Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I got these a few months back from Alden Madison Ave. I threw a pair of brown laces in for a bit of contrast.

I think the shoes are the same as the LS ones. Comfort is exceptional and the durability of the suede is way better than I'd expected - If you're on the fence about getting them, go for it!

blue3.jpg

Why the fuck not?!

Thoughts on rocking black cordovan wingtips with a tuxedo for my wedding this fall?

what type of tuxedo are you wearing?

A true classic Tuxedo should be worn with black patent shoes without laces.

Why the fuck not?!

because there are a lot of "rules" for wearing a tuxedo properly. however, these vary according to different circles and eras and so forth. plus, many of them are largely ignored today. for example, tuxedos are not supposed to be worn before 6pm, and you are never supposed to wear a watch with a tuxedo - but people do.

some say you should not wear wing tip shoes. honestly, it's up to you - it's your wedding. maybe you care about these types of traditional "rules" and maybe you don't. my only suggestion is to get a pair of shoes you will want to wear after your wedding.

like these, perhaps:

pitt2.jpg

damn, dude. how many pairs of aldens do you own?

not to get personal or anything, but don't you work at Unionmade? are you a baller day trader in your spare time or something?

those look great and i'm jealous.

Ha! yeah, I have a few.

Yup, working at Unionmade... I forget, did I meet you at the shop?

No day trades going on and I stopped dealing drugs years ago...

I guess I'm just willing to go broke buying shoes. It's an addiction maybe.

Plus I'm lucky to have a supportive wife who understands my need.

I wore some black Alden shell oxfords for my wedding. I, though, did not roll with a tux. I hit up a khaki colored suit. I got the Aldens as factory seconds and used the left overs to grab a shell Alden belt.

Unrelated, but when did things change such that you "need" to get married in a tux? Buy a suit and some good shoes. Tuxedos are for the Monopoly Guy and junior prom.

yeah, i wonder about the use of a tuxedo in these times. in almost 40 years i have not had more than 1 or 2 occasions for a tux and neither was a situation where one was required.

i would say that bespoke suits and quality shoes are a much better investment these days.

sorry for the off topic bit (but i *did* mention shoes!)

I believe the 403 is leather lined. The 405s used to be canvas lined. I think as of this year they are now leather lined as well, but cost a little more than they used to.

Yes. 405 is the stock number for the Indy Work Boot. 403 is stock Indy, leather lined, in Chromexcel. Actually, all Indy Boots are made with leather lining now, so the cheapest they come is $400+ range.

These need to be posted here: bespoke boots made by Ed Meyer in germany for a writer who did a story about walking from Berlin to Moscow. These are the boots after minimum care and a 2000 km march.

bueschers_stiefel.jpg

Seen shoes from them from time to time. Built quality seems to be exceptional, prices too... They pride themselves on the fact that very few of their bestselling models were designed within the last 100 years.

I can't be bothered to search for it right now, but there is an exceptionally instructional video about shoecare on their site (including instructions for cleaning suede and repairing scratches in shell). Video is in (bavarian) german, though.

If I assume correctly, Beams is having a few collabs with Alden from the past re-released. I'm especially loving those black cordovan munson boots. Anyone have an idea what the last on those puppies might be? As usual they are probably very pricey...

pickup001.jpg

pickup002.jpg

pickup003.jpg

pickup004.jpg

pickup005.jpg

another picture

0214.jpg

Finally got my Chippewa 27899's.

DSC_0271.jpg

How did you size, and are they beyond super heavy?

I'm especially loving those black cordovan munson boots. Anyone have an idea what the last on those puppies might be? As usual they are probably very pricey...

pickup005.jpg

Could it be "Munson last", which is often used on military boots (only a guess though)?

Before buying my wedding shoes, I never thought black cordovan would be worth it, but damn, I love these shoes and the look and feel of them. I still love some color 8s and cigar, but black just works with so much and, to me, has a little bit more classic look (for dressy shoes that is).

How did you size, and are they beyond super heavy?

I went with my normal size of 8.5, but should have gone with an 8. I just put in some insoles to suck up some of the room and now they feel great.

Not as heavy as I was expecting with the steel toe, but they're still pretty beefy.

If I assume correctly, Beams is having a few collabs with Alden from the past re-released. I'm especially loving those black cordovan munson boots. Anyone have an idea what the last on those puppies might be? As usual they are probably very pricey...

pickup001.jpg

pickup002.jpg

pickup003.jpg

pickup004.jpg

pickup005.jpg

I love all of those. It's a shame it's in collaboration with Beams though. I'm going to assume that means the largest size they will make is like a size 9. :mad:

I don't normally like saddles shoes and even I would jump on those - they will probably look unreal with a little age to them.

the ones in the picture do have age on them. they all look to have at least a few years of wear... they are just well polished. They sure do look amazing!

I love all of those. It's a shame it's in collaboration with Beams though. I'm going to assume that means the largest size they will make is like a size 9. :mad:

Yeah, it also means any Alden shoe made with shell cordovan will cost around $1,000 USD.