the military dive watches will scratch that sub itch

and they have a history of their own

international watchman dot com has a bunch to choose from, too

many benrus type 1 homages would work

thanks b

never been a seiko fan, although i realize they make some nice watches

precista is just out of my price range, but looks pretty damn nice

might consider springing for one, or a cwc

speaking of which, further research reveals mwc has a bad rep for making shit up vis a vis supplying the british army

also the hamilton sub has like HAMILTON ISLAND or some shit printed on it, which is wack

will browse intl watchman

looking into luminox - thoughts?

anybody ever seen this guy's watches?

http://stores.ebay.ca/minorva

from basic $97 to $4k tourbillon watches

i might buy a basic one just to see how they are.

Look like Sea-Gull movements with glitzed up cases and a faux-Euro-sounding badge. I'd rather just get an actual Sea-Gull that doesn't pretend to be anything but Chinese. Sea-Gull's movements, though they are copies of ETA movements, are of excellent quality.

Have a look at a great review of a Sea-Gull movement here:

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=439488#p439488 and here: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=440020#p440020

Eriddw: Ye Watchbuys is the only authorized sinn dealer within the US. You would have to go through them and see what they could do for you. No other AD out of the US will sell you a Sinn.

FYI I bought a Sinn 356 FliegerChrono from a Swiss dealer back in 2003. He shipped to me here in the US. I saved a bundle over Watchbuys' price. IIRC, it was right around $600 on a bracelet.

The dealer was Markus Tschopp (sp) of silvermagic watches. I found him via timezone. Not sure if he'll still do the same.

^^

nice

also nice sub pagoda, looks good on the strap

that prs 3 le with the blue face = BOOM

btw was gonna say in general it seems like the stainless steel/blue face combo doesnt get much love; previous level? personal preference?

full discolsure i also used to really want an aquaracer in that style back in the day

Look like Sea-Gull movements with glitzed up cases and a faux-Euro-sounding badge. I'd rather just get an actual Sea-Gull that doesn't pretend to be anything but Chinese. Sea-Gull's movements, though they are copies of ETA movements, are of excellent quality.

Have a look at a great review of a Sea-Gull movement here:

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=439488#p439488 and here: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=440020#p440020

well, the $100 skeleton's are whatever

which is what I assume you're comparing to

because the tourbillon is nothing like the Sea-Gull

I'm just impressed they have tourbillon movements in (some of) their watches

because the tourbillon is nothing like the Sea-Gull

I'm just impressed they have tourbillon movements in (some of) their watches

Trust me, those are Sea-Gull movements. The centre tourbillon movement is the TY800, for example.

The link to the auto movement was just to show some impressions of Chinese movements compared to their Swiss counterparts in general (the takeaway being that they're mechanically very sound but have a lower level of 'finish' than their Swiss counterparts).

If you like the look of the watches, I'd go for it. All I'm saying that if I were in the market for a Chinese tourbillon watch, I would go with one with a proper Sea-Gull badge rather than a made-up faux-Euro name. Example of a very nice SG here -

http://usseagull.com/EnProductShow.asp?ClassID=83&ID=120

(Ignore the inflated MSRP, look around WatchUSeek and the other watch boards, and you should find some sellers who can score them for a fraction of the suggested price)

my fault - i misinterpreted what you were saying. Thought you were comparing the skeleton's to the Sea-Gull

and yeah, i agree with not wanting to buy a Chinese Troubillon (especially given the price point - i'd pick up a much better watch than the ones on the ebay site)

but will definitely check out the Sea-Gull (this is new to me)

thank you kindly

Different look for the Seamaster 2254.50. I wear this on the bracelet most often and a Zulu when I'm around water. Lately I've been envious of you Panerai guys with the nice leather 24mm+ straps. Unfortunately, nobody makes thick panerai style straps in the Seamaster's 20mm size.

I decided to buy an inexpensive 24mm thick leather strap from Don Ginsler (great quality & excellent value) who I found via TZ many years ago. I performed a small surgery on the strap with an exacto knife to get it to fit between the lugs and here is the result.

It's a pretty shoddy cut job, but maybe next time, I'll see it I can get a cleaner, more professional looking cut. It did satisfy my urge, however to emulate the panerai look. It's not for everyone but it's a nice changeup for me. I've owned this Seamaster for about 10 yrs now. The strap & buckle have been on the watch for maybe 6 months now.

DSC_8329.jpg

DSC_8330.jpg

DSC_8343.jpg

If you took that strap back off, wet a bone and smooth out the raw leather edges, and then use some brown acrylic paint to seal it up, it'd look much cleaner where you modified it.

It's pretty raw looking as it stands now, but at arm's length nobody but me notices.

Thx for the idea, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Note, this was the 2nd attempt at cutting down a larger than 20mm strap. First time out, I bought a real cheap 22mm strap and took a dremel to it. Needless to day, it looked horrible. For this one, the razor knife did the trick nicely, but as you pointed out, I never cleaned it up. I'd like to do just that.

IIRC, these thick straps are only ~$30 and the buckle is another $10 or $12. Nice buckle, IMO.