Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit (STF)

SLEEZY

• 2 weeks later...
7 month update, as promised. This is after 7 washes. Good god these jeans hold indigo like no one's business.

I'll try to get some natural light pics soon, none of these really show the true color and contrast

Looks good

I just started on a pair of indigos and sands. Sands didn't shrink as much but the honeycombs set a lot better. Will post pics once both see a lot more wear.

I've had a pair of 501 STF's that I've been wearing since last xmas. They are coming along but as I have to wear business attire during the work week, they just don't get worn as much as I'd like. Additionally, I went TTT rather than sized down so they are looser than I'd like. I should've gone with the recs here rather than the Levi store salesperson.

I did an initial soak and they've been washed twice (at about 5 & 8 months). I always hang dry but keep wondering why the dryer is so bad. I understand that repeated washing will result in less contrast but how can the dryer on low affect the wear patterns? I figure the dryer will shrink them up a bit after weeks of stretching from wear. Snugger fit should help with developing combs and whiskers, right? Additionally, with a dryer sheet, it'll even help with the smell. What am I missing about the dryer?

Sometimes they get these thin stripes from being tumbled around so much, looks like veins almost. They also get a really weird looking snowy top-fades like when you dry other clothing too much.

Also may just be broscience but continuous tumbling sounds like it would add more wear and weaken the denim yarns.

I have to agree. All of those with black wefts look really nice. A very high end look for a less expensive jean.

Shrinking the leg opening in lieu of tapering, is that what you mean? If so, I doubt this will work.

My bro bought me some made in turkey selvedge STF. They seem huge: any ideas how much shrink I'll get? 32 waist / 34 inseam. I've some deadstock early 80s redlines in the same size that I don't wear much 'cause they hardly shrank at all and would rather send 'em back and size down than have another pair I don't wear...

Sorry if there's loads of answers in the thread already - I've had a dig but I couldn't find anything.

Also, any ideas where they source the denim from for the turkish STF?

I was under the impression that even the 2008+ 501 still uses some type of Cone, but I also heard a while ago that they use locally produced denim, ie Mexican factory uses Mexican, Indian factory uses Indian.

I saw a video tour of an Indian mill's dyeing process, I remember them claiming some association to Levi's but maybe I'm remembering wrong and it was Lee.

thinking about picking up a pair of Levi’s 511 STF but don’t know how to size. I wear a 33 or a 34 on the waist and a 30 on length. Should I go tts on the waist and just size up on the length and then just soak it while wearing them in the tub. What size should I get. I want a skinny fit, not to baggy, but not looking like leggings either.