Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Quick question: Topy or Vibram?

I dropped off a pair of boots to a cobbler that was referred to me by Tom of Leather Soul and asked him to put some rubber on the bottom. I asked for Vibram but he said that he had something even better than that. This French stuff called Topy. It was lighter and thinner than Vibram but he said it was very strong and that's what he uses on all his shoes.

Anyone use this stuff or should I ask him to put Vibram on? I'll need to call him ASAP though...

Quick question: Topy or Vibram?

I dropped off a pair of boots to a cobbler that was referred to me by Tom of Leather Soul and asked him to put some rubber on the bottom. I asked for Vibram but he said that he had something even better than that. This French stuff called Topy. It was lighter and thinner than Vibram but he said it was very strong and that's what he uses on all his shoes.

Anyone use this stuff or should I ask him to put Vibram on? I'll need to call him ASAP though...

The Topy soles are the standard most people over at SF select for their dress shoes. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

You can run a search for Topy, you should fine piles of info.

i couldnt find an appropriate thread for this so i hope it is ok here....

I bought these NDC boots a few months ago and have discovered they're starting to crack as seen in the pictures below. I don't know if this is a natural occurence of the leather or if they're in desperate need of attention. I've oiled them with obenauf's several times and have also polished several times. Is it possible to apply too much obenauf's leather oil?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

heel of shoe:

shoe001.jpg

picture looking down at the toe area:

shoe006.jpg

This might be a silly question but are you sure it's the leather cracking and not too much polish cracking on the first picture? Either way it doesn't look that bad. I use Lexol conditioner after I clean the shoe and before the polish and I don't do it very often. I don't think you can put too much oil. The toe are looks pretty normal, just get some shoe trees if you're worried about them (unless it's one of the models with bended toes).

to me it doesn't look like the leather is cracking, and if you're using obenauf's it almost surely isn't cracking. it could be polish cracking, as polishmike said, and judging from his username he should know (*rimshot*). polish should be used sparingly, i believe, whereas oil can be applied liberally and often. it could also just be normal leather stress marks, which i have seen on some of my boots. bottom line: i wouldn't 'stress' about it (*rimshot*).

Yup....Not cracks....creases. Totally different, not a problem. Keep treating them well, you'll be fine.

A quick update on my Whites custom order: They are confirmed by the factory to all my custom specs. I think I'll keep the details to myself for the time being...make you all sweat it out. One word though: Bullhide.

Yeah, it looks like the natural grain of the leather. Although that's a lot of grain for shoes, looks more like jacket leather than shoe leather

My understanding is that you can in fact oil to much. Apparently the oil can be hard to absorb and can build up on the surface, causing the pores in the leather to clog up. In addition, too much can cause the leather to actually deteriorate faster. I remember reading somewhere that w/ Pecard's leather conditioner (the normal one) because it is thick and viscous, it is very hard to oversaturate. However, with Pecard Leather Cream, which has fewer waxes, penetrates quicker and I remember reading that one could over do it.

Have anyone ordered anything from Quoddy Trail and might be able to say something about sizing them?

Familyman has a pair and he took half a size down from his sneaker-size but could have taken whole size. Now a little big without socks. :)

im looking for this exact same pair in size 9 can anyone help me? thanks guy...

fukuraku-store_1963_82780088

redwing horween leather work boots the model of this one...

what's the model number on those? fucking love them.

... or the story behind them? current production? anniversary boot? i need an 11!

thats the 2902 upper with a crepe sole... Ive seen a custom just like it sold on ebay. Shouldnt be that difficult to have a cobbler switch the vibram lug sole to a crepe either.

edit: maybe those have a lighter brown color, but 2902 would probably polish like that easy aswell

its the same thing as to why people buy pilots watches theyre not even pilots nor they own plane people buy what they want its their money ...

It's the same with a hell of a lot of things. Denim, leather motorcycle jackets/pilots jakets, work boots, work wear, 4x4 cars.... the list goes on. I agree with Edmond, who cares.

I got mine on ebay, from a US seller. Cultizm have a fairly goood range but you are probably better off ordering from rakuten over there. There is a shop in London that sells them for £160 ($320) which is just crazy money for red wings.

Everything in London is expensive, it's not just a crazy idea.

Here's an example.

I went to a shoe maker on my nearest (london) high street to ask for neatsfoot oil. He said he only had one bottle that he had used half of and I could have it for £10.

I then went to a country store in west wales and bought a bottle for £3 last week.

The guy was obviously taking the piss but everything here is expensive. From food and drinks to services and tradesmen to housing.

edit: the place with £160 redwings also sell sugarcane 1947s for £160.