superconfessional

so i'm talking to an old friend/ flame. thought she hated me, just decided to send her a text...turns out she'd been raped and didn't hate me, just had to get through everything and didnt want to put me through it

so i feel like absolute shit

i've never really considered how truly life-shattering rape can be. i need to watch a heartwrenching docudrama about the struggle of inner-city black women to come back after rape or something.

that will teach me.

i've never really considered how truly life-shattering rape can be. i need to watch a heartwrenching docudrama about the struggle of inner-city black women to come back after rape or something.

that will teach me.

yea, it like...threw her into alcoholism and terrible things like that. really sucks, i'm trying to do as much as i can, she's a good good friend i just lost touch with

whenever i drink my heart beats like 10x as fast... is that normal? after 2 beers i feel like i'm gonna have a heartattack.

i'll bet you glow brighter than hong kong on chinese new year.

Mass: same thing happens to me. As an azn I find it impossible to avoid having a racing heart/racing breath. It's really a matter of delaying it until the end of the night. I just slow roll drinking instead of binging like a college freshman and NO shots or red bull/rockstar drinks.

To avoid the redness (aka Asian Flush) take a Pepcid AC or generic version at least an hour ahead of time. I had a Pre-med major tell me that azns lack an enzyme to deal with alcohol which causes the redness. Pepcid/generic works for me. Just don't slam drinks or take rough shots or it won't work.

I have a white friend who turns red. She takes Benadryl beforehand and it works but then you have to deal with passing out at the bar because Benadryl makes you drowsy as shit.

To avoid the redness (aka Asian Flush) take a Pepcid AC or generic version at least an hour ahead of time. I had a Pre-med major tell me that azns lack an enzyme to deal with alcohol which causes the redness. Pepcid/generic works for me. Just don't slam drinks or take rough shots or it won't work.

I do not lack this enzyme. I don't turn red until about 12 shots of vodka.

I wish I didn't have lactose intolerance though. Fuck.

Normally, alcohol is metabolized by alcohol dehydrogenase and Asians have a less active allele than the one found in European populations. Basically Asian glow is an allergic reaction to the buildup of acetylaldehyde that our bodies can't metabolize properly. It's believed that the antihistamine effects of the Pepcid fights the reaction.

i don't turn red, but i get drunk after like 5 beers.

i'm getting my lucky strikes tomorrow and i'm so fucking happy, no more shitty parliaments.

For some reason I find hoarding cash more appealing than buying clothes at the moment. I have more than enough to buy pretty much everything I want at the moment but I like logging into paypal and staring at my balance.

I'm guessing I don't really want it as badly as I thought I did.

I wish I didn't have lactose intolerance though. Fuck.

I remember when a friend majoring in Sociology told me a huge percentage of asians are lactose intolerant. Thought he was just making a weird, boring joke. Thank god I'm not. Reminds me - I have some strawberry ice cream. Mmmmmmm.

Normally, alcohol is metabolized by alcohol dehydrogenase and Asians have a less active allele than the one found in European populations. Basically Asian glow is an allergic reaction to the buildup of acetylaldehyde that our bodies can't metabolize properly. It's believed that the antihistamine effects of the Pepcid fights the reaction.

...Indeed? Ima trust you on this. If it is antihistamine effects helping that explains why Benadryl helps too, maybe?

I don't think Benadryl works but then again it might, I try to avoid that stuff because u get the weird dreams and I tend to sleep hard after liquor. I get red about 1 out of 10 drinking sessions, so I just try to keep my body heat low before hit the hard stuff. If it's 100 degrees out and I'm jumping around pounding shots or drinking room temp beers I'll get all red, but if I ease into it, drink 4 or 5 cold beers and then start my drinks, I'm alright.

I remember when a friend majoring in Sociology told me a huge percentage of asians are lactose intolerant. Thought he was just making a weird, boring joke. Thank god I'm not. Reminds me - I have some strawberry ice cream. Mmmmmmm.

Cultures descended from peoples who consumed little dairy (much of China, for instance) or who turned their milk into mature cheese (which removes the lactose) tend to be lactose intolerant. It's a genetic trait that's highly prevalent among certain groups.

you are not alone out there!

http://echeng.com/asianblush/

in other blurbs (from wiki):

50% of the Pacific Rim Asian population inherit a mutant ADH known as ADH2*2 that leads to faster-than-normal degradation of ethanol to acetaldehyde. ADH deformities are not usually found in Caucasians, Native Americans, etc (Agarwal and Goedde, 1992). Moreover, 45-53% of the Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Taiwanese, and Korean population possess a mutant ALDH2 known as ALDH2*2, which is only 8% as effective as the normal, wild-type enzyme (ALDH*1).

so i'm talking to an old friend/ flame. thought she hated me, just decided to send her a text...turns out she'd been raped and didn't hate me, just had to get through everything and didnt want to put me through it

so i feel like absolute shit

Ah man, that's tough to hear.

Never stop listening!