bespoke denim in DTLA ~ Den.m Bar

mastrocity

how do you like your denim made?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. bespoke or ready to wear?

...making a pair of denim from scratch each and every time is incredibly time and labor intensive. We could offer bespoke denim at maybe $150 if we were making them in Vietnam or Pakistan, where the average monthly wage is $150! But we reward our team well and in return, they design & sew really well crafted jeans. There's no quota system in place, no numbers to hit. We take our time sewing each pair up knowing it's our signature going on that pair.

If you haven't given custom denim a try yet, we promise you'll end up walking out content and happy, with a pair of solid denim that will be part of your wardrobe for years to come.

You still didn't answer the question ;). You doubled in price and you didn't explain why...

Hi Somar,

When we debuted, we were offering non-selvedge textiles at $229 and selvedge denim at $265. Since we were the new kid on the block, we had to first prove to clients what we can do. Now that we've been in business for over a year, we've seen it all. We can handle any body shape, pretty much any unique customer request. Realize that our initial prices were not sustainable. Knock on any denim house in the US and you'll find prices high $400 and up. We're able to offer the pricing we have and still make a nominal profit by using the same fabrics, using machine cutters instead of scissors and so on. But we're not a sweatshop. We like to take coffee, cigarette and shoot the shit breaks every couple hours. I guess the best quote comes Rogue Territory's founder:

"“You just can’t do custom full-time,†says Los Angeles-based Karl Thoennessen, whose clients have included Kanye West and whose label Rogue Territory also offers ready-to-wear raw-denim jeans. “It’s not sustainable; you don’t stay in business with a customer who only wants one pair of jeans.†-Forbes Magazine 10/19/11

Give us a shot bud, you'll see that the price is not only very reasonable but it's secondary to what you'll get out of your own 1 of 1 denim jeans.

Many thanks to Jason Zaro from Relativity Media for short introduction to den.m bar

Edited by den.m bar

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Coffeehigh, apologies on delay, we've been swamped with orders. Yes, we can pretty much make any denim bag or tote. We're actually working on a heavy selvedge weekender bag. If it's a style that goes with den.m bar's values, we can provide the bag at near cost, since we can market future iterations of the same bag design. 

PM me or message us at [email protected] for a more info. 

Hello SUFU,

Hope you guys don't mind, we plan on posting weekly clientele pictures, of fittings, finished jeans, in production. Here are a couple shots of John S. during his follow up fitting. He's wearing Cone Blue Selvedge, with custom welt back pockets with raw edge. 

johnzach.jpg

johnside.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

We'll be running free shipping on our website for all denim accessories until Father's day, June 16th. A modern and timeless denim necktie or bowtie for the classic but stylish father :)

fneckties_large.jpg?150

Edited by den.m bar

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, we've been working with a client of ours on a weekender bag for him. After some a few sketches and some back and forth on via email and phone, we developed a finished bag made for long weekend getaways. Small enough to fit in the oversize compartment on planes but big enough to stash your outfits for the weekend. 

We used moderately heavy Cone selvedge denim (16 ounces) that we obtained from our favorite denim supplier. The denim was destined for a larger RTW jean company and we were able to snag a couple hundred yards worth. Accented with heavy brown shoulder leather, the bag comes with hand handles and an adjustable shoulder strap. Lined with a hounds tooth motif (you can change it up to whatever lining you like) with a strip of raw denim visible for a more rugged look. Two large exterior pockets round out the bag.

16" by 9" by 15" when measured flat but easily expandable to fit a 12 pack or two. 

IMG_5864-1024x682.jpgIMG_5843-1024x682.jpg1017616_474343269315634_499023971_n.jpg

Edited by den.m bar

• 2 months later...

They've doubled in price to like $385 minimum now. Somehow that's still considered a price point most of us can afford right? At that price you might as well get some iron hearts or samurai. Why would you go for regular denim? Even if it is bespoke

I know this is an old comment, but I just saw this and I wanted to respond.  I bought a pair of jeans from Den.m Bar last year and I am very satisfied.  I agree they use good denim but not the very top of the line, and they won't have the same level of craftsmanship as the very best Japanese denim makers.  You're paying for customization, which can be a big deal to some of us who feel like we can't find jeans that fit right.  If you're your size works for the top brands, then sure, might as well spend what Den.m Bar charges for the very best.  But if your size doesn't work for those brands, then I personally think their price for custom jeans is fair. You're getting a very good pair of jeans that fits well, and a good fit matters more to your appearance then wearing the very highest end brands.