenance check. For example, I had a new black leather strap put on my omega. My brother's JLC came back with a new crocodile leather strap.

It does cost a bit, but if you can't spend that money, don't get a nice watch.

If you are sweating a lot because you are doing a lot of sports, then consider getting a different kind of band if the replacement costs suck.

getting a new OEM strap from JLC must cost an arm and a leg. I have the bill for the last service on my JLC and it was near $700, not including a strap. It was just a routine service. I'd imagine it'd push the bill well over $1000 if you added the strap. That's pretty insane.

its an ocean pvd with a vintage red dial. Gunter doesn't switch out dials anymore.

Yeah, it's an Ocean Black with the Vintage Red dial, I preordered it a while back when Gunter was still receptive to such things.Have to say, I've been really impressed with the quality of the Steinhart, especially at the price point.