Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Are those cordovans? At SF Alden shop they had the cordovan cap toe blucher with lug sole on sale for $399. They looked spectacular.

and yeah you can wear them with jeans. I wear pretty much all my dress shoes with jeans except black wholecuts.

Same here, almost all my shoes are also worn with jeans. Except for my AE Park Avenues, just too plain and borimg.

They're a 6-eye blucher in ravello cordovan, leather sole - part of the bootmaker's special editions at shoe mart.

did the SF shop have them just in the stock #8 and black colors? or anything in the cigar/ravello/whiskey range? (their website doesn't seem to show anything other than the standard alden range).

I'm pretty sure they were these, but in a special makeup for the SF store. Looks like the regular cordovan color. The difference was they had a lug sole embedded in the leather, and a full rubber lug heel. They are on clearance, so not much size selection

2160.jpg

The SF shop does have an extensive range of the Cordovans in other colors though, for their other models.

thanks tarmac and skalogre. shoemart was actually sold out of the the 6-eye ravello bluchers, and the factory won't be making more for at least a year...

i ended up going with the SF alden shop version of the 2160 (pictured above) in cigar cordo for the same price.

can't wait to get them; pics when i do!

wow thats awesome. did you order directly from the SF shop?

yep, called them up and ordered directly. (btw, when i said "same price" i meant the same price as the ravello bluchers from the shoe mart, not the same price as the on-sale lug-sole ones you mentioned earlier...)

Hey what do you guys think of this two-tone, Cigar and Black Shell Cordovan Combination V-Tips?

cblk.jpg

cblk2.jpg

I've never had two-tone dress shoes before. Are they versatile? Can I wear them with black jeans? Blue jeans? Grey slacks?

Help a colour blind brutha out please.

Cheers!

^ those are excellent, I would think you could wear it with all the options you gave, seriously. What is the second tone? Brown? hard to see. they look completely black in the top picture.

Those are very cool shoes. The general design of the shoe is pretty informal and the two tone makes it even more so. It's a lot of money for a casual shoe and it's a hell of a shoe for casual situations. It's cool but there are a bunch of other cordovan shoes that would be more appropriate for basically anything.

a no-clue question here...

Found a pair of vintage burgundy penny loafets today, but didnt end up buying them cuz I dont know what theyll go with, or how they are supposed to be worn... have a feeling they dont really go with my usuall style, but unsure..

They were pretty low profile, rather worn but still in nice condition. worth to get for 12 $?

worth to get for 12 $?

negative.

in my experience i have found the following guides to be useful:

1. once all the basics of your wardrobe are taken care of, never buy anything unless you love love love it

2. it's better to have a few amazing pieces than a large collection of average ones

negative.

1. once all the basics of your wardrobe are taken care of, never buy anything unless you love love love it

2. it's better to have a few amazing pieces than a large collection of average ones

So well put! Now, the hard part....doing it....

I have about seven pair's of shoes that I would sell in a heartbeat to get at those alden cordovan cap boots. . . and one pinky finger

Well, I really agree, but sometimes love develops after some wear, or the item initially loved you end up onloved becaus its wrong in some subtle way.. It can be pretty hard to know before hand what really ends up being favourite pieces..

worth to get for 12 $?

For $12, yea. You might be a penny loafer guy, you might not. Hard to tell until you have a pair and see how they work with your stuff. $12 is worth it if you just end up saying 'fuck, I can't rock the pennies' when you're done. Then you know, even when you see a spectacular deal on pennies on sale from $200 down to $50, you don't want them. Thifting something that you think you might want is a great way to test the waters.

I love pennies. Love 'em. Wouldn't have known that if I didn't thrift a pair for $8.

thanks familyman, good point.

Main thing is that i dont really get any other vibe than "old man" from them. Boots and brouge style shoes is one thing, goes well with denim and all that (both because of looks and of history), but how /who usually wear, and have worn, penny loafers?

Penny loafers descend from Norwegian fishing shoes. They were introduced to the US by Bass in the early 1900's and were really adopted in the 40's and 50's. Lots of pictures from the 50's show teens wearing either penny loafers or saddle shoes. They were (and still are) a part of the trad uniform. Witness the $500 cordovan penny loafers that Alden makes. They were also a staple of the preppy wardrobe in the 80's. Word is that they only have small areas where they are really appropriate in business and are considered a 'casual' shoe for old guys.

With denim, a slight turnup and white socks you have a classic 50's look. With khakis and a polo and no socks you're bleeding preppy. Put them on with bermudas and a florida tee and line up to play shuffle board.

I don't ever see them on anyone my age (30) or younger. It makes them a bit of an oddity and I like that. I wear mine with everything from sport coat and khakis to jeans and a tee.

Your wardrobe is heavy on the workwear and they probalby won't work with a lot of that, but when it gets sunny and you just throw on a pair of jeans and a tee or a polo, they might fit the bill.

Got a pair of Redwing 875 off ebay for AUD$210 shipped. Size 9E, the same as my Aldens. They're a fraction bigger than the Aldens, something that a pair of sheepskin insoles fixed right away. The leather's nice, not in the same league as the Alden oil leather, but the crepe sole is more comfortable to walk around in than the Alden Vibrams. Took a bit of a risk with the sizing, but since none of the US Redwing accounts sell their boots overseas (and I wasn't going to pay AUD$400 for a pair of 875 when I can get a pair of Alden 405 for roughly the same price - shipped from the US, I might add), I didn't have much of a choice. I'm going to give it a good working over with Obenauf's and replace those thin strings with some real boot laces.

rwb01.jpg

^ those are excellent, I would think you could wear it with all the options you gave, seriously. What is the second tone? Brown? hard to see. they look completely black in the top picture.

