superconfessional

Doggy, you're in high school. Technically you're not even a person yet.

And while you're there, read up on conjunctions.

Grading your test, i do not give you 100% at all. Not for content or structure.

You need to rethink your screen name if you don't want to be known as a liar.

Confession:

I bought a day planner because then I could organize my time. I put in large bold letters "FINISH 2S03 ESSAY BY TODAY" last Thursday. It is now today, and I haven't started the aforementioned 10-page research essay. It's due in 2 days, along with an article review, right before a midterm.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME!?!?!??

Confession:

I bought a day planner because then I could organize my time. I put in large bold letters "FINISH 2S03 ESSAY BY TODAY" last Thursday. It is now today, and I haven't started the aforementioned 10-page research essay. It's due in 2 days, along with an article review, right before a midterm.

yeah i have some ridiculous philosophy essay, 1000 words about the cosmological argument, due in the morning and i'm like 150 words in

doh

Confession:

I don't think there's anything wrong with you.

I once bought a dry erase board and put it on the back of my door and wrote this detailed breakdown of all the work i needed to do at the end of semester, and still somehow managed to forget to do some (most) of it, and procrastinate to a ridiculous extent for other assignments.

This semester I am not in college. I realized that no matter how organized I try to be, or how much time I give myself to work on my assignments, I still procrastinate because I simply do not give a fuck. I have priorities in life and school is not currently one of them. FIGHT THE SYSTEM CLOPEK BURN YOUR PLANNER DROP OUT AND STOP BEIN A MULE

my friend harrison has this theory that 95% of people in school aren't "smart" so much as they are "mule-smart", meaning they're in school because they just put in the hours required to succeed, and have a basic understanding of tasks they are put to.

this theory is completely ridiculous seeing as how our school has one of the highest ranked business programs in canada and a top ranking med sciences program. if the theory was "95% of humanities/social sciences (poli sci *shots fired*) students in 1-3rd year aren't 'smart'" then it'd probably be correct but the majority of those people just finish off with a general degree without honours.

this theory is completely ridiculous seeing as how our school has one of the highest ranked business programs in canada and a top ranking med sciences program. if the theory was "95% of humanities/social sciences (poli sci *shots fired*) students in 1-3rd year aren't 'smart'" then it'd probably be correct but the majority of those people just finish off with a general degree without honours.

there's a response to this but its just way too many words for right now.

Confession:

i'm usually really good with doing my work and the shit i write in my planner but i've been fucking up on it lately. i made a huge list of assignments/readings to do and under it wrote DON'T BE LAZY. QUIT FUCKING UP. thinking it will motivate me in some way.

I told you there was an answer to this....

Being the starting point guard on my local rec team for this year has been fun..just came off a strong game.

Also, why the fuck do I have to take a creative module when my major is accounting. Fuck thinking out of the box, more credit debit balance sheet nonsense pls.

sorry DJ Flame - but this is the 95% we're talking about. It's particularly offensive in political science/philosophy/etc. where thinking out of the box is your major. DJ Flame correctly points out that his major actually rewards mule-smartness.

I told you there was an answer to this....

again, to argue this is completely childish. from what i gather you understand "smart" to be someone creative, or someone who thinks outside the box. what in poli sci differs you from a business student? you're looking at pre established forms of governance and that's not exactly thinking outside the box or being creative; just like a business student no answer you give is going to be any different than one that has been heard before. also, not to knock you or harrison but if you were in the top 5% you'd at least be on the dean's list, which neither of you are. what it really sounds like is ya'll are just hating on business and med students who will, in the long run, make more money than you.

again, to argue this is completely childish. from what i gather you understand "smart" to be someone creative, or someone who thinks outside the box. what in poli sci differs you from a business student? you're looking at pre established forms of governance and that's not exactly thinking outside the box or being creative; just like a business student no answer you give is going to be any different than one that has been heard before. also, not to knock you or harrison but if you were in the top 5% you'd at least be on the dean's list, which neither of you are. what it really sounds like is ya'll are just hating on business and med students who will, in the long run, make more money than you.

I think I should re-establish a point I've already made. I know that there is a type of smart that I will never be - fact or formula memorization are not my thing, and hence I'm not a med student or commerce major. If Harrison and I aren't on the Dean's List it's probably more to do with a lack of effort than lack of ability...once again - I am fully capable of admitting that if there are people characterized as "mule-smart", I myself am dumb in this regard...so where does that leave me? Dumber than a mule, in some aspects.

I am not hating on Med students or businesses students, or engineers; they possess an ability to retain information and understand complex systems that I will never be able to. But the fact is, the vast majority of these students excel simply because they are able to memorize and regurgitate formulas, but can't necessarily critically engage with anything.

Those who will find themselves successful in the long run will do so largely because they separate themselves form the other 95%, demonstrating that in addition to being able to retain formulas and manipulate figures, they are able to think critically as well. DJ_Flame's program has clearly realized that this is the case, and therefore requires him to take more arts-based courses.

To use an anecdotal example, Dolly's dad constantly complains about the new recruits constantly being brought into the accounting firm for which he works. They are all fully capable of doing the tasks to which they are assigned - meaning, they can crunch numbers and understand charts and graphs. However, they have little in the way of interpersonal or critical thinking skills, meaning the vast majority will stagnate, while those who distinguish themselves from this group will move on to actually make lots of money. (What was his degree again? Economics and History? Interesting.)

And please, don't try and throw my marks in my face, I know what my downfalls are, and using the Dean's List to suggest that I'm stupid is like saying Nickelback is a good band because they sell millions of albums.

ps. Please don't use phrases like "pre established forms of governance" - I know that's a popular term in cultural studies, used frequently to criticize the capitalist patriarchy in which we live, but here it just sounds douchey. (It sounds douchey in cultural studies too)