Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Just placed an order for my Chippewa 27899's. Can't wait.

Also just found out there is a Red Wings outlet in my area. I've driven past it a million times, but it's kind of back in a little strip mall so I never paid much attention to it before. Gonna go check it out today and see if there is anything worthwhile.

What brand are those? Roughout is hairier than Whites.

Jstarvin...are those bounty hunters single celastic toe?

You are correct.

rnrswitch: I can't say whether the bubble is bursting or not, but my sales aren't a reflection of lost interest in this stuff. I only need two pairs of boots at a time.

rnrswitch: I can't say whether the bubble is bursting or not, but my sales aren't a reflection of lost interest in this stuff. I only need two pairs of boots at a time.

Wish I followed your logic. I keep buying boots. I figure they're a good investment though, as most of them will probably last me the rest of my life with proper maintenance.

I think I could justify 3 pairs of boots (2 for 'daily' rotation, 1 fancier one) but 2 seems sensible too. I wish I could apply that logic to denim...

I'm down to 3 pairs of boots, although 2 of them are basically the same... I'm not sure I need two pair of 405's... but I'd hate to get rid of one of them...

I still want a pair of whites semi though... And I just picked up a pair of jungle boots.... plus I have tons of great shoes to wear too.

It's a shame we're only given two feet....

Owning three pairs makes sense, but I find myself wearing the same pair of roughout SDs every day because they're just too damned comfortable (I'm their third owner). I have a pair in black french calf that are just dressy enough for special occasions (living up to the name, "semi-dress").

The workboot and workshirt bubble must have bust.

TradingPlaces_4.jpg

sell, mortimer! SELL!!!

Getting cats paws on my Alden Indys today.

Poor heels.

DSC_0021.jpg

Wish I followed your logic. I keep buying boots. I figure they're a good investment though, as most of them will probably last me the rest of my life with proper maintenance.

That's my story too! :o And I will say that good boots do hold their value well...

They're Dayton boots. I have a pair of those in gray but mine have a leather sole instead. (edit: looked them over again and I might be wrong. They look almost like my Dayton's, however.)

I'm pretty sure you are right! I love mine :) But I do need to get leather laces for 'em!

b56f1986.jpg

Getting cats paws on my Alden Indys today.

Poor heels.

DSC_0021.jpg

Those heels really aren't in any need of replacement just yet. I would hold out.

I read that as I stand in the store haha. Oh well, I don't feel like having to resold them during the wearing season.

That's my story too! :o And I will say that good boots do hold their value well...

I also wear my boots year round, (I live in Utah where it regularly gets over 100 in July and August) so I feel justified in having, admittedly, way too many pairs.

Heel drag, had money. I wear them enough for it to be worth it.

Hey guys, I'm currently deciding between Red Wing 9111s and 8166s, in other words Copper Rough & Tough vs Oro Russet Portage. Does anyone have pics of aged versions of these?

For the 8166 I've found these:

10065477http://img.bimg.126.net/photo/1dX-ZVfSPMtaVLIA0sA9gA==/4255338697913153359.jpg (can't hotlink)

and

10065477.jpg

which look awesome but haven't found anything for the 9111, although the latter does look better brand new.

Crownzip,

Them rangers are looking good. I like the indigo stains on them. At least I assume they are indigo.

i bought some NOS chippewa boots on ebay a while back (think i posted photos, not sure). they are nice boots, but i always thought the brown leather was a bit flat in color and texture - i'm sure this has to do with the tanning process, but i'm not that well versed in leather production. i'd heard and read various things about using black polish on brown leather to give a bit of depth and character. the boots were due for a cleaning after a recent hiking adventure, so i decided to give them a black polishing.

before:

4831340628_c4eae480c5.jpg

after:

4831340198_ff9d8e0438.jpg

toe box comparison:

4831339818_59c031caf8.jpg

quarter comparison:

4830724591_d3f8b8c4c2.jpg

outdoor side by side:

4831339350_039f8043b8.jpg

first 3 photos are most accurate color, and the outdoor photo is close too. on the indoor photos the right boot had been cleaned but not polished, while outdoor is uncleaned & unpolished next to cleaned and polished.

since these are not "formal" boots in any way, i did a very quick polish job. i liked the way they looked with more black in the creases and in various clumps, so i left them that way. they could be shinier and the color could be more even. this will be worn off pretty quick anyhow and i'll add another coat. may try different shades of brown down the line as well.

Can anyone tell me the difference(s) between the Alden 403 and the Indy they made for J. Crew?

I've know that the side stitching is different and of course the price... but is there anything else? Especially as far as quality goes? Any recommendations on what I should go with?

Help is greatly appreciated.