good hip hop

The track EL-P produced on Vordul Mega's new record is dope and Billy Woods killing it on the guest spot. The record as a whole is nice as well, at least if you like Mega. It's kinda lame that he included the AK-47 track from Return of the Ox tho, on the other hand it's a dope track so whatevurr.

AK-47 for those who haven't heard it

hRC8oPSuAM8

The EL-P track

http://fairtilizer.com/track/keepliving

Hmmmmm...seems like a comp of new and old rare shit...weird. But there is ud new shit on there.

Might be the case. AK-47 is old as fuck, I bought that live album back in 2005 or something like that. Not very familiar with what leaked from him during the years and such so some of it might be old shit.

God damn I want a new EL-P produced Can Ox record. That would be epic.

Edit: Found this:

"Megagraphitti is me trying to capture the last six years of my life on record, show where I've been at and where I am trying to go. I put it all out there and just tried to make the record that is true to me and what I've been through."

Wowsers...S.P. and Sheek MURDER this:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/17877411c67bca69/

Wow...this is so much more than what I expected. This record is so over due. Good looks on everything Hebay.

Another El-P Produced can ox album would be amazing. A lot of what I heard from Vordul had me thinking he fell off. After listening to Megagraf I know he didnt do shit but get better.

To be perfectly honest, theirs nothing i'd want less than a new can ox LP, produced by EL-P or not as. Its alright to reminisce over how original and groundbreaking the cold vein was but really, is their any chance of them living up to something they recorded 8 years ago in their prime. Same thing for Black star, Reflection Eternal etc. I respect Tip for confirming no more Tribe albums for exactly that reason.

No point in fucking up a perfect track record i say.

This is all an interesting conversation since I was around for the making of the original Ox shit. I'm wondering if that Mega compilation has that joint "Circuits" or something like that..."Live Circuitry" or some shit...it's with Vast, El, and 'Mar. Mar killed it...electric guitar type distorted melody...not too outer space EL-P on production. One of my favorite unreleased joints I had in the stash from them.

In short though, I actually would go on and agree with whoever said VOrdul has slipped a bit in his more recent rhymes I've heard...he's borderline sloppy now compared to his older, tight knit, aggressive flow from the Cold Vein days (and include his early solo material like "Megallahgrafitti")...and that shit sucks to say as he was (dare I say it again) one of my favorites/inspirations for a few years...but then again I'm actually surprised to see/hear anything nowadays from him, period.

Ya, the Freeway part is bonkers.

Edit: Haha! Funny story. At first I didn't realize that the vid you posted was a spoof, at least not until I heard the lyrics. And yeah, it's pretty sad...

Listening to the new Common Market right now and it sounds good. Haven't heard the whole thing yet and tbh it seems a tad long. 18 full length tracks (more or less, a few instrumentals) is over the top if you ask me. To me Bayani (yeah yeah I know, different group same sound) was more or less perfect length wise.

Sabzi's beats are still stellar though and RA Scion sounds much like Geologic so it's all good. What puzzles me is that they included the "Trouble is" track from the EP as it (at least to me) was the weakest track by far. Sabzi beats are not meant for intense lyrics.

Judging from what I've heard so far I like Bayani more but this is still a very good record.

t1MUpZAWuFI

zV-RucMasBA

I've tried. I just can't get into the sped up crazy chipmunk R&B singing thing that people do these days. His beats sound cheap compared to what I use to know. Could grow on me but I'm doubting it.

He only does that on like 2 songs. It's the most Wu sounding production in a while, outside of Cilvaringz and Bronze.

Leaky, Leaky

2qi4wv5.jpg

tracklisting looks spiffing to the Nth degree.

01. Intro (Feat. Jazzy Jeff)

02. King Of The Decks (Feat. Sean Price, Tash)

03. The DJ (Feat. KRS-One)

04. Do Your Thing (Feat. Guilty Simpson, Royce Da 5'9")

05. LA D.J. (Feat. Tony G)

06. Funky Piano (Feat. Bishop Lamont, Crooked I, Styliztik Jones)

07. The Big Top (Feat. Special Teams)

08. Start The Revolution (Feat. Bootclamp Clik)

09. Scratch Nerds

10. Invaders From The Planet Sqratch (Feat. DJ QBert)

11. EY (Feat. Joell Ortiz, Termanology)

12. Casualties Of Tour (Feat. Rakaa Iriscience)

13. Damage (Feat. Blaq Poet, Bumpy Knuckles)

14. Willie Lynch (Feat. Styliztik Jones, KBimean)

15. The Biggest Up (Feat. DJ Premier)

16. Blow Da Spot (Feat. Strong Arm Steady)

17. School (Feat. Planet Asia)

18. Spit Ridiculous (Feat. Defari)

19. Pro's & Con's (Feat. Evidence)

20. Calling HAUL

21. Man Or Machine (Feat. KBimean)

22. The Set Up (Feat. Sway, King Tech)

23. The Re-Match (Feat. DJ Spinbad)

^Haha! What a coincidence, just put that shit on download. Killer guestlist

Edit: The Blaq Poet and Bumpy Knuckles track will make me go berserk thanks to constant repeat. The Joell Ortiz/Termanology track is good as well. About half to go...

Listening to the new Common Market right now and it sounds good. Haven't heard the whole thing yet and tbh it seems a tad long. 18 full length tracks (more or less, a few instrumentals) is over the top if you ask me. To me Bayani (yeah yeah I know, different group same sound) was more or less perfect length wise.

just listened to Tobacco Road and shit was pretty damn good. its a bit long, slightly repetitive, but I still liked it a lot.

anyone listened to new LL in its entirety?. Gotta admit it nearly passed completely under my radar but upon hearing this track on the radio i'm forced to take notice.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuEWNLB9UG4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuEWNLB9UG4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wow...that beat is touuugh.

