Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

^ one thing that i do not wear chelsea boot because of the experience with the elastic part, it tends to stretch alot over time. It happen with my RW. And i can see that you have done a very good polishing job and you do walk a lot too. I really like the 2nd and 3rd pics. Very shiney and beautiful.

I know what you mean. But I got these marked down a lot in the Dunhill sale, and they were already pretty old (although unworn), and the elastic had already stretched like that. It doesn;t seem to have got any worse since... anyway I was told by a friend of mine who works in a Jermyn St shoe shop that it's pretty easy to replace the elastic if you need to:)

thanks and glad you like them!

They're pretty heavy when you hold them fattybfat, much heavier than RW 875 and a bit heavier than Indy's, i don't have any Tricker's (yet)

I have to say mine are double leather with cat's paws soles.

But surprisingly, you don't seem notice anything of the heaviness when walking in them, maybe it's because they make your feet stand in such a natural position and have a great arch support.

I'd say the same about my Alden cordovan boots. Both pairs feel scarily heavy when you pick them up, but by the time you're walking in them you forget about it. It could be the foot position as you say Mich, or I guess it could just be that you quickly get used to the extra weight.

Lovely Whites by the way- I'm very tempted as well- and I think they're relatively not all THAT expensive right? about US$300? where/how did you get yours?

I'd say the same about my Alden cordovan boots. Both pairs feel scarily heavy when you pick them up, but by the time you're walking in them you forget about it. It could be the foot position as you say Mich, or I guess it could just be that you quickly get used to the extra weight.

Lovely Whites by the way- I'm very tempted as well- and I think they're relatively not all THAT expensive right? about US$300? where/how did you get yours?

Thanks, i got mine from a fellow sufu member tbh. , i was very lucky since they were taken care off so well that they looked and felt like new, and he also had the good taste to equip them with some cat's paws soles and heels.

The cuban heels were also replaced by straighter ones, which gives them a whole differerent profile.

I think SD are usually around $450 through Bill from the Stronghold, but for that price you can even get them customized to your likings :)

They are my favorite pair of boots tbh.

^^ they look great with the natural sole edges, and I can understand having a straight heel makes them more versatile :) I know a lot of people here aren;t that keen, but for me that cuban heel on the semidress is one of it's best bits, although I'd be worried it's a bit high. thanks a lot for the info!

Hey, is there any further talk about the cigar plain toe boots from a few pages back? Was there ever any consensus on that? I'm just hankering for a pair of non-chukka cigar boots. I have the chukka, and they're great, but I prefer something higher and with a sleeker look.

Incidentally, is anyone interested in a pair Tricker's Stows in Espresso? They are UK size 10 and about 7 months old with very little wear. I'll take some pics of them and maybe put them up in the Supermarket.

Ain't Alden's, but I figured I'd share. Courtesy of Bill from Stronghold.

whitespackers.jpg

any chance of these in fit picture with a pair of nice samurai s5000 or anything similar?

Edmond...

I hope you aren't getting any crazy ideas with those packers

Ok this is going to sound odd, but does anyone here have really small feet?

The reason I ask is that I was in TK max earlier today an they had a pair of black grenson brogues (UK made too I think) for £30, which is a steal. The catch is that they are a size Uk 5.5 which is ridiculously small and far too small for me. I just thought id ask if anyone was interested on the off chance that someone on here had rather small feet.

hey everyone, unfortunately I have to let go of the Alden cigar chukka's I bought recently. After wearing them twice (once I almost got hit by a car because I kept staring at my feet), I have reluctantly determined that they are too small for me. I will probably regret this but anyways I have put them up for sale here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=85406

If you have smaller sized feet these may work for you, otherwise you can just drool at the pictures I posted. cheers. feel free to PM me here on sufu as well if you are interested in them.

If they were 7Ds and I was less broke...or mostly if I was just less broke...

hey everyone, unfortunately I have to let go of the Alden cigar chukka's I bought recently. After wearing them twice (once I almost got hit by a car because I kept staring at my feet), I have reluctantly determined that they are too small for me. I will probably regret this but anyways I have put them up for sale here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=85406

Since they're small, you could probably put them on ebay and get more for them. I once sold some used cigar longwings (that had commando soles) for just under $500 on ebay, and they were an 11.5 D.

hhmmm..

just got these tony lamas for 1/3 of the price

ken19650425-img450x600-1224982137ia.jpg

blimey:eek:! I have to say these aren;t for me, but Tony Lama look to make really great stuff, so I'm sure they'll be good quality. I'd love to see closeups of the workmanship as well as fit pics if you have time Edmond.

You might be able to do 10D in the GTs since they do happen to run a bit wide.

If you want a pair in black cherry, send me a PM.

I need some sizing advice for red wing gt and whites semi dress!

I wear:

10 EE (a bit big) in red wing 8130

9 in clarks desert boots

9,5 in converse chucks

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. GTs don't run wide from my experience. My 1909s are long and a little narrow. My 875 based 1907s are the wider of the two. I don't think anyone who wears an EE in an 875 style RW could comfortably fit into the same size in GTs. But I'd suggest trying them on somewhere to be sure.

My own experience is that my 11 1/2 D 1909s are slightly longer and narrower than my 11 1/2 D 1907s (meaning it'd be painful if I had sized down due to my somewhat wide feet). I actually followed forum advice first with my 1907s and sized down a half size because I heard the 875 runs big but had to exchange them because they were too small and uncomfortable. Now I feel both my Red Wings are close to the right size at my true boot/dress shoe size of 11 1/2 (I never go by my sneaker size, which is 12 in most brands). However, I wish RW offered the GT line in E widths because I think I'd be a perfect 11E in them.

I'm going to agree with Curious George as well.

the GTs I have are rather long and narrow (I'd say more like a C than a D). But if you live near a redwing store they will order the GTs for you for no shipping cost, and if they don't fit they will keep them. I don't believe they can order the 1900 series, but you can get the 9011-9014 which are the non horween leather versions, but should be the same size.

Hey everyone, work stuff has been keeping me really busy lately, but I wanted to post the results of my experience with the Alden Restoration Service.

To recap: I'd bought a pair of old Alden 901s on eBay for about $50, and called Alden to request the Restoration kit. (You can see my pics of the shoes and kit on pages 427 and 441) They completely rebuild the shoes, resole them, and refinish them, and send them back to you with a new box, laces, shoe bag, and shoe trees (all of which I was missing).

The service costs $135 and turnaround is 4-6 weeks. I figured that if they came out well, it would still end up being less than half of what they cost new ($379), so I gave it a shot. Anyway, on to the pics...

New box, bag, and trees:

DSC_0002.JPG

To me, they look virtually new:

DSC_0002_2.JPG

DSC_0004_3.JPG

DSC_0007_2.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

The insoles and soles are stamped "Alden Restoration":

DSC_0009_2.JPG

DSC_0001_2.JPG