Fallow Denim: Handmade in Britain

UkeNo

Has anyone else seen or heard of these jeans?

Fallow Denim: Handmade In Britain

falo.jpg

http://www.fallowdenim.com/

I looked at a pair this weekend and they were very nice indeed.

Japanese Denim handmade in Britain with four cuts; Taper/Loose/Regular/Slim.

I might buy a pair soon. I would be interested to know if anyone has any experience with this Brand?

Thanks

I nearly spit out my ginger/sp tea seeing that kaleidoscope. My monitor looks warped even now :(.

Also not to insult their business model at all but why stress the fact that they're made in Britain but use Japanese denim. Though I can't imagine English denim would be too distinguishable.

I like their website. What's wrong with somebody else wanting to make jeans, bluegoldblues?

Guess I need to be patriotic here and support english fashion, but please there are too many denim brands as it is offering the same bloody product. This is no different.

loose9-300.png

Exposed selvage makes me cringe, reminds me of counterfeit levi's from thailand, seems to be a trend these days.. or I'm just too old school.

BlueGoldBlues... The exposed Selvage is only on their Loose cut.

Im sure their Straight or Slim cut would appeal more to you then - for Traditional Design Values, these cuts and the Tapered cut - which is more of a Carrot, have no exposed Selvage pocketing and even feature, in their own words..."Washer & Burr Rivets That Scratch Things"

This is a nice design sentiment that harks back to the way Jeans were originally made. Doesn't it?

I for one am really pleased to see a British Denim brand emerging, and I think the fact that they have four standard cuts and a Womens cut tells us that they're serious about their Designs and the people that will be wearing them.

I've looked at both the Loose and Straight and was impressed by them, I think i'll be getting a Straight pair (maybe one size up) to get the best of both.

When i first saw them my initial reaction was; it'll be nice to have a pair of jeans made by someone from where i live.

For an Englishman who wears Roy's/Edwin/Levis/Carhartt Fallow will be a welcome addition.

Off to do some Research....will post more details when I find them.

Cheers

They look ok from the pictures, there are features that mean I wouldn't buy them myself (exposed selvage, funny coloured stitching).

They don't really bring anything new or interesting to the table though apart from the fact they are made in Britain. I dunno, I think they need more of a hook to make it as a start up denim brand.

ROY has his uniqueness and hence catches the imagination, Rising sun (how long have they been around?) have their reproduction of unusual historic pieces. MF has his crazy detailing..... oh and tender have the insane attention to detail and interesting cuts and detailing...... Otherwise many people will just stick to buying established, well regarded Japanese brands.

They are probably not aiming at the denim fetishist market though, just the current trend for selvage denim/workwear, so all that is irrelevant i suppose.

BTW Albam is a fantastic shop/brand and their denim is pretty good by all accounts.

qVaII.png

I've been wondering when someone would answer my prayer to make a raw selvage robbery mask. Finally!

They also make a lovely one for women. Combined with their cloak and I think you'll be ready for any outdoor shenanigans you can imagine.

Well dressed people roaming the woods at twilight is what Englands all about!

BlueGoldBlues... The exposed Selvage is only on their Loose cut.

Im sure their Straight or Slim cut would appeal more to you then - for Traditional Design Values, these cuts and the Tapered cut - which is more of a Carrot, have no exposed Selvage pocketing and even feature, in their own words..."Washer & Burr Rivets That Scratch Things"

This is a nice design sentiment that harks back to the way Jeans were originally made. Doesn't it?

I for one am really pleased to see a British Denim brand emerging, and I think the fact that they have four standard cuts and a Womens cut tells us that they're serious about their Designs and the people that will be wearing them.

I've looked at both the Loose and Straight and was impressed by them, I think i'll be getting a Straight pair (maybe one size up) to get the best of both.

When i first saw them my initial reaction was; it'll be nice to have a pair of jeans made by someone from where i live.

For an Englishman who wears Roy's/Edwin/Levis/Carhartt Fallow will be a welcome addition.

Off to do some Research....will post more details when I find them.

Cheers

jeans are an American invention - I can't see why having them made in the UK is any kind of USP. Neither is using Japanese denim.

