Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

how do you actually size a pair of ll bean duck boots? ive been told they are very oversized?

They are oversized indeed. I'm a 9.5D/9E on the Alden Trubalance last, 10 in most athletic shoes, and I took a 9D in the LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoe (no insulation). While they are a good length, there's too much volume around the ankle even with a pair of thick wool socks. The slippage causes my socks to pull down as I wear them so the fit is less than ideal; however, if I sized down I think they would be too short and narrow to wear comfortably with a thicker pair of socks.

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

To anybody with knowledge. I may be drinking the whites kool aid soon enough. What are the specs on these? Are they:

Semi dress with brown dress upper/vamp, single midsole, with a leather sole.

I want something with this low profile. Is there a half sole vibram they can throw on there ?

Also, sizing. I am a clear 8D in Indy's and Roy's, what am i looking at for whites?

I can only advise about sizing..

i am 7.5D in Indy's and Roy's and 8D Redwings.

i am an 8D is standard off the shelf Whites SD's

i just ordered my first pair of whites northwest last,

had to do the custom foot sketch for them to place an order direct.

they confirmed to their spec that i am also an 8D.

i cant say for sure,

but you are most likely an 8D as well.

so rnrswitch, you should be good to go..

def try a pair on in the SD's to get a feel of the "Arch Ease" if you can..

hope that helps,

best of luck with it!

Kind of spammy, but worth mentioning since Red Wings get a lot of attention in this thread... Karmaloop is 40% (plus another 1% with a rep code like BK38898) off right now and they have a couple styles of in stock.

Also, does anyone know a ballpark price for having a heel pocket deepened? I've got some gnarly heel spurs that need catering to.

Thanks davichan. I am all outta rep for ya right now, but will get ya back soon enough.

Anybody else with some sizing info?

After speaking with the folks at White's, they assured me the best thing to do is trace your foot and fill out their measurement form. It may be more time consuming, but you can't go wrong doing that... especially if you plan on paying $400+ for some boots that you'll have for years.

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=18

Thanks davichan. I am all outta rep for ya right now, but will get ya back soon enough.

rnr, I am a 10D in White's SD and Alden 405.

My SDs are black with brown leather sole, and are unbranded on the upper. The laces on them are brown. Since it's all custom order (or it used to be) you'll be able to add details as you want. But the wait is about 6 weeks.

pretty sure you are also a size 8 in Whites rnr (im an 8D myself in Alden Trubalance/Barrie and Red Wing) I have a pair of brown semi-dress 8C that i'm trying to get rid of to gather funds for the Viberg group buy but I guess shipping to the USA will make it more interesting for you to buy from Whites/Bakershoe directly

i've been looking into a pair of white's as well lately. i no longer order shoes without trying them on, so i went by the stronghold to see how white's felt on my feet. they didn't have much stock in my size range, so i wasn't able to find the "right" fit, but i can say that the semi dress felt noticeably different than any other shoe i've ever worn. erk posted an interesting anecdote about this awhile back (heel-to-ball vs. heel-to-toe measurements & being fit with a full size and width different from his normal size at the white's factory).

i really don't think you should guess at the size when buying white's. sending measurements definitely seems to be the way to go if trying a variety of sizes isn't an option.

i've been looking into a pair of white's as well lately. i no longer order shoes without trying them on, so i went by the stronghold to see how white's felt on my feet. they didn't have much stock in my size range, so i wasn't able to find the "right" fit, but i can say that the semi dress felt noticeably different than any other shoe i've ever worn. erk posted an interesting anecdote about this awhile back (heel-to-ball vs. heel-to-toe measurements & being fit with a full size and width different from his normal size at the white's factory).

i really don't think you should guess at the size when buying white's. sending measurements definitely seems to be the way to go if trying a variety of sizes isn't an option.

I don't think you should order until you have a chance to try on and would consider actually having the stock size that White's / Baker's recommends shipped, post receiving your measurements, before ordering up anything custom.

Just too much risk of getting something that doesn't fit you for $500. If Baker's offers free shipping, you will only pay for the return shipping to Baker's after you try on the stock pair.. Just my 2 cents...

Baker's guarantees the fit when you send in your foot tracings for a reason. They've got it down to a science and don't screw it up.

Based on your tracings and measurements they also take into consideration the width of your ankle, size of your instep, etc...all info you can't provide based on how another brand fits you.

I went to White's to get fitted and my SJ's are STILL a bit big, so I'll def be sending in tracings for my next pair.

Baker's guarantees the fit when you send in your foot tracings for a reason. They've got it down to a science and don't screw it up.

Based on your tracings and measurements they also take into consideration the width of your ankle, size of your instep, etc...all info you can't provide based on how another brand fits you.

I went to White's to get fitted and my SJ's are STILL a bit big, so I'll def be sending in tracings for my next pair.

Is that based on their 1-year in Store Warranty? I thought the sizing guarantee was based on them doing the measurements for you. Also - thought the measurements you send to Baker's get passed on to White's / WESCO for their size determination.

WESCO guarantees fit if they measure you themselves. Did White's measure you / trace before starting to fit you in the SJ's? I'm really surprised they came back too big...

If Baker's guarantees - then I agree 100% - just go through Baker's and wear them indoors till you are sure of a correct fit.

So I ordered a pair of White's SD in 8.5 off White's on eBay. I'd say the width is near perfect, but I have about half an inch+ of space at the top of the boot which makes me think I could do a size 8. Would it be better to exchange and size down or keep the 8.5? I think the 8.5's fit fine right now, but perhaps size 8 would be even better.

^I've been told that there should be about .5" of room at the end of your toes. You might have the perfect fit. If it feels too big try a flat cheap insole, works for me every time.

mike147, I checked out the policies on Baker's site, and it seems the guarantee does not apply to custom spec orders. Nonetheless, I heard another high level boot maker say that based on tracings, he can fit the wearer within a few milimeters. Still seems like the best bet.

Also, Baker's used to send off tracings to White's, but now they just do it on their own, per Kyle Baker.

Yeah, be careful sizing down. I think I'm right in between 11 and 11.5. My 11.5s have felt a little big, but I now have a couple pair of standard SD-last boots in 11 and my toes touch the end. These are both with the unreiforced soft toe so it actually works out pretty well still, but with the firm reinforced toe box I'm not sure the 11 in the SD last would work for me. The swing last is very slightly longer though, plenty of room in an 11 for me in that.

Made to order trickers monkey boots indeed

c0d75d6d.jpg

dunno if you can read the color here on the box, the color is called beechnut burnished and it's calf leather.

in the length and width the fit is pretty much spot on, however, the shoes are quite tight when I put in my orthodics, guess I'll have them shave of a mm or 2, so my orthodics are a little less thick...