Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

do not know how often it was mentioned before, but ...

http://www.cultizm.com/index.php?cat=c12_Red-Wing-Shoes.html&XTCsid=bec5bf7eb4f63a6df5fea04d5e4992a3

209$

I know I know... but I love instant gratification too much... :D

besides I'm glad I has able to try them on before I bought them I was gonna order 9.5 but I ended up getting sz. 9 and they fit perfect! My other shoes haven't seen the light of day since I bought these, but I wanna break these in a good measure before I study abroad in Europe, I'll do a ton of walking over there :)

railman2.jpg

GORGEOUS...

I know I know... but I love instant gratification too much... :D

besides I'm glad I has able to try them on before I bought them I was gonna order 9.5 but I ended up getting sz. 9 and they fit perfect! My other shoes haven't seen the light of day since I bought these, but I wanna break these in a good measure before I study abroad in Europe, ...

where at?!

3 different places, 15 weeks total, Paris first, then Salamanca, then culminating in Rome (each place gets 5 weeks, except for Rome I think will be 6 because I'll have spring break over there :D )

I'm sooooo fucken hyped... I'm gonna travel probably every other weekend to neighboring countries, but I'd def love to see Berlin :)

For the first time on this thread I believe:

The Hathorn Explorer Open Road Engineer boot by Whites:

http://www.whitesboots.com/storecsc/index.php?target=products&product_id=29884

The Open Road is from White's Hathorn Explorer line. What this means is that the uppers are sewn overseas, while the lasting and soling is done at the White's factory in Spokane. These boots are machine lasted rather than hand lasted, but otherwise are made to all the quality spec's of the White's namesake line. They are NOT, however customizable; availible in either the heavy lug sole, or the #430 mini lug vibram only, in an oil tanned black leather with black edge trim. These manufacturing differences make the Open Road an American assembled motorcycle boot of comparable quality to the Boss by Wesco, but at nearly half the price (under $300)

photo-96.jpg

The Open Road is built with the same heel and midsole as all of White's other major models, so the angle of incline is the same, however, they do not have the same, significant, arch support. They are a flatter last, and come standard with a neoprene insole for a little cushion. I ordered my usual White's size of 9D: They fit generously in width. I'd say one full width big. When I first put mine on, my heels slipped out of the back of them easily. After tightening down the instep strap and walking around them for about an hour, the sole softened a bit, and my heel no longer slips. They now fit very comfortably for a slip on boot. Big enough for easy in and out, but stable enough to walk in comfortably without slippage.

photo-97.jpg

photo-99.jpg

photo-101.jpg

photo-102.jpg

Anyone interested in these, I am happy to facilitate orders through White's.. Just shoot me a PM. We are NOT going to be showing these in the store, but if anyone would like a pair, I'm happy to order them for you at the Website quoted price.

Beautiful McCoy's Coleslaw:) I saw these in the Daikanyama store- the build is incredible!

imightbechad's Florsheims look great too- looking forward to more pics!

I went to visit some friends who live in the country today, and we want out for a walk across farmland. Picked a load of watercress in a very boggy field by a stream, walked through quite a few hedges etc etc....

My Alden Cordovan wingtips when we got home:

3016144863_5f2424701c.jpg

and after a bit of TLC:

3016144973_da264ea459.jpg

RodeoWilliam..... Those cordo's with all that dirt on them! Beautiful!

Duh!!

Also forgot to mention.... There are about 5 pair of White's Semi-Dress up on Ebay presently... We're selling off some extra stock. Not a bad opprotunity to get at some White's cheaper and faster....

Beautiful McCoy's Coleslaw:) I saw these in the Daikanyama store- the build is incredible!

imightbechad's Florsheims look great too- looking forward to more pics!

I went to visit some friends who live in the country today, and we want out for a walk across farmland. Picked a load of watercress in a very boggy field by a stream, walked through quite a few hedges etc etc....

My Alden Cordovan wingtips when we got home:

and after a bit of TLC:

That just extremely beautiful. But too bad i cant rep either rodeobill or coleslaw anymore.:)

When did you figure out how to post a pics rodeo bill, it save alot of time from previously clicking the link. First i thought you did linking on purpose because you want us work to appreciate the pics.

That just extremely beautiful. But too bad i cant rep either rodeobill or coleslaw anymore.:)

When did you figure out how to post a pics rodeo bill, it save alot of time from previously clicking the link. First i thought you did linking on purpose because you want us work to appreciate the pics.

thanks fattybfat!

