superconfessional

For the record, "thinking outside of the box" is a fucking stupid phrase only suitable for use in corporate team-building activities.

If you got with the program and facilitated some blue-sky thinking you wouldn't waste so many hours whining on the internet. Hopefully we can put this one to bed before tomorrow's pre-meeting.

For the record, Clopek, and you are my dude and all, but you don't seem to understand the numbers of which you are were referring. By definition, almost everybody at Mac is in the average intelligence range. Same thing goes for every other school in the world (unless there is one that uses a non-academic standard for getting in). Exceptional intelligence is rare by definition as well. I don't disagree with you about how it feels like most people are retards, but in actuality they aren't. Retards are retards. Those people at Mac or any college are capable of a whole lot. They just do not act on it for whatever reason.

On the other hand, you should be cautious about saying that you are in the 95th percentile. People tend to grossly overestimate their own abilities. 70% of all high school students in the US think they have above average leadership skills. Obviously far less than that actually do, even with a varying interpretations on that that means. Even more amazing, 95% of university professors think they do above average work (this is especially amazing since 5% is a pretty standard margin of error)!

My friend at Mac has a general intelligence in the 98th percentile. However he can barely read or right and is probably gets low sixties. So while he is probably statistically the smartest, or one of the smartest people there, he gets some of the lowest grades.

The numbers to which I'm referring were made up by a friend of mine, possibly while drunk. Further, I am a testament to your point - I get horrible grades, so likely I'm in the 98th percentile just like your friend.

Okay, can we talk about something else now? I'm still not done this essay.

SAT Analogy Part I

Talking About How Smart You Are: Not Getting Good Grades::

A) Talking About How Much You KNOW Fashion: Not Stylin

B) Talking About How Rich You Could Be If You Tried: Not Hustlin'

C) All of the above

Don't know how it works in the US but the only way you're getting a first class degree in the UK is by busting your ass like a nutcase, not being intelligent. I can achieve pretty stupid scores on the numeracy and verbal reasoning tests that are used by graduate employers but I'm damned if I can ever write an essay longer than 2000 words without losing the will to live.

it's gotta be pretty much the same everywhere and i don't know if it really is about being smart.

like in what i study, math applied economy, some study their ass off 6 hours a day don't have much fun and don't miss a class and get like 12/20 at the semester average, and some miss lots of classes only study a few hours a week but madly before the exams and get nearly the same marks. the latter are more efficient and overally more interesting people, but it doesn't mean much.

I just broke up with my girlfriend of two years 4 nights ago. We had a long distance relationship and I figured it was for the best of us since she was sad all the time and I wasn't happy anymore and was tired of driving home every weekend to see her. She begged me not to break up with her and talked about she was losing her best friend, she wanted a second chance, how she still wanted to be friends and how often we could talk. she wants to meet with me to get closure and give me back my things. i hate having to ignore someone who is still in love with me. she just called me and i ignored then i got a text saying hey are you asleep? i just wanted to say goodnight. shit fucking sucks. i hope im doing the right thing.

On the other hand, you should be cautious about saying that you are in the 95th percentile. People tend to grossly overestimate their own abilities.

School tested me in grade 3. Said I was in the 98th percentile. Turns out I'm an idiot. (My own admition) Goes to show what that's worth.

The only reason i'm taking the path in life I am now is because of my parents.

I feel like it's warranted, despite having to raise 3 kids (i'm the oldest) with the odds being against their side, and emigrating to this country from Soviet Russia, they have done an amazing job.

My dad works 12 hour days doing some bullshit work killing himself just to sustain us, with one day off off a week. Never complains.

I graduated HS early last month strictly for the purpose of going to college early, getting it all done as quick as possible and then making their quality of life better. It's a 2.5 year RN program, and i'll be honest when I say that 90% of me doest want to do it, my passions lie elsewhere.

Last thing I want to do is shlep myself to a community college for 3 years to become a nurse, get a job, etc.

