Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

congrats on your find dp. next time i go to hawaii i need to hit that place up. now post some pics of you wearing them!

Here I am wearing them with my Cane 47s. I think these will give me a push to have my 47s hemmed, not sure if I like the cuff. I tried them on yesterday with my 660s and the leg opening on those isn't as large as I'd like.

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

my girlfriend picked these up for me a few days ago. rwi-inspired red wing casuals (made in china, but they're still well built). i haven't taken them off my feet yet, they're really comfortable and i love the look.

Cool! Yeah, my RW 875s are about the most comfortable boots I have.

Here is a picture of the cosmetic damage. Apparently, the person sewing the boots went about 8-9 stitches past the welt and had to pull them out. It's the only thing wrong with the boot and it's barely noticeable.

IMG_1494.jpg

That's exactly how my "new" Alden 405s looked when I got them from the Aldenshop. The ones that were described as "rough hewn sewing expected on a work boot." I got my full refund after a round of complaints, though they probably won't want to sell to me again.

That's exactly how my "new" Alden 405s looked when I got them from the Aldenshop. The ones that were described as "rough hewn sewing expected on a work boot." I got my full refund after a round of complaints, though they probably won't want to sell to me again.

If they didn't have these in the store I was just going to special order the 8 1/2s and get the kama'aina (local) discount. It's good I went with these because I think the 8 1/2s would have been too small.

Here is a picture of the cosmetic damage. Apparently, the person sewing the boots went about 8-9 stitches past the welt and had to pull them out. It's the only thing wrong with the boot and it's barely noticeable.

IMG_1494.jpg

Good thing u live on Hawaii..that "cosmetic" damage would give you wet feet if you'd have to wear them in Europe in the winter season...

Good thing u live on Hawaii..that "cosmetic" damage would give you wet feet if you'd have to wear them in Europe in the winter season...

I really don't think so. It looks like it is just a few stitches into the heel, which wouldn't have any effect on water resistance. However, I do think that this is certainly not normal quality finishing on an Indy boot.

Greg, these are the best I could find from unionmade.jp

Thanks fre$co - great site, unionmade! I see these White's look almost as duck-like as their semi-dress, but I'm still gonna go for it. I think Wesco's toe looks way better. So does Georgia, Carolina, and Chippewa. But their quality isn't up to White's and Wesco's. And even though Chippewas are readily available off the rack here in NYC, their quality has gotten even worse in the last 10 years.

they're also available on cultizm. they ran out of my size in the black cherry :(

and the black, too.. :(

i might have to resort to zappos (higher price)

Ken, those black cherry 1911s are one of my favorite boots. Unfortunately they don't fit me and I had to sell mine, but they might be the best neo-vintage boots I've ever seen. Even the waxed cotton laces are superb. Go for it, snap 'em up even from zappos! Though Dejan would have shipped them a lot faster!

does he clean them? doesn't look like he does.

i couldnt find the article online... but he pretty much wears them w/ everything and they first photographed him wearing them in 99 and they didnt look new.

i just saw that article and thought of this thread, yet i dont think they add to the outfits or anything.

If they didn't have these in the store I was just going to special order the 8 1/2s and get the kama'aina (local) discount. It's good I went with these because I think the 8 1/2s would have been too small.

Denim Phenom, do you happen to know your shoe size in Puma sneakers? I want to get a pair of Alden's but have to order them online since there isn't a store around here where i can pick them up. I wear a size 9 US in Puma and 8 1/2 in Red Wing. I'm a bit worried i'll end up with the wrong size...

Denim Phenom, do you happen to know your shoe size in Puma sneakers? I want to get a pair of Alden's but have to order them online since there isn't a store around here where i can pick them up. I wear a size 9 US in Puma and 8 1/2 in Red Wing. I'm a bit worried i'll end up with the wrong size...

join the club SLAB ;) only I'm a 11D in RW and 12 in SB dunks (wel most Nikes)

You'll have to be aware of last issues.

