Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

The black soles on the #8 longwings are double oak leather also, they are just stained darker. Do what demonito is saying to lighten them up or bring them to a cobbler who does it for a living!

Nice brogues tho! Dark soles look more classic on those if you ask me anyway.

I'm somewhat jealous. I have these - the standard Alden cordovan #8's, with the black finished sole. My shoes would be, in my mind's eye until now verified by this pic + and your blog entry, perfect with an oak sole. how much would it cost to swap it out, or should I just wait until I need to have the sole rebuilt on them, and send them to alden asking for this sole, rather than the standard one?

Jake thanks for stoppin' by.

I would suggest just wearing out the soles of the beauties you have. I believe the restoration (resole & repair) cost $149 and takes up to 6 weeks not including transit time. I'd hate for anyone to wait that long just for a resole especially when your soles are still in great condition. Here's a link where you can direct any questions you have.

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/resole_and_repair.htm

I asked last weekend when I was at the Madison Ave store about how long the restoration takes - wait time is in the 3-4 month range - they've gotten incredibly popular lately, and it's way cheaper to restore a pair than it is to buy a new pair

Jake thanks for stoppin' by.

I would suggest just wearing out the soles of the beauties you have. I believe the restoration (resole & repair) cost $149 and takes up to 6 weeks not including transit time. I'd hate for anyone to wait that long just for a resole especially when your soles are still in great condition. Here's a link where you can direct any questions you have.

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/resole_and_repair.htm

Those longwings are superb, my favourite version in #8.

Nice to see the chaps at the bureau getting a good review. I've said it before, they are my number 1 go to UK shop.

QUESTION

are there any advantage to getting a vibram half sole VS traditional run through to the heel?

for example using a vibram 300 or 700

thank you

From personal use, I can't really say that there's a difference. I know from an aesthetic point of view, an exposed leather waist looks kind of nice and more dressy. I can guess that a full rubber sole might be better for the elements. Leather soles tend to wear out fast, but look great in the process.

thanks always coleslawyum~

i am getting my new Whites sent back and rebuilt.. mostly likly with a mini vibram and traditional heel.

i really can't stand the 2021 chunky unit sole that i have on it,

in my use this past two weeks.

i kinda fell like it is just marshmallowy, offer very little,

it is just not practical for NY,

it offers almost no traction besides clean dry streets, and gets eaten up pretty fast on the concert. at least the Christy offers better traction...

Leather upprr ALLMAOEGYHANDS?? lol

and now for something completely different:a customer turned up in the shop today wearing fake RW's:

5375612338_e9b0f9f616.jpg

I asked last weekend when I was at the Madison Ave store about how long the restoration takes - wait time is in the 3-4 month range - they've gotten incredibly popular lately, and it's way cheaper to restore a pair than it is to buy a new pair

This wait is totally ridiculous. Alden should be referring people elsewhere. I'm at 4 months waiting for my NEW Russell's and I'm about to shoot someone. They just refuse to add capacity to suit increased demand.