Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

are questions like these really necessary?

I am a noob when it comes to boots. It's the most I've ever spent on footwear and I want to treat it right. I've only in the past year reached a point in my life where I can afford to have nice things so please forgive me if I'm overly cautious about them (being honest here).

I appreciate all the advice guys, even if the questions were basic for you. I'm going to hold off on oiling for another few months. After I give it a go I'll see how they look and maybe eventually polish them if need be.

A bit of wax polish does wonders. On my Roy boots which are a pretty similar colour to the black cherry redwings I use brown and it is great. You could get #8 colour, oxblood, blend them together on your rag (or sock). The important thing is that less is more, don't slather on the wax and don't do it too often.

I oil my boots before the winter and perhaps after the winter if they are looking rough. I polish them pretty infrequently compared to some here, maybe after 30 odd wears.

The best thing you can do to look after your boots is to buy another pair and give each a day off between wearing them.

Russells have arrived! Exactly 4 months after sending in my cash and foot tracings. The fit is perfect, very comfortable right out of the box. The leather is thick, high quality stuff-just what I was expecting. Too bad I can't wear them outside for 2 more months. They'll just be the world's best house slippers til then (thanks riff:)).

rhtsic.jpg

2q3n14y.jpg

ok5piw.jpg

rko710.jpg

2yycy2p.jpg

14dkbjn.jpg

2rfa2rt.jpg

Morse - oh man, those are pure sex! Wow. Might have to start budgeting... :D Congrats!

ThinFinn - awesome looking pair. RW I assume... What model though? I don't remember seeing those...

Wolverine 1K Mile Boots in Brown at ~5 months old. Treated with Obenauf LP 4-5 times now. They've seen rain and snow and have held up just fine. My Blundstone 500's are my go-to weekend snow boots but the 1K's handle surprisingly well in the snow on those occasions where I'm out in the muck...seems like we get another foot of snow every other week here in the Boston area this yr.

I polished them once with some brown Kiwi about 24 hrs after an LP treatment. They never took much of a shine (which is what I was after) but rather developed a rich, dull shine or luster. I clean the salt off them with a damp rag after each wear in bad conditions and hit them with a horsehair brush before or after each wear. I'm careful to let the soles dry after they get really wet and don't wear them again for a few days after a good slogging.

Lastly, I switched out the laces for leather. Looks better IMO. They were a lighter brown color (almost tan) out of the package but a quick treatment with Obenauf darkened the laces up nicely so they match the boot well now.

DSC_8165.jpg

DSC_8180.jpg

DSC_8190.jpg

DSC_8195.jpg

DSC_8168.jpg

DSC_8198.jpg

Nice looking wolverines. The brown chromexcel looks very close in color to the rust chromexcel. I need to post an update on my rust 1000 miles. They haven't gotten much wear this winter though. way too much snow. Nice laces, but I dig the originals better. Your pics remind me how much I love the color of the hardware on the 1000 miles