For instance, I wear a Puma 12, but they're a bit long, I do it for the width. I also can't wear the sprint shoes, they're too narrow.

I wear an 11/11.5 E in the Barrie last. I'm getting a pair of Grant last boots in 11 1/2 E stretched out if they don't sell. In the Plaza last, I need a EE but they don't make it, so I get them stretched. Some of the other lasts I just can't fit into at all.

I really don't think so. It looks like it is just a few stitches into the heel, which wouldn't have any effect on water resistance. However, I do think that this is certainly not normal quality finishing on an Indy boot.

I don't know, To me, Alden shouldn't have ANY quality finishing problems. I know my indy's were not what I'd consider perfect and these are for sure not.

They should just open a seconds store and stop trying to pass off seconds as firsts.

My AldenxLeather Soul Wingtip Cordovan Boots have a 1.5 inch spot where the medallion tip was being sewed on and the stitching was off. Alden's solution was to pull the thread and polish over the holes. I was incredibly disappointed, but its not a noticeable detail and I really like the shoes other than that. Also, not all of the holes on the medallion were punched out. Really sloppy. I think I might be making the trek to spain to get carminas because shelling out 600 for shoes with finishing that is less precise than what you can find at payless is a bit difficult to justify.

Thanks DP for visiting my store. Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat, had to run. Caught a glimpse of some selvedge so I figured you were from SuFu.

Yes, amlai is certainly right. It was only cosmetic damage. If it were anything more, I wouldn't have let Matt sell it to DP.

I don't know, To me, Alden shouldn't have ANY quality finishing problems. I know my indy's were not what I'd consider perfect and these are for sure not. They should just open a seconds store and stop trying to pass off seconds as firsts.

I don't know about that. Once in a while a pair slips through the cracks. Alden is once of the best in the industry as far as defects. Probably something like 1 in 175 pairs made are defects. Compare that to other brands such as AEs and RWs and you'll be surprised.

Besides, they weren't trying to pass off a second as a first, neither was I. Out of the 1200+ pairs I bought last year, maybe 3 pairs had minor problems such as this.

Thanks again DP!

My AldenxLeather Soul Wingtip Cordovan Boots have a 1.5 inch spot where the medallion tip was being sewed on and the stitching was off. Alden's solution was to pull the thread and polish over the holes. I was incredibly disappointed, but its not a noticeable detail and I really like the shoes other than that. Also, not all of the holes on the medallion were punched out. Really sloppy. I think I might be making the trek to spain to get carminas because shelling out 600 for shoes with finishing that is less precise than what you can find at payless is a bit difficult to justify.

Sorry to hear this tmadd. I wish you told me, I would have rather taken back the shoe than have you unhappy with it.

Man, I'm starting to get a bad rep around here! Sorry guys!

Sorry to hear this tmadd. I wish you told me, I would have rather taken back the shoe than have you unhappy with it.

Man, I'm starting to get a bad rep around here! Sorry guys!

I definitely would have returned them if it was that kind of issue. Its the kind of thing that is definitely small and subtle enough that I am not surprised you guys didn't see it (I had them in my closet at least two weeks before I noticed). In addition to that, I would rather have this shoe particular shoe than something else despite the issue. I am just bummed with Alden's quality control because a company that's rep is so heavily based on being a "gunboat" of sorts may want to come through with solid construction.

I have only good things to say about my dealings with LeatherSoul, and will definitely be doing any future Alden business, and hopefully some EG and perhaps Weston eventually with the guys at LeatherSoul.

Thanks DP for visiting my store.

No, thank you. I plan on eventually getting a pair of the cordovan Indys so you guys will be seeing me again.

Thanks again for the great deal.

This has nothing to do with shoes but i''m sitting in a movie theatre right now and the dumb ass three doors down national guard commercial is playing and people with popcorn need to learn to chew with their mouthes closed. Ugh!