Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

damn .. shit's nice.. where did u get it?

I got them through Baker's shoes (but fyi Viberg also does direct custom orders).

I wouldn't dub those. Let that roughout age naturally. I think a heavy/dubbed finish will look awkward with the white vibram sole

And yeah, I wouldn't want them to become too dark either. Maybe I'll hold off on that whole business for now.

Family Pictures! With the exception of boat shoes for around the house, and a pair of new balances that I never wear, these are the only shoes I own:

bootsgroup.jpg

bootsfgroupside.jpg

Alden405s.jpg

RicksonM43s.jpg

LSJumpboots.jpg

beautiful collection tmadd!

I hope it'll become cooler weather soon, i haven't given my boots a lot of wear the past few months so i plan to catch up during autumn/winter.

Tmadd,

How long have you had the 405s? I ask because the last few pics I have seen of the 405s of people who have bought them recently, the leather looks different than mine and other 405s I have seen that are older (mine are about 4 years old). The color looks the same but the grain looks a bit different.

Tmadd,

How long have you had the 405s? I ask because the last few pics I have seen of the 405s of people who have bought them recently, the leather looks different than mine and other 405s I have seen that are older (mine are about 4 years old). The color looks the same but the grain looks a bit different.

I got them in Fall 2006 from Moulded Shoe, but I remember correctly part of the reason I chose to get them there was talk that they had stock from the "older, darker, less pumpkin-like" leather. Mine were worn really hard and only treated with Pecards. They are currently out of rotation because they need a new heel.

Tyler

I believe they're off last 6230, also from what I was told, the stephy is slightly narrower than the stow, what with it being a womens' boot.

Lol, I missed that last part. I didn't read the words, I just looked at the pictures.

Question for those who have bought older vintage boots, a boot that has needed some rehab before wearing.

How do you know when a boot is too far gone? For example, browsing ebay, one comes across a pair of vintage leather boots/shoes that are tempting. You would only have the picture in auction to go by. Are there any signs/things to watch out for? Do we know how far the magic of Obenauf's can go in bringing a boot back to life?

Obviously the quality of the maker, as well as the boots desirability to the buyer matter, and could cause someone to over look more serious problems or wear, but i am just talking about the condition of the boot.

I have been watching auctions and trying to figure the formula out, but have found confidence so far.

Any hints, tips advice...

^ You'd be surprised what can be done to rehab a boot. However, at some point it just gets too expensive.

For example: you score a pair of Red Wing 875 of The Bay for $45. The leather is in okay condition but the sole is shot. Well, a new sole is only $75 bucks. So, you're only paying $120 for $175 boots. Oh, but when they are putting the sole on they realize there is some welt repair that needs to be done, another $25. Now you are in $145 on a $175 boot. See, maybe just buy the new boot.

Whites has a really good rebuild service for $150-$200 you can have the sole and vamp replaced on a Whites boot. So, if you are starting with a $400-$450 boot, you may come out on top. I know RW has a rebuild service, but I am unfamiliar with the cost and what it entails. GregNY would take his boots to some guy in NYC that claims to give the boot a complete redo for $100 plus shipping. So that might work, too. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name, Nelson's or something. Search his posts, he posted last a few pages back. His avatar is the face of a Rolex.