superconfessional

Guest on-display

when i'm not in school i'm the most extroverted, outgoing person. but when I'm in a class with no one interesting to talk to, i can seem quiet and introverted

that's not you being introverted, that's there being an abundance of annoying stupid people not worth talking to.

my friend harrison has this theory that 95% of people in school aren't "smart" so much as they are "mule-smart", meaning they're in school because they just put in the hours required to succeed, and have a basic understanding of tasks they are put to.

I am sitting on my ass at home on a Friday night, as I am working tomorrow ( as per usual)

I am in need of some funds, I have things to list in the mall, and I have a great camera for pics.

I am too lazy to do it though, for some reason I cant get my ass out of this chair to arrange and take pics of my goods

my friend harrison has this theory that 95% of people in school aren't "smart" so much as they are "mule-smart", meaning they're in school because they just put in the hours required to succeed, and have a basic understanding of tasks they are put to.

I am going out on a limb here, but I am guessing your friend puts himself in the top %5....

A wee bit pretentious maybe???

what the fuck. last weekend I had some friends over at my apartment to chill.

they asked if they could come through this weekend and I said nah it's not a good weekend I have a bunch of stuff I need to read and study for.

It's 11:30 and I'm about to read through a book cover to cover and I hear a pounding on my door. They are all standing out there. I tell them again I can't do anything I need to finish my shit it's not a good weekend.

They drove two hours to get here and now are mad because I won't chill with them when I told them multiple times yesterday I couldn't.

Now I am pretty angry cuz they are pissed at me cuz I won't go out when they show up almost at midnight out of the blue? Fuck that, and I was probably going to call them up tomorrow morning after spending a couple of hours at the library and see if they wanted to come up but now that they are calling me out on shit forget about it.

On a side note, these "friends" have been slipping pretty far and all they do is smoke weed. One of them just called me and asked if they could come in a roll a blunt before they get back on the road. Idk what is even going on in their minds? Good friends.

oh and edit: I really can't chill because I have things due via email tomorrow morning.

I am going out on a limb here, but I am guessing your friend puts himself in the top %5....

A wee bit pretentious maybe???

no, it's less pretentious than it is cynical. I mean, I'd put myself in the top 5% (as in 95th percentile, not 96th-100th) and therefore in the non-mule category, but that's less a testament to my own intelligence and more a commentary on how incredibly stupid the general population of our school really is.

further, it also suggests that i'm dumb in the way that a lot of dumb people are smart, which is not exactly self-aggrandizing.

No...not like that. Allow me to illustrate an example.

Textbook: "in July of 1914, the Arch-Duke of the Austria, Franz Ferdinand, was assassinated by members of a Serbian nationalist group, known as the Black Hand."

T.A. : "Can anyone explain some of the deeper, underlying origins of the first world war?"

Student X: "Well, I heard that like, the Serbians assassinated this Austiran, like, duke?"

T.A. :

KenPark-Suicide.gif

No...not like that. Allow me to illustrate an example.

Textbook: "in July of 1914, the Arch-Duke of the Austria, Franz Ferdinand, was assassinated by members of a Serbian nationalist group, known as the Black Hand."

T.A. : "Can anyone explain some of the deeper, underlying origins of the first world war?"

Student X: "Well, I heard that like, the Serbians assassinated this Austiran, like, duke?"

T.A. :

KenPark-Suicide.gif

is this a real life example? cuz i feel like i'm reading a very bad wannabe fast times at ridgemont high script

what the fuck is smart and mule smart.

Yes, my TA actually blew his brains out in class. It was pretty shocking, but we moved on with discussion and discovered that rising nationalism, economic concerns and an arms race (all rooted in a rapidly industrializing Europe) were the underlying causes he was looking for.

and just so we're clear here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

what the fuck. last weekend I had some friends over at my apartment to chill.

they asked if they could come through this weekend and I said nah it's not a good weekend I have a bunch of stuff I need to read and study for...................

Sounds like you need some new friends broski.

Confucius say: watch who you choose to befriend

Lose your virginity and stfu for fucks sake.

My confession doesn't necessarily only translate to "I'm depressed". It's more like "I'm depressed and there seems to be nothing I can do about it. I shouldn't even feel depressed anyway, it's not like I live an unpleasant life."

I'll be the first to admit that I have it great; that billions of other people have it far worse than me and that I don't deserve to feel self-pity. But that doesn't make it go away. All of your advice is, although hard to stomach, almost entirely valid.

Clopek is single handedly holding up this thread right now. Thank you. Also its more like 99%, 95% mule quotient is giving humanity too much credit.

On another note-

"I'm depressed". It's more like "I'm depressed and there seems to be nothing I can do about it." - you are saying your not talking about being depressed, but your saying your depressed.

Thats fucking clown shoes.

My confession doesn't necessarily only translate to "I'm depressed". It's more like "I'm depressed and there seems to be nothing I can do about it. I shouldn't even feel depressed anyway, it's not like I live an unpleasant life."

I'll be the first to admit that I have it great; that billions of other people have it far worse than me and that I don't deserve to feel self-pity. But that doesn't make it go away. All of your advice is, although hard to stomach, almost entirely valid.

You should read Candide

But if you too lazy to read

the key to happiness is to cultivate your fucking garden

no, it's less pretentious than it is cynical. I mean, I'd put myself in the top 5% (as in 95th percentile, not 96th-100th) and therefore in the non-mule category, but that's less a testament to my own intelligence and more a commentary on how incredibly stupid the general population of our school really is.

further, it also suggests that i'm dumb in the way that a lot of dumb people are smart, which is not exactly self-aggrandizing.

I actually agree completely with the statement, I just find its usually everyone that complains states that they are different from the majority ( ie they are not the average person) and when everyone shares that view, it defeats the purpose of the saying completely. But there is a HUGE difference from book smarts/people who memorize details, and people who understand the details and why they happened.

I find so many people in my field who don't know anything, it amazes me that they got past school at all, so I see your point

And Astro, wasn't disagreeing with the statement, but more that the deliveryman of such statements always seems to feel that they are the only one who "gets it" Ask any educated person on here and they will all most likely say " I am not like those other mindless drones" ect, they will all think they are in the top %95

Besides, there are numerous instances/jobs where just book smarts and mindless memorization will pay off in dividends. You dont always have to have a deep understanding of what you are studying to be successful, work ethic can be enough to set you for life, depending on your goals/job ect

yo broseidon

i felt just like you not long ago

but then i smashed a chick

and life was good

stay up. get that poon and currency

ps - i'm only a year older than you

I... I have to say this.

Oh man. Fucking... man. So a few days ago a zit forms on the side of my nostril. Nothing crazy and barely noticeable, just a little red bump and swelling. Fast forward to today, a littlest whitehead has formed. I think, rad, get rid of this thing finally, I was tired of the mild irritation it was giving me when I blew my nose. So I squeeze it a little.

A thick, black hair about 1/8" POPS OUT OF NOWHERE. Out. Of. The. Pore. I'm stunned. This thing is thicker than the hair on my head, my normal stubble (pointless since it's my nose), everything. Then I realize it's from INSIDE my nose. As best I can figure out, for some bizarre reason I had an ingrown hair INSIDE my nostril (it was a little inflamed) and it worked its way outside.

Fuck.

well, ive been trying to be honest and not cheat on tests n stuff, but seriously... everyone who cheats is pretty much shitting on me, and im barely passing the class.. i thought they said cheaters never win. iv'e been lied to :/