Yeah, it's hard to see the Cigar in the top pic. You can kinda see it in the bottom pic. The whole shoe is black save the top of the toe box and the tongue.

cblk2.jpg

Those are very cool shoes. The general design of the shoe is pretty informal and the two tone makes it even more so. It's a lot of money for a casual shoe and it's a hell of a shoe for casual situations. It's cool but there are a bunch of other cordovan shoes that would be more appropriate for basically anything.

I already have the Indy in Cigar and the wingtips you have in #8 (on order). I wanted black shoes that I could dress my jeans up a bit. The Indy does that well but it's brown and I don't have any smart casual black shoes. I have a pair of black dress Ferragamos but they are too formal for jeans. I saw a couple of nice LV shoes that would do the trick but I'm not sure of their quality (looks very well made though).

Would you recommend some black shoes to dress jeans up please?

I just wonder if the 2 tone thing will get old quickly... It's not classic right?

I just wonder if the 2 tone thing will get old quickly... It's not classic right?

Certainly not classic. It's had it's moments and right now high end shoes are getting pretty adventureous and that's why you're starting to see things like this. They're cool, but they might become the square toes of the future?

Do you need a black shoe or will a black boot do? With jeans I always think a boot is better than a shoe. I'm not sure why but I do. Black captoe is one way to go. Nothing is more classic and can go with everything from jeans to a full on suit and tie. A black captoe has been in style for 100 years. I like this Alden but there are plenty of options out there.

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?&vendor=ALD&template=men&browse_vendor=1&category=MDB&item=ALD_m_Cap_Toe_Boot_Calfskin&ps=4&start=2&rpro=

negative.

those are pretty good rules to follow. that's pretty much been my MO for a while now.

sometimes it's good to branch out with a different look. but it takes some commitment, some patience and a little courage.

thanks familyman, good point.

Main thing is that i dont really get any other vibe than "old man" from them. Boots and brouge style shoes is one thing, goes well with denim and all that (both because of looks and of history), but how /who usually wear, and have worn, penny loafers?

penny loafers are cool, but i don't like them with jeans. i like to rock them with something like a linen suit or in the winter time with some wool pants. they can be a really nice touch if done properly. but, in my opinion, they don't go well with jeans--unless, like familyman said, you turn them up a little. if they land on the loafers too much, i don't think they look as good.

thanks for the responses guys! this thread is definitley one of my favourites on sufu.

went back to the same thrift shop today..the loafers were still there, but didnt buy them. I dont really think its my thing.

Ended up getting a dark blue work wear jacked with metal buttons, still with tags (dont know how old, from 60-70s maybe..) and a book called "work in old times", with alot of pics of work and workers in Sweden, from around 1870-1920. Alot of cool pictures, but life sure did look depressing.. children workin 12 hour days in lumber mills? come an..

Certainly not classic. It's had it's moments and right now high end shoes are getting pretty adventureous and that's why you're starting to see things like this. They're cool, but they might become the square toes of the future?

Do you need a black shoe or will a black boot do? With jeans I always think a boot is better than a shoe. I'm not sure why but I do. Black captoe is one way to go. Nothing is more classic and can go with everything from jeans to a full on suit and tie. A black captoe has been in style for 100 years. I like this Alden but there are plenty of options out there.

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?&vendor=ALD&template=men&browse_vendor=1&category=MDB&item=ALD_m_Cap_Toe_Boot_Calfskin&ps=4&start=2&rpro=

Saddle shoes are traditionally two toned, and also pretty classic. I bought the AF65, which are two tone black and cigar saddle shoes. They look pretty classic with a pair of tan slacks and a polo shirt... not that I wear polo shirts though.

Big mahalos to familyman, rnrswitch, and Jamolos for your input. I went to Leather Soul today and tried them on. Classic or not, I fell in love with them - and at the end of the day, I guess that's what counts right?

They are beautiful. The way the Cigar almost immediately lightened up when I put the first creases in them... man, I love that colour! The contrast between the Cigar and black really makes the brown pop. And the antique finish on the heel marries the Cigar top and tongue to the black very well.

I'm wearing my SExIH01BK with a blue argyle pulled over a red button down and these shoes work perfectly IMHO (I'm colour blind but Tom said it matched very well too).

I'll post pics up later tonight. These are now my favorite shoes!

Saddle shoes are traditionally two toned, and also pretty classic. I bought the AF65, which are two tone black and cigar saddle shoes. They look pretty classic with a pair of tan slacks and a polo shirt... not that I wear polo shirts though.

Funny you mention that, I was just looking at a pair of saddles on ebay this morning and thinking that I might like a pair.

Saddles and spectators are the two shoes that are very traditional and two toned so I revise my earlier statements.

I've always wanted a pair of black and white saddles with the red rubber sole. Very 50's. Not sure if I could really pull it off but I've thought they were cool since about 3rd grade when they made a brief comeback. Of course I didn't have any but they were still cool.

Funny you mention that, I was just looking at a pair of saddles on ebay this morning and thinking that I might like a pair.

Saddles and spectators are the two shoes that are very traditional and two toned so I revise my earlier statements.

I've always wanted a pair of black and white saddles with the red rubber sole. Very 50's. Not sure if I could really pull it off but I've thought they were cool since about 3rd grade when they made a brief comeback. Of course I didn't have any but they were still cool.

You know, I never really liked saddle shoes but my goal is to get some nice chestnut on tan spectators and for the summer some chestnut leather on tan/white canvas spectators. The ones I have liked so far are far out of my price range, unfortunately :(