Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Looking over this thread never really found me what i was looking for, so:

I'm looking for a pair of black leather slip-on ancle boots (a little higher would be ok). Does anyone know of any great pairs?

Do you mean chelsea boots?

If so, RM WIlliams is ahead on the price/quality ratio.

img0028mk6.th.jpg

Question, where can I buy waxed leather laces?

I got mine at my local shoe repair shop. they run about $3 a piece an come in 72 in length. i would think that most places that repair work boots or sell work boots would carry these.

This link is great. Now I'll really be able to do all of my own ordering.

watch out when ordering from japan theyre 200 dolalrs more than stronghold

I made a post several pages back about what the differences in the black calfskin Indy boots would be from those cordovans. The short of it is the soles, leather, and stitching will be the same as the brown calfskins. I'm unsure about whether they'll have the new eyelets or not. Since I have brown Indy boots already I think I'll go with some black White's later on this year or next year.

img0028mk6.th.jpg

I got mine at my local shoe repair shop. they run about $3 a piece an come in 72 in length. i would think that most places that repair work boots or sell work boots would carry these.

I get mine by the inch at my shoe repair (see top). B. Nelson has this lacing by-the-inch as well, and they're look better than these. Perfect for Indies:

new.year.laces.gif

You can get WWII-style boot laces here at What Price Glory. Scroll to the bottom of the page. But be aware that the plastic tips are too wide to go through the eyelets of Indies.

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/usboot.htm

Also Ariat makes them:

http://www.ariat.com/products_detail.aspx?cid=42&pcid=15&pid=362&scid=86

Totally inspired by Chicken's Whites. Got these in the mail today.

boot09.jpg

boot05.jpg

boot07.jpg

Not as duckfooted as I thought they would be...

boot08.jpg

Rough workmanship though. Still, the cat's paws weren't something this place normally does, and the gouges are on the second layer of leather. It's underneath the boot, I'm not fussed.

boot06.jpg

I'm going to look into getting those waxed leather laces later this week.

I made a post several pages back about what the differences in the black calfskin Indy boots would be from those cordovans. The short of it is the soles, leather, and stitching will be the same as the brown calfskins. I'm unsure about whether they'll have the new eyelets or not. Since I have brown Indy boots already I think I'll go with some black White's later on this year or next year.

The way the store told me was: exactly like the current reddish-brown #405s in materials, stitching, lining, eyelets and composition. But black calfskin instead of reddish-brown....

hi indigo junkie! could you walk us thru where you got your whites and who did the custom cats paws and how much these were? and you got any number/email/website of the guy who did the sole? thanks!

a couple of years ago i had some lucchese boots which i had to return because they started to creak when i walked. in fact this happened twice. anyway i really liked them apart from the fault and was thinking about buying some more. maybe these:

l3519qj6.jpg

if i do it this time i think i will try to get a proxy to help alleviate the tax charges.

The way the store told me was: exactly like the current reddish-brown #405s in materials, stitching, lining, eyelets and composition. But black calfskin instead of reddish-brown....

Have you also heard that they are switching from reinforced eyelets to nonreinforced (like dress shoes) eyelets? I think it's kind of lame really but it makes me glad I already bought mine.

And percy, I'd recommend Frye Roper 10R boots for a plain boot that isn't too yee haw but should still be decent quality at an affordable price. I'm considering picking up a pair at some point.

Have you also heard that they are switching from reinforced eyelets to nonreinforced (like dress shoes) eyelets? I think it's kind of lame really but it makes me glad I already bought mine.

Wasn't this only with respect to the AF64's? See here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=974954&postcount=6516

I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that Alden is removing the metal eyelets from all of their boots. I doubt that they'd be bringing out something specifically being marketed as an Indy boot in black missing them.

a couple of years ago i had some lucchese boots which i had to return because they started to creak when i walked. in fact this happened twice. anyway i really liked them apart from the fault and was thinking about buying some more. maybe these:

l3519qj6.jpg

if i do it this time i think i will try to get a proxy to help alleviate the tax charges.

I like these, and frankly think it would be cool if more people wore them. I bet you can get rid of the creak if you apply Sno Seal or baseball glove oil (i.e. carnuba wax) to the soles and welts. I also think the Lucchese are classier than the Fryes with a better shaped last and better sole, and don't look too country for the city. I saw a guy in my office today with a suit and nice ropers.