Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Thanks coleslawyum, the resource hat is sufu members never ceases to amaze!

Those are the lace to toe version I guess. They look a little odd to me I must say. I wonder how they would look with the standard cut.

edit:

how about this for an odd jobmaster...

02010304.PICT5404.JPG

I managed to find this too... opinions?

02010217.PICT5265.JPG

02011123.PICT4297.JPG

a little comparison between whites semi-dress and wesco jobmaster courtesy of take5 if anyone is interested. I quite like how the wescos look here.http://www.take5jeans.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=673&view=previous&sid=46e784789ce0f7d87e45baa59888f384

02010304.PICT5404.JPG

those would be fire if they were made in all black or all brown and less beat up...

Yeah I was originally interested in the 6" wesco as an alternative to the semi-dress. I agree it still looks a bit more work boot like, especially if you compare the single leather sole version of the semi-dress. Also, see the take5 comparison and the wesco is peceptively more stout.

But I do like the look of the wesco, if you could have a double leather sole perhaps and some different laces, I think it could be a contender.

the site really needs to be updated so that you can see changes on the boot as you make them. this would make a huge difference. I literally ordered boots without being able to see the final product. 10 inch, black stitching, black eyelets and hooks, black laces and lowered the heal. oh yeah, lace to toe. basically going to look like this but with more buttery leather (see combat boot) http://www.boot.com/

amen to that

the other drawback here is ordering blind in terms of fit (unless you have prior experience with wesco). whereas with white's you're almost guaranteed a perfect fit.

===One reason I've never had any Wescos. I do like their chunky clunky boots, they cool and rugged looking. And I never mind a long break-in period either - since these boots are basically designed for decades of use. However, I don't fit any Jobmasters off the rack, and hesitate to special order since their process doesn't offer many fitting options like White's. There's a Wesco dealer in New Jersey I'll try one of these days - maybe I can find a fit....

===One reason I've never had any Wescos. I do like their chunky clunky boots, they cool and rugged looking. And I never mind a long break-in period either - since these boots are basically designed for decades of use. However, I don't fit any Jobmasters off the rack, and hesitate to special order since their process doesn't offer many fitting options like White's. There's a Wesco dealer in New Jersey I'll try one of these days - maybe I can find a fit....

Wesco's have a foot tracing thing just like Whites. That's what I did when I got my wesco boss custom made....

Wesco's have a foot tracing thing just like Whites. That's what I did when I got my wesco boss custom made....

Yes thats what I thought. On the website there are plenty of things to customise on the jobmaster too.

They do width from AA to EEE, you can choose leather, stitching, lining, lacing, hardware, sole, safety, height and extras!

I have the advantage of being in portland and they are based in scappoose which is about 15 min away. I went in and had them custom fit me. I even had them build them around some custom footbeds that I use. They do have a kit that they can send you that is the same as the kit for the White's I will post pics when I get them. They are going to take 13 weeks from start to finish and should be done about the middle of january.

I have the advantage of being in portland and they are based in scappoose which is about 15 min away. I went in and had them custom fit me. I even had them build them around some custom footbeds that I use. They do have a kit that they can send you that is the same as the kit for the White's I will post pics when I get them. They are going to take 13 weeks from start to finish and should be done about the middle of january.

This is what I would need because my arch is high and these parts in Jobmasters are all too small on me:

3lines.jpg

This is what I would need because my arch is high and these parts in Jobmasters are all too small on me:

3lines.jpg

I have custom orthotics that I have and we just took the measurements with them under my feet. I have the same issues that you have

Today I took my White's Semi Dress and my older Indies in to a very good shoe guy to get Cat's Paws put on. A vintage sole for a vintage look shoe! The soles are as best they can determine, over 40 years old. The reason I took my Whites is to have them put a heel on there that isn't so Cuban/slanted.

in nyc? where? need new old stock cats paw for my lone wolfs. these had old/dead stock cat's paw on them before and while they did wear out quickly and the soles were very hard i would like to keep the same look for the boot.

Today I took my White's Semi Dress and my older Indies in to a very good shoe guy to get Cat's Paws put on. A vintage sole for a vintage look shoe! The soles are as best they can determine, over 40 years old. The reason I took my Whites is to have them put a heel on there that isn't so Cuban/slanted.

My wallet is scared to see how your Whites turn out.

Must. Resist.

:X

So, does anyone know much about the reinforced toe option White's offers, or how that will affect the way the boot looks as it ages? I'm trying to figure out if it's a good idea or not. Does it completely keep the original shape of the toe, like a steel toe, or does it just not collapse quite as much as without any reinforcement?

So, does anyone know much about the reinforced toe option White's offers, or how that will affect the way the boot looks as it ages? I'm trying to figure out if it's a good idea or not. Does it completely keep the original shape of the toe, like a steel toe, or does it just not collapse quite as much as without any reinforcement?

The toe options are as follows (to the best of my knowledge):

Semi-Dress and Lace to toe Smoke Jumpers come standard with single reinforced celastic toe boxes. This is enough reinforcement to maintain the shape of the toe, and plenty hard for daily wear and tear. They should never break down or change shape unless really smashed by something heavy falling on your toes.

Regular toe smoke jumpers come without any toe reinforcement (i.e. soft). These will flatten out and breakdown over time as the boots break in. For customers who want the toe to maintain its shape off the last, Stronghold recommends the double celastic toe box. Steel is also availible, but is overkill unless the boots are for real industrial work.

Like these alot, because of the crepesole, I don't think I could pull of the regular look with the high cuban heels as I'm so tall already...

Are these a custom job, more info?

I was thinking the same :) Red Wing has a really similar style, called "the lineman" with crepesole, really nice...

I wonder how available crepe soles are at european cobblers... got another pair of RW that I hardly wear because of the high vibram sole heel, that could use a make over.