Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Ok, I decided to stop being lazy and post pictures of my boots. Although not in the same style as the aldens posted above I love them. They're from Russell Moccasin and are hand made buy a bunch of guys in Wisconsin, the same for 100 years. You send them a foot tracing and 10 or 12 other measurements from your foot and leg and they make a boot that fits perfectly. It really does fit that well, they were super comfortable out of the box and continue to get better and better. I've only worn them 30 times or so since I got them in the spring but it's just been too hot to want to put on wool socks and heavy leather boots for the past few months.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/index.html

100_2579.jpg

man those russells are great! where on the site are they? i couldn't locate them.

I got my Sutor Mantellassi boots today! I am stoked that they actually fit, although they are going to take a LONG time to break it. My first pair of really high quality shoes, so I'm not sure how to take care of em. I guess I have some reading to do. The jeans in the pics are svens.

Your first pair of quality shoes are Sutor mantellassi, damn you've set the bar high...

^^Cool, trickers are nice boots and shoes. But yeah, $550 is a lot of cash to drop on footwear...at least for me. But I think trickers like any high quality shoe will last a good long time, with re-soling when needed. So You gotta maybe figure that into the buying-decision making process.

man those russells are great! where on the site are they? i couldn't locate them.

Those are the hiker. http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots_traditional/traditional_hiker.html

I also had the upper lined for a bit more support, I don't have the strongest ankles and I use them in the woods so it's worth it. The leather has also been treated with two applications of neetsfoot oil and 3 or 4 polishings with kiwi cordovan polish. I wear them like boots and work them hard in the woods and then treat them like fine shoes at the end of the day, I store them on shoe trees and clean and polish them. They're getting a great patina already.

Nope, Alden has never done a boot like this, it's a first run.

It's this shoe (the #966) done up as a high lace boot. But it's in cigar shell and on the Plaza last. It takes some imiganation to be sure but it's such a beatuful shoe and having that look in a high lace boot! Divine!

966.jpg

I've got my russells for jeans and I can wear these with every other pair of pants I own. Hell, I'll even wear them with jeans, it'll be my new look. Sometimes you have to lead the way style wise.

I'm trying to get my wife to agree to these boots before I order them. I'm going to order them anyway, but politically it will be much better if I can get her to agree before I do.

This is really a discussion for another time and place but what the hell.

Cap toes are certainly more formal as dress shoes, but I'm not sure the same rules apply to boots. Cap toed work boots were a staple for a very very long time and it had much more to do with how well they were made that determined their formality. Watch Titanic and you will see that all the poor workers were wearing simple black cap toes and the costume for that movie is supposed to be pretty accurate. A brogue boot is an informal boot and is much more of a 'country' look in the english manor sense of the word. I think the cap toe boot is probably more linked to jeans in history than any brogue. Where does a brogue boot fit? Not too many are made and they're usually shown and built as country shoes to this day. Worn with tweeds and cords taking dogs out into the field. Bit of an open territory as far as daily wear goes, especially when worn as informal/stret wear.

It will be a grand experiment.

tweeds and cords

damn, that's just not my cup of tea. :D

hmm i'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, so i'll agree that brogues as streetwear represent a greying of any guidelines and that traditional codes when it comes to dress shoes may be relooked.

while we're taking this brief interlude, can anyone point me in the right direction with regards a good starting spot to the styleforum Men's Clothing forums?

i've been on the men's clothing forum everyonce in awhile. While packed full of information, it's a little to rigid and wallstreet there. Great to do searches on shoes and stuff. You can even tell by the WAYWT page on Styleforum, the differences between the two boards. I like to think Superdenim is a good blend, not too stuffy and not too street.

yes, brogues are only considered dressy in a businessman way in the u.s., and then mostly black ones

i believe brogues were originally irish worker's shoes, much like the captoe boots familyman pointed out in that boat movie, and now they're presented as an english country look (again as fm said)

Those wingtip boots sound like they are gonna be awesome. Are they preorder only, or just somewhat limited?

Both, you can pre-order them and there will be a very limited stock. Pre-order saves you $70 and you're gauranteed to have your size, a good deal. The only bummer is that you order now and it will be at least 16 weeks until they're ready. My wife agreed to the boots, so now I enter a clothing purchase fast for the whole rest of the year. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Andychoi,

Those are some very nice looking Redwings. They do make a damn nice boot.

damn, airfrog, nice indy's and nice chuck's.

those '46 chucks look so different from the modern day one. where can i get them???

also, those indy's look great. i wish the current indy's had that darker color. they are a lot lighter now, although rnrswitch's looked pretty dark...