:Dno I wasn;t linking images on purpose! I just couldn't work out how to post direct from flickr (I'm an idiot...) thanks and +rep to soonami for helping me out!

and after a bit of TLC:

RB, those are like a different shoe… good job!

Thanks everyone for the comments on the McCoy's. They fit wide (E) around the toe box, however the heel portion fits pretty much like a D. But it is sized up one half from tagged size, so if anyone is thinking of copping a pair, I would size down half a size from Aldens.

Anyone know of any specific shops in JP that carry these ? My sister will be in Tokyo and some other cities for a study abroad program. ..don't want here wasting her time running around without some sort of direction.. thanks

Toys McCoy:

ma5003-040-1.jpg

So I just placed an order for a pair of Shoes, Service, Russet, Composition Sole from WWII Impressions. If anybody is curious I'll take a few photos and do a short writeup when they arrive.

Also, while I'm on a leather boot buying spree, has anybody heard of Limmer Boot? I remember reading about them in college as the be all and end all of hand crafted hiking boots, based out in New Hampshire. Apparently they also make Oxfords that are the exact style that I've been looking for (simple, no frills). At $199 per pair, it's not bad compared to, say, Alden Chukkas if stories I've heard of Limmers are true.

^I'm sure a lot of people (including me) would be interested in seeing pics and reading a review of the repro boots.

I'd never heard of Limmer, so I looked up their website; here's a pic of their oxfords for everyone to check out:

lmoxford.jpg

Norwegian welt construction, according to the site. They remind me a lot of Dr. Martens (which I have nothing against).

At $199 per pair, it's not bad compared to, say, Alden Chukkas if stories I've heard of Limmers are true.

What stories? There are lots of people with 20 year old Limmers singing their praises. My RTW Standards dropped dead after two years. If you wear them only on summer weekends they will last you a very long time.

First learning about Limmers might be the moment that I credit with first being interested in shoes other than sneakers...

I was about 11 and went to a summer camp in central Vermont. One of the older counselors was a man who had hiked around all of the 48 contiguous states. And by "hiked around" I mean he had literally hiked the length of the country more than once! A serious mountainman- he sewed his own clothes, certainly didn't own a car, and could fit all that he did own into his backpack. One of the only things, he told me, that was worth spending money on was a good pair of boots. And he always got custom made Limmers. He would call ahead and tell the guys that work in the factory to prepare him another pair of boots to his specifications and measurements, which he had long ago provided them. Then in a few months he hike into Intervale New Hampshire, where they are located and pick up his boots. If for some reason they weren't finished, he would simply turn around and hike away for another few months until they were done.

He did everything in his boots- at the time he told me that he had owned 5 or 6 pairs- each pair had lasted him about 5 years. Which, when you consider that this was a guy who wore his boots practically 24 hours a day, hiked and rock climbed in them perpetually, and never, never, conditioned them, seems like a pretty good lifespan.

The fitting process is apparently pretty elaborate. They used ask that you come in and they would measure your foot in person, but in recent years they started doing fittings by mail as well as standard sized, not-made-to-fit boots. All of the pairs that I ever saw the mountainman of my childhood wear looked like their most rugged, heavyduty pair:

smallstandard.jpg

all that being said- I don't find them particularly exciting or beautiful for anything other than the passion of the bootmakers and the durability and quality of the product. They look, at best, average in the overall scheme of things, but thanks to my early exposure, they certainly hold a very special place in my heart...

Anyone know of any specific shops in JP that carry these ? My sister will be in Tokyo and some other cities for a study abroad program. ..don't want here wasting her time running around without some sort of direction.. thanks

Toys McCoy:

ma5003-040-1.jpg

I would try the Toys McCoy store first in Ebisu. Its right next to the train tracks and an antiques store. Its also really close to the Ebisu train station on the JR Yamanote line. I think the exact address is on the web site.

Then I would suggest Ueno and Ameyayokocho. You'll find some stores that carry Toys McCoy I think.

So I've got a pair of LL Bean Katahdin Iron Works Engineer boots - the leather is described as oily, and it certainly seems that way in real life. Can't get pics up now, but would anyone recommend treating these with sno-seal or some other leather protector? Seems kind of overkill if the leather is soft and oiled to begin with.

So I've got a pair of LL Bean Katahdin Iron Works Engineer boots - the leather is described as oily, and it certainly seems that way in real life. Can't get pics up now, but would anyone recommend treating these with sno-seal or some other leather protector? Seems kind of overkill if the leather is soft and oiled to begin with.

I'd say Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. It's naturally absorbed by the leather and does a fair job of protecting it.