Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Blew my wad on Roys now I'm about to do it all over again for the snuff suede version, how retarded is that? I feel like a bad investor who needs to diversify his portfolio... ; )

you won't regret them man, I just got them and they're awesome in person. the suede is buttery but nice and thick not like the unlined chukkas. And the barrie last makes it feel more like a boot to me than Indy's. Trubalance last feels too slim to wear with some of my jeans i dunno

I think working in a kitchen would destroy a pair of nice boots. Who wants a fat and food grease all over $400 boots?
I agree with denim phenom; a kitchen is no place for a pair of nice boots. If you're looking for something that can handle the hell that is a working kitchen, I'd say look into something like White's smokejumpers. Those are built to handle forest fires, so heat, grease, water, cleaning chemicals, etc. shouldn't kill them.

Personally, I always wore Doc Martens back in my kitchen slave days.

get a whites in oiled leather or wescos in oiled leather and you can use that for kitchen work.

its all int he leather man and make sure to get vibram soles like the 435/430 minilugs or those big lug soles the rest are just fucking slippery on oily surface

Maybe you should consider White's semidress. You can choose the block heel if you don't like the usual one. Seriously tough boots, choose your sole, custom order your leather choice etc and nowhere near as long a wait as the Roys.

I meanly sitting around all day chopping stuff and do a little preparation/sidejobs, i don't cook at all. So as long as it's non-slip it's cool, thanks for the advice guys.:cool:

this shit right here, will be mine. one day...

if anyone knows a similar model that can be more easily obtained, let me know!

crockett-and-jones-shoes-coniston.jpeg?w=400&h=363

One of many options... currently on sale at Sherman Brothers (Bayfield Boots):

5062743223_c3f47985d1_d.jpg

I made the horrible mistake of taking my 2 year old 2970s in to the closest Redwing store to have them resoled since the white wedge was worn to about nothing. I gave the old fart running the place 3 options out of their 1/2 page worth of resole options. Black nitril cork, brown cork or black wedge. Picked them up yesterday and they put plain old boring vibram soles and heel on. I wanted to go off on the old lady working there about givning three options and got something I didn't ask or OR want but it wasn't her fault. I'm so muthafucking pissed, but lesson learned. Now they just look like plain old boots. Ugh.

Pics please…… Sounds like your local cobbler would've done a better job. Hope they comped you.

Will take pics tomorrow before I take them back and see if the guy is working there instead of the old lady so I can try and explain the difference between what I asked for in writing and what they ended up with. I had to pay when I dropped them off :( I just did a search and see they put on the same soles that are on the Chippewa Odessa Engineer boot :(

I've searched for local boot repair shops and came up short so thats why I thought I'd go with something I "thought" would work.

Edit: I should have known better when I asked if I could get them resoled like GTs on the wall and he said "Like those European shoes? No those are only for Europe. " Lol?

Pics please…… Sounds like your local cobbler would've done a better job. Hope they comped you.

Here they are from Oct 2009 (no recent pics but the sole was much worse) and this morning. If they had even used contrasting stitching like my old pair I may have been ok with them. Taking them in this morning to see if they'll redo them like I asked for since this is exactly what I didn't want... plain old vibram sole.

2970resoled.jpg

2970resoled2.jpg

don't know if this is the right thread for this. these are recently purchased preowned alden ravellos wingtip boots. really beautiful but the thing is that the size is a good half size bigger than what I normally take, or my Indys 405. I can somehow make the sizing work with an insole, but don't want them to look too big and unproportional. what to you guys think? thanks in advance.

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

Got my "USMC roughout service shoes" and i'm pretty pleased with em! Ordered them from At The Front, $110 w/ $12 s/h. Had to return a pair because they were too big, be warned they run about a size big. Curse my small feet. Check them out here: http://www.atthefront.com/us/footwear/roughoutshoes.html

they also have a different variety with white stitching. ATF is a great place. Same day shipping, guys are on their shit.

For that price you get a pretty decent boot. Not so many details, the stitching is a tad crooked in some spots,, and no insole which makes it pretty tough on your foot out of the box. Even without the refinement of $400 aldens, they are a great boot to get as a first pair. I didn't want to drop tons of coin just to figure out I dont like wearing boots.

Pics as promised: (bonus overdye SExIH)

out of the box

dsc0543c.jpg

after a generous coat of obenaufs

dsc0548aq.jpg

don't know if this is the right thread for this. these are recently purchased preowned alden ravellos wingtip boots. really beautiful but the thing is that the size is a good half size bigger than what I normally take, or my Indys 405. I can somehow make the sizing work with an insole, but don't want them to look too big and unproportional. what to you guys think? thanks in advance.

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

They are damn nice. what size? they do look a little big.

Probably going to keep them as-is. Its just the right amt of brown for me. I'll do some occasional treatments down the road when the break in more.

DSC_0076.jpg

They look sleeker than the Barrie or Trubalance last. The Hampton/Plaza will fit larger than your Indys, which might explain the half size difference. Gorgeous boots though, what size are they?

Konadog, I've been contemplating Eddies (SoCal, right?) Shoe Repair for some Cat's Paw half soles on a pair of my boots. What's your feedback on them, their work, service, turnaround time?

It might be a great alternative to Hukurokuju in Japan, but not as artistic I suppose.

Cheers!

ive told you before john if your going full sole use eddies if you want half soles go to okuyama eddies dont stitch the outsole dont know why.

and it peels off after some time

I honestly think you'll wear through the Cat's Paw half soles before they peel away. I have some on a pair of roughout White's that are extremely thin but show no sign of peeling whatsoever.

ive told you before john if your going full sole use eddies if you want half soles go to okuyama eddies dont stitch the outsole dont know why.

and it peels off after some time

That's right, I do remember your White's. I guess do it right the first time and go to Okuyama, huh? Man, I have like three or four pairs of Engineers I want the Okuyama special done on. I just need to take a back to Japan...

Edit: Ed, do you still have those Bounty Hunters?

Konadog, I've been contemplating Eddies (SoCal, right?) Shoe Repair for some Cat's Paw half soles on a pair of my boots. What's your feedback on them, their work, service, turnaround time?

It might be a great alternative to Hukurokuju in Japan, but not as artistic I suppose.

Cheers!

I had a unique experience with Eddie's. Brought the boots in at 11:00 on a Saturday and had them done by 3:00, same day. As you can see, they look really nice. A+ in my book. Not cheap, but worth it.