Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Got these a week ago. LL Bean Katahdin Engineer boots. Didn't have any Obenauf's so I had to order it and it came today, so obviously I lathered that Obenauf's on right after it came.

Left right after I finished:

img00010201001051747.jpg

I think the type of leather on these will respond better to boot oil rather than wax. I use the Pecard boot oil it works great, "heals" the scuffs and so on. Might be too late if you already applied wax tho for awhile . . .

a marine buddy of mine would always rub down all his leather boots with barbasol shave cream when he first got them said it stripped all the factory treatments, then he'd apply his oil/saddle soap etc. His boots always looked mint.

Pending an absolute breakdown of the katahdins after some wear, I think they deserve to be the de facto recommendation for people looking for serious boots for under 100 bucks. I'm really excited to see my buddy's in person when he gets them in a couple days, based on some Red Wings I have put my hands on lately, I wouldn't be surprised if the materials and QC is nicer on these.

Got a pair, they're going back. Can't believe the retail on these...

On paper, they aren't a bad boot for the money. However, I do think they are a fucking ugly boot, for any money.

I really like the shape of the Iron Rangers...I think they would look better if the eyelets and hooks were a little more restrained looking, but I feel the same way about the Katahdins. I was also surprised when I went to the Red Wing store last week to see some serious QC issues on two pairs of Iron Rangers and a pair of Gentleman Travelers. It definitely makes me feel like the $100 difference between that range of Redwings and stock Whites boots is a very wise investment.

maybe its because i have the jcrew version, but i think the hooks and eyelets on mine are pretty restrained... they were almost the color of the boot, but have begun to get some shiny parts with wear...

dont mind the rest of the pic, but you can see how you cant even really see the eyelets

dscf5165b.jpg

Didn't include my caveat that I liked those boots and didn't even notice the eyelets on them...mostly because they are tonal. After closer inspection, it almost looks like at least the hooks are a little different in shape and size...either way I definitely like those the most of the Iron Rangers.

Nooooooo!!!!! You'd likely end up with a smooth-ish finish - which won't give you the same effect as snoseal on rough-out. Might as well just get the calfskin leather version...

Suede ages nicely all by itself!

Doug, I'm a little bit concerned with how the sole is going to hold up but I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Yea me too but I just look at it as an opportunity to have them resoled with a leather or double leather sole unless I just fell in love with the all rubber sole that it comes with. Would be cool to have a pair like that IMO.