Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Hello guys,

I was wondering if you think it would be odd to pair Alden Indy 405 boots with dark brown A-2 type jackets. The alternative 403 would nicely match the brown color of my jacket, but I have already owned Indys in that color and have been thinking about ordering the 405 this time around. Side by side they aren't hideous and perhaps would look pretty good separated by chinos and buttondown.

hmZGS.jpg

Advice is much appreciated.

Kelso's really do look great; if I wasnt involved in some other group buys for boots Id definitely pick up a pair as well

ough, Rannochs are my size as well...

Here's a pair that definitely look better with age. They're horsehide work boots from around the 1940's. I've never heard of Diamond Brand but cool details include red/pink stitching that's still apparent even after many polishings and rivets where the laces begin. Soles and heels look original to the boots.

bootsII-3.jpg

bootsprofile-1.jpg

bootsoles-1.jpg

bootname.jpg

Here's a pair that definitely look better with age. They're horsehide work boots from around the 1940's. I've never heard of Diamond Brand but cool details include red/pink stitching that's still apparent even after many polishings and rivets where the laces begin. Soles and heels look original to the boots.

bootsII-3.jpg

beautiful. are they yours?

Crown, those HH boots are wicked... I'd like to raid your closet someday... lee's, garrison shoes... you've got some great stuff....

Not every cobbler can do a Blake construction - I've had a well-regarded London cobbler, just by Jermyn St, tell me he couldn't resole a pair of (expensivie) Paul Smith Blake Chelsea boots because they were Blake.

From Fine English Shoes: "Blake-stitching is often used by Italian shoemakers as this method can make for a very light, thin-soled shoe. However, Blake-stitched shoes are not as durable, water resistant, or as easily repaired as a welted shoe. They are however, considered superior to a cemented shoe which is simply glued together. Blake-stitched shoes have an upper, an insole, and a sole but they do not have a welt. The insole and upper are attached to the last. Then the sole is glued on and a single row of machine-stitching is used to stitch through and attach the sole, the insole, and the upper. "

But some people claim otherwise - check out the last reply here.

Edit: Just remembered one thing I hated about the two pairs of Paul Smith i had - they both leaked really badly in the rain. Blake is apparently less water-tight than Goodyear. They were beautiful boots, very slim especially compared to Tricker's, but as you can guess I'm now very prejudiced against them.

had this pair of alden boots for around a year and a half, worn approx every 3 days to work, so nothing heavy...

IMG_1215.jpg

but every month i give treat them with conditioner and give it a buff and they always look sharp. the leather quality i would say are quite nice.

IMG_1944.jpg?t=1308663499

i find that black shoes look the best polished, and good care and maintenence will keep them looking sharp. I will post better pics over the weekend.

R1003474.jpg

R1003475.jpg

picked these up from the bay for a steal recently. they are in great condition but the laces are in need of a change. does anybody have any idea where i can pick up a new pair in the same lemon yellow/tan combination?

they are A LOT lighter than what i expected them to be. feels a bit wanting in quality strangely. only time will tell. they are extremely comfortable though.

R1003474.jpg

R1003475.jpg

picked these up from the bay for a steal recently. they are in great condition but the laces are in need of a change. does anybody have any idea where i can pick up a new pair in the same lemon yellow/tan combination?

they are A LOT lighter than what i expected them to be. feels a bit wanting in quality strangely. only time will tell. they are extremely comfortable though.

Ran, a stall on Brick lane has those laces. THey're common, used on Docs or Grafters I think. 130cm? THey might cost you as much as £2 though.

ah damn, theres no way i'll be able to head to brick lane to pick those up. £2 isnt that bad though. just curious, i found most of my boot laces wearing out pretty quickly. am i too rough on them? last week i surprisingly broke 2 pairs of laces. one on my clarks and another one on my duluth boots. mabbe im just tying them too damn tight.

ran, those are some beauties. Must spread.

In regards to blake construction, I agree with Paul that it is an inferior construction when compared to goodyear welted shoes. However, when its a blake / rapid construction, I believe that its as good as any goodyear welted shoe.

Stitch-down or storm welt (sometimes called norwegian welt) is far more suitable for wet weather than either goodyear or blake/rapid. But, I think blake construction has its purpose. Usually if you want a shoe with a very thin sole or a very trimmed outsole, blake is the way to go. I don't most people on this thread are interested in those type of shoes.

For me, nothing beats a hand welted shoe, which is to me, the highest art form in shoe manufacturing.

c13m_kEllGE