worst (sufu) waywt fits

You mean the mods saw right through Ed's brilliant disguise and re-banned him? He didn't even show his face, i wonder what gave it away.......

They obviously have a really smart system that tracks IP addresses and writing style, you know, the kind of pattern recognition used by academics to prove Shakespeare plays were really written by Christopher Marlowe.

Take the skateboard away from any of your outfits though and I doubt that anyone who didn't know the brands would know you skate. The skateboard and being able to skate is what tells people you're a skater, not wearing Supreme. 99.9999% of people in the world couldn't tell you what lifestyle Supreme is meant to represent, as it's typically a baseball hat, t-shirt, and jeans, with some basketball footwear.

but to people who know, they know and understand. thats how it should be. its not even like that now tho, because if youre wearing skate brands now i assume youre NOT a skateboarder.

back when it was small, it was a way to tell who was who. if you saw someone with a pair of vans on, or a supreme tee, or zoo york, you KNEW that they skated because no one else knew what it was or was gonna go out of thier way to find the shit.. there was really no internet, so you had to work if you wanted it.

I can't argue with how you feel about the brand, Hap, but the clothing is only "skate" because someone decided to call it that. Putting a Supreme logo on a Hanes t-shirt didn't imbue it with anything. I expect that you would consider it irrational to say that only outdoorsy people can wear North Face, but that at least has technical aspects that make it suited to that.

I worked at a competing shop in the mid-late 90s and most of my coworkers either worked at Supreme at one point or quit to work at Supreme, come back, etc, alot of back and forth turnover. A lot of people bought/wore Supreme back then didnt skate but knew of it because of foreign fashion magazines, japanese city guides, etc. I worked there throughout college and not one day went by without European or Japanese tourists asking me for directions to Supreme,

I can't argue with how you feel about the brand, Hap, but the clothing is only "skate" because someone decided to call it that. Putting a Supreme logo on a Hanes t-shirt didn't imbue it with anything. I expect that you would consider it irrational to say that only outdoorsy people can wear North Face, but that at least has technical aspects that make it suited to that.

first off... its Fap, not Hap.

and yeah, putting a logo on a hanes tee will make it only a tee to 99.999% of people in the world. the meaning comes with the association that you make as part of a culture. if you didnt live it you wont understand.

i still dislike how something that ive dedicated over 2/3rds of my life to has become no more than a look to most people. how it has become a shell of its former self even as it has become a huge money maker for some people.

and the northface thing is only somewhat the same. i doubt hikers were ever considered outcasts by general society just because they liked to hike.

Sorry Cheep, got mixed up with the avatar/username for a moment.

You may have that association with Supreme, but as has been said, it's something you have imbued it with - not something innate to the brand. North Face was just the easiest example I could come up with, there are numerous brands that have been co-opted by other subcultures. I'm sure if I had a proper think about it I could come up with several that carried negative connotations too.

You hate people wearing Supreme (if they didn't skate) because YOU have connected it to your personal experiences. You weren't persecuted because you wore Supreme, you were persecuted (sorry if that sounds too strong a word, not meaning to mock) because you skated. There is nothing about Supreme that makes it a skate brand, other than saying "We are a skate brand". Which Jebbia doesn't say.

Calling Ralph Lauren a hood brand (Polorican etc) doesn't suddenly make it one.

supreme was a skate shop. it sponsors skateboarders, carries skateboards. thier own clothing line is not the only thing in the shop... well... maybe it is today, but when i was there in 07 they had more than just thier own shit. the supreme in LA has a skateboard ramp in the back of the store too. even if jebbia doesnt say it is a skate brand, it has been associated with skateboarding since the beginning.

also, its not just supreme, its just non skateboarders appropriating skateboarding culture as a whole... supreme is just the most visable example of it on this site.

well... to be honest, skate culture is dead now.

but... it used to be distinct. kind of like hip hop used to be distinct. it was the way you dressed, the slang, the magazines... it was a way of looking at the world. i have been doing it for almost 21 years now... it has changed alot.

now, its a sport. its sad.

fuck it. i give up, so im just gonna post a supreme ad that looks like my ex girlfriend.

60459630023458a98a33.jpg

A Supreme ad that is a parody of CK adverts. I don't believe there has ever been a time when skateboarders were ever one homogeneous group. There have been as many skateboarders listening to hip hop as thrash metal, or wearing skinny jeans or baggy jeans, etc etc. I've never skated but I was born in, and grew up in London and i've known plenty of skateboarders. My best friend has skated his whole life, and he wouldn't know what Supreme was if he hadn't seen me wearing it.

right... but growing up in the 90s i was hevily influenced by the east coast skate scene, and zoo york and supreme were a big part of it

and that supreme ad, those were all skateboarders from the city... hamilton harris, peter bici, ryan hicky, umm.... shit... i forget some names.

actually, peter bici became a model for ck. probably after that ad.

You're missing my point. That advert makes my argument for me, the only thing about Supreme that is "skate" is that it was worn by skateboarders. The only thing that makes that advert "skate" is that is has skateboarders in it. The reason that you have all these memories associated with Supreme is because you skated, not because you wore Supreme. The only part of skate culture that mattered, that tied people together as a subculture, was skating. So why do you care that non skaters wear it?

They obviously have a really smart system that tracks IP addresses and writing style, you know, the kind of pattern recognition used by academics to prove Shakespeare plays were really written by Christopher Marlowe.

Oh Snap! Paul T has cracked the code....

and not only can i see your IP address I can see what street you live on and can tell which room in your mom's house your posting from.