I'd love to go away to some school, have the basic college experience etc. I feel like i'm missing out on so much shit, but at the same time I feel like it's the right thing to do.

And it's not like they realize i'm doing it for them, I don't state it blatantly, they think this is what I wanna do.

I know it's the right to do, and I owe it to them. But I often wonder how much of myself am I giving up, and will this path ever lead to internal happiness? I absolutely will feel fulfilled and happy when I can begin to help out my parents, but like I said, at the same time how much of myself am I giving up?

To sum it all up, fuck kids like Haploid where everything is perfect for them and they create their own problems. Asking his parents why they put him on this planet hahaha.

edit - maybe there's some underlying issue in haploids life we're not aware of, so i'll extend some leeway in his direction.

I'm finally done this god damn essay. It's not very good, I'm not gonna lie to you here. 2400 words almost killed me. Double D was right.

The only reason i'm taking the path in life I am now is because of my parents.

I feel like it's warranted, despite having to raise 3 kids (i'm the oldest) with the odds being against their side, and emigrating to this country from Soviet Russia, they have done an amazing job.

My dad works 12 hour days doing some bullshit work killing himself just to sustain us, with one day off off a week. Never complains.

I graduated HS early last month strictly for the purpose of going to college early, getting it all done as quick as possible and then making their quality of life better. It's a 2.5 year RN program, and i'll be honest when I say that 90% of me doest want to do it, my passions lie elsewhere.

Last thing I want to do is shlep myself to a community college for 3 years to become a nurse, get a job, etc.

I'd love to go away to some school, have the basic college experience etc. I feel like i'm missing out on so much shit, but at the same time I feel like it's the right thing to do.

And it's not like they realize i'm doing it for them, I don't state it blatantly, they think this is what I wanna do.

I know it's the right to do, and I owe it to them. But I often wonder how much of myself am I giving up, and will this path ever lead to internal happiness? I absolutely will feel fulfilled and happy when I can begin to help out my parents, but like I said, at the same time how much of myself am I giving up?

To sum it all up, fuck kids like Haploid where everything is perfect for them and they create their own problems. Asking his parents why they put him on this planet hahaha.

Lots of Chinese Americans understand this really well. I think we might be the last lame major Asians. I think my Korean American and Japanese American have more leeway in choosing the direction of their lives. I can't tell you how many of my Chinese friends study something for 3 or 4 years just to realize that they hate their lives and change their majors, making them take 5 to 6 years to finish university instead of 3 like me, because I know what I wanted to do and did it.

Look, your parents work hard for you and your siblings to have a better life, and for you to be happy. You understand this really well, and it's damn great. I think the goal of life is to try to be happy. Do what you need to do, and if you're lucky, you will be happy while doing it, and succeed. Unless you were born into a shitty family and in poverty and have no way out of it, you should try not to be too bitchy. Depression does exist, and is a true bitch though; it's just a roll of the dice.

If you do your RN program, I don't see you lasting more than 5 years in it. And if you do, you will just end up depressed, and 'change your major'. Do what you need to do, and I hope your parents will understand. You are not betraying them. You seem like a good guy.

was it ground breaking? or did it just meet the requirments?

I did a mini-wallpaper x monocle magazine...basically the requirements was to compile any sort of design ideas in your head into a journal, i was the only entry that was entirely photoshopped. Not ground-breaking, but different enough from the rest of the pack.

But, at the same time, our struggles are very different. You have a very clear goal, and from that goal comes purpose and the will to live and persevere. I am so overwhelmed by choice, opportunity and free will that everything appears dull; almost as if I am stuck in the finishline of my predecessor's socioeconomic climb. Nowhere to go: wasting time.

There is a theory that it is primarily an abundance of choice that is causing disillusionment amongst todays youth.

http://blog.ted.com/2008/08/archive_dan_gil.php

http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice

Watch, read, and stop looking back.

And in your defense, we all have a right to complain. My gramps fought in World War II, and would likely tell me, you, and Mharcl to shut the fuck up. His dad fought in World War I, and would probably tell him he got off light.