Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

after reading that post im confused. i agree with him, pics would be nice.

im almost positive that that is not elk leather. i believe elk is much more porous looking. its similar to deer skin but softer/ thicker.

after reading that post im confused. i agree with him, pics would be nice.

im almost positive that that is not elk leather. i believe elk is much more porous looking. its similar to deer skin but softer/ thicker.

Here is a close up of the boot leather:

5119498396_98dc54294c.jpg

Here is a close up of my dog's collar that is definitely elk leather:

5119498994_70a9551432.jpg

When I ordered the boots, the rep specified the elk tanned leather to 'match' the look of the dress brown on the SD. I never though that it was elk, but merely the style in which it was tanned. However, looking at the pics, there is some similarity in the grain. The boots would be American leather, while the collar is European leather (not sure which country). The collar is immensely softer and more supple than the boots.

Here is a link for Drew's boots in elk roughout (and there is a pair of White's in Elk roughout on here as well:

http://www.drewsboots.com/firelogg.htm#DRO12V

no shit!? cool beans.

^I bought the laces from the Madison Alden shop in NYC when I was in town...They sell them for $6 (waxed as well as non-waxed) and I was told they could also ship them out if you call the shop...
got my new waxed cotton laces from the alden store on madison ave NYC. $7 includes shipping. totally worth it.

thanks whoever it was that posted about getting waxed laces there!

Nice boots, too.

I think that some folks got the idea Crownzips' brown boots are mine. I was only referencing them as my ideal. I could only hope for kit like that.

3 year old MOMA desert boots. Laces broke, so I threw some hike/work boot laces in temporarily. Kind of like them, but won't keep them around too long.

Sometimes suede just looks haggard as it ages, but I like all the indigo these have picked up.

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

My White's oxford after about 4 months. Worn on nights and weekends - often messy times for me:). They're getting beat up..

vz94zl.jpg

10qarh1.jpg

2qa7dp2.jpg

Where did you get the laces? I love the colors

TTM, those laces came with the shoes from White's. Not sure where else to get them.

I you have White's, I highly recommend their repair/resole service. A little expensive but they did an amazing job. A neighborhood cobbler wouldn't come within a mile of this job.

aak6is.jpg

2i1hy4k.jpg

pavs0.jpg

TTM, those laces came with the shoes from White's. Not sure where else to get them.

I you have White's, I highly recommend their repair/resole service. A little expensive but they did an amazing job. A neighborhood cobbler wouldn't come within a mile of this job.

if you don't mind me asking...how much was it? they do look beautiful btw.

Thanks erk. The resole was around $80 (double what I've paid before). I also had a shank put in to firm them up, which was another $20. It took them about 2.5 weeks to complete.

Unless you have an insanely good shoe repair guy, with all the right stuff (soles, heels, midsole etc.) I'd say that that's an incredibly good deal for work of that caliber.

Unless you have an insanely good shoe repair guy, with all the right stuff (soles, heels, midsole etc.) I'd say that that's an incredibly good deal for work of that caliber.

agreed. the shoe guys around me couldn't even correctly put a heel on my WIIimpressions roughout boots.

*edit: and that cost me 20 bucks!

Totally agreed tmadd..the cost was double what I've paid before, but the workmanship is 10x better.

Very curious what the price of just a resole of a single leather sole would be, because the only leather I've seen that comes even close routinely costs $100 plus for a resole at the places that carry it.

^ Zubin - a friend's gf bought him a pair of boots off Ebay. Too small for him, so I picked em up for what she paid: $45.... They're Gorilla brand, and I checked their site. These ones:

d44e77e9.jpg

They're sweet, nice quality boots, but I wouldn't buy them at full retail...

ya riff, ive seen you wear those before in WAYWTS and i was almost positive they were gorillas

gilt had em for 150 and they seem to be what im looking for: low profile + vibram sole. I just need something similar to this silhouette that can pass for both casual and dressy if need be. AT 150, i dont see anything wrong with them.

I cant even find $400 boots that I like so it looks like it might be these. All the Aldens I like tend to be collabs or unavailable. I wish blackbird still had those alden collabs in sz. 11 :(

Zubin - don't get me wrong - they're a fine boot at $150. I'd put them in the same league as RW. But not in the $340 bracket. Sizing is similar to RWs too fwiw.

Which Alden/Blackbird collab were you thinking of?