Not a huge LL fan after the mid-90's...but he's had some interesting joints since then, this being one of 'em (when he steps far away from the love song shit, and with a good beat behind him, I can definitely tolerate him more than most of these corny "it" rappers).

Tell me more about the making of that album. How influencial was El?

Its definitely my favorite record from recent history. Please break it down.

This is going to be a long memoir...it'll be fun for me...so treat it like an article and proceed with caution...make sure you have a few free minutes...

Okay...well I was actually doing musical shit and performing as part of Atoms Family in the late 90's with them. Those two were the kids I most connected with out the click. Long story short...VOrdul knew El-P...after a few shows and Rocksteady anniversaries, heads just hung out (Vordul, Vast, El, Mr. Len). I remember it being either summer of '98 (or '99) and them bringing back a tape from being at Len's crib in Jersey...freestyling over some beat Len made off a Hendrix record...shit was hard at the time...Vordul saying something like "Cannibal Ox and El-P...the mulatto...connection" off the top. Shit was the start. I think they had already done their first song with El that day or the weekend before.

"Metal Gear" was that first shit (it came out remastered on some 12" they released after Cold Vein). That made all of our jaws drop...at a time where the Co-Flow bus was still charging strong...right around the time of "End 2 End Burners" (AH! Co Flow on RAP CITY!) and two of the illest unknown MC's who were lyrics out the ass (coming from crazy scientific, sci-fi and anime infatuated lyrics out the ass) were now rhyming on a joint from one of the illest producers out. Needless to say, I had a tape copy of the unmixed version that got so much burn...basically starting and ending every chill session heads had...shit like "yo let us hear "Metal Gear"...put that on...I want to feel inspired"...blah blah blah. At the time, heads on AOL were OD'ing with the tape rape...bootlegs of bootleg tape dubs of shit that never got released from Atoms Fam were flying all over the coasts and Hawaii (thanks to a certain AOL junkie DJ who did some work on the Centa Uv Da Web E.P.)...I made sure nobody got shit...especially not that joint.

(Speaking of Co-Flow around that time...and the "End 2 End Burners" video...Vast and Vordul are both in that...as well as BMS...they are in the backbackground of some standing shots (at the front of the train, by the conductor's door, where El-P was roomed). I was at Bobbito's Footwork a day before the shoot...Juss and El were there spreading news and talking to Vaz about coming through to dance...Juss, who I knew at the time, then turned to me and offered the same deal (knowing that I uprocked)...to battle Vaz, Bobbito, and Q-Unique in that one scene. I didn't make it (ironically I battled some kid at the other end of a many month old shit talking spree, outside of Art & Design HS...that footy is still somewhere). I don't regret missing it.)

Back to Cold Vein, come November...Vast came through with a lovely little tape that had a doozy on it. They just recorded their second song with El..."Pigeon." Live bass and dirty mixdown for all of us to soak in. That was the first time VOrdul really switched it up and got gritty with it. If you listen, you'll notice how that is a premature version of what he was doing on the rest of the album. That shit was crazy. You can actually hear them counting him in a bar before his verse starts (I think it was his first time recording under the influence).

I think it wasn't until another season had passed..."Iron Galaxy" was done. Shit was bugged out. THe old beat wasn't as efx ridden as the album version...nor were there any beat mutes/drop-outs during key lines in the song...and there DEFINITELY weren't any sloppy cuts in it. We were kinda looking at each other like "why the fuck did they add that?". Oh well. More months passed, at this point I think they had already both moved in with El and really going hard on the completion of the album.

"Straight Off The D.I.C." was next...it was like gifts everytime someone would come through with a freshly baked Ox song on a tape. "Divine IC" held us down for that summer along with "Iron Galaxy".

Then came the craziest shit to me..."Rasberry" (later, "Rasberry Fields")...THAT shit is easily my favorite after the test of time. Every element of that song is/was exactly what it should've been...at least for what those cats were trying to do. The demented, yet not too crazy, chunky ass beat El gave them...the sloppy "off the top, let me start over again" shit in Vast's verse...the intermission...really, both of their verses...but Vordul's shit was retarded (extra points for mentioning poppin' a "wheelie on a Mongoose"). They all went hard (pause) on that shit.

Now that they were living with El, shit would come in bigger waves...Vast came through with a tape that had "Stress Raps", "Real Earth", "Ox Out The Cage", I think "B-Boy Alpha" and one other joint...I'm blurred on it now. "Stress Raps" in it's original form/mix was so much better than the album...it just sounded a lot more bass'y and street (I was mad at how the bassline is practically hidden, whilst the kick drum was brought all the way to the front in the final mix...shit made it flow less to me...less gutter sounding and more "typical" of El-P). Also, the last joint on the album, "Scream Phoenix", was just an El-P instrumental on that tape as well...glad they ended up doing that.

Just for the engineers here...and if I remember correctly..."Metal Gear" and "Pigeon" were done at the old Official records studio...and not El-P's house. I dunno if it is evident...factoid.

Damn...I'm listening to this album now just for reference...put this jawn away for a LONG while...partially due to personal reasons (mostly for the time capsule effect)...these cats were captured at a great time...definitely their primes...either the timing was right or they were pushed to that point (even though they were still polishing their recording techniques at that point...the first album blessing stood true for 'em).

Well...you asked for it.