Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Journal de Nimes is available online for those of you who might be inclined and missed out on the paper copies.

The latest issue features a great history of Red Wing, a guide to Tokyo, and photos of a half-naked Japanese woman wearing denim underwater, among other things...

Hm - thanks...

I was wandering around today trying to find a place to try them on today and couldn't find any pairs .. i have a distinct recollection of fitting a half size smaller ... I'm going to have to find a place to try them on here in NY..

4170961560_2eaae701d1.jpg

LL Bean

I have the shearling lined version; in fact I wore them today, as the snow started falling in Chicago.

Since I've had a number of questions and comments about my reverse chamois Alden boots, here are some more pics and info for you.

I originally found out about them through the Alden-of-Carmel site. Adam said: "This is a relatively new development for us. We will be showing some of the shoes that other retailers are doing with Alden. Each of the retailers will have their own sections on our website."

Now for the boots:

alden1.jpg

alden2.jpg

alden3.jpg

alden4.jpg

alden6.jpg

It's hard to capture the texture, but it's an oily rough-out. Jordan at Winn Perry helped me with the purchase, and one of the charms of this boot is the relatively little need for upkeep. He mentioned that a periodic application of Obenaufs would do the trick.

alden5.jpg

It will be interesting to see how these age.... :)

Slab - you may want to take at look at the Orvis Aldens, for a non-oily finish. I really liked the "all-weather" toughness of these, along with the crepe-sole comfort. And I prefer the 360 degree welts, too!

Edit: some links for you...

Winn Perry

Orvis Aldens

Hm - thanks...

I was wandering around today trying to find a place to try them on today and couldn't find any pairs .. i have a distinct recollection of fitting a half size smaller ... I'm going to have to find a place to try them on here in NY..

you can find them at david z no problem

I had a pair of the 12" boots but from Cabela's just like the bean ones. I really put them through their paces as they were farm used and abused...

For the cold, snowy winter time, they're really one of the best boots to own...

I had a pair of the 12" boots but from Cabela's just like the bean ones. I really put them through their paces as they were farm used and abused...

For the cold, snowy winter time, they're really one of the best boots to own...

The look like a Bean Boot knockoff...are they made in USA? Doesn't say on the Cabela's site. Just got a pair of the shearling lined Bean Boots and they are spectacular and toasty warm!

The look like a Bean Boot knockoff...are they made in USA? Doesn't say on the Cabela's site. Just got a pair of the shearling lined Bean Boots and they are spectacular and toasty warm!

I bought them like 20 years ago, so they were probably made in the usa.. thinsulate lined, bean knock off.. but still this style of boot is the one you want for winter...