If they'd taken more of a Brit slant - like Nigel Cabourn, Heritage Research, Percival, I could see it working. For instance, straight front pockets, like the Roy x Cone, to evoke more of a naval feel, somewhere where Britain has heritage. And, yup, exposed watchpocket selvage makes them look like Thai or Indonesian fakes.

I e-mailed Bronaugh Keegan at Fallow to ask about their Jeans and was sent a very friendly and thankful reply with some details.

Turns out they are based in Brighton here on the UK's South Coast. Home of Brighton Rock, Seaside Amusements, Mod's and Rockers and all that other good Stuff.

Anyway this is the what they're aiming for:

Taken from Fallow's Press Release...

“We started Fallow to offer a high-end style solution for the ethical denim consumer – something we felt was missing in the UK marketplace. We have sourced selvedge denim from the renowned Kaihara Mill in Japan and shipped it back to the UK, where it’s cut and hand-made into Fallow exacting designs. We hope this will go some way to rekindling the dying embers of British Manufacturing ”

Bronagh Keegan, Fallow (Joint Creative Director)

The Principle seems to be there to support British Maufacturing, which the British were in days-gone-by, world renowned for. Secondary Industries such as manufacturing and textiles were what we did well and on a large scale, nowadays this (sadly) isn't the case.

The fact that Fallow are making they're Jeans in the UK is by the looks of it, because they believe in British industry. Sure they could have had them hand made in Japan, but this wouldn't have been original at all, this way they are British Made and designed, using what is (debatably) some of the best denim available. I think that sounds good to me.

Some of the Details of the Denim interest me as well, some of them are good staple design features and a couple are original as far as im aware (?)

13.75oz & 13.25oz Kaihara Mill Indigo Selvedge Denim. This had a really nice feel to it - the main reason they caught my eye.

regular5.png

The hand branded Deerskin Patch. Fallow is a type of Deer (Dama Dama) apparently.

fallow_deer_group.jpg

regular3.png

Powder coated Fly Button with Copper Back - this is supposed to wear and age nicely. Hopefully that'll make each pair look a little different.

regular7.png

Exposed Copper Washer and Burr Rivets and Two-Tone Stitching.

regular4.png

The Pocket Bags are hand printed and Rear pockets are lined.

Thats why I think these jeans look good. It'll be easier to explain when i've got a pair and can actually describe how the cut fits and what they feel and wear like

Thanks Folks

@ Megatron1505 and beautiful_FrEaK...

I see what you mean...but I honestly don't work for them. I've only moved to Brighton recently.

Just quite pleased to see Jeans being made on my doorstep is all.

The reason im interested is that I saw these in my favorite Brighton Shop; Peggs&Sons http://www.peggsandson.com/

and thought id do a little research as Peggs&Sons are quite discerning about the brands they carry and it spiked my interest.

Then I sent them an e-mail to ask if they had any info - this was the same time as I started the SUFU thread to see if anyone knew about them. As it turns out no-one did and I came by the information first.

At the Moment, I myself, am a Roy's man having just got a pair of his RS01's from Self edge at the beginning of Feb - Thread to follow at some point, have spoken to Roy too - just the same as I have the Fallow guys. I usually try to find out what the deal is when I'm interested in something.

Hope that clears it up?

• 1 year later...

Denim they use is really nice - does anyone know if the regular or loose fit comes in the waxed finish?

Just checked their site out and it turns out whatever I tried on was their regular fit - the cut was very slim fitting on me - I would of described them as almost like skinny jeans.

the wax finished is the most interesting thing but that cuts not for me.

Edited by cool_hand

Interesting. I totally missed this thread last year. Weird vibe from the look book, but the stuff looks decent. It's easy to sneer at "yet another denim company", but as long as they turn out a good product, I don't have anything but love for a small company trying to do something well. Price seems decent, too. Who are these guys? Any background in the denim industry?

Oh, and uke-- you don't have to justify starting this thread if no one had. I trust the mods to figure out if people are not on the level. I'd rather people pm to ask those kinds of questions and not post and assume, but whatever.

Edited by grooveholmes

• 10 months later...

To ressurect an old thread I just picked up a pair of these cheap off eBay new and am very happy so far. Fit on the slim is really nice, bit slimmer than I usually go for but still looks good. Detailing and construction seems spot on. Though I'll never be a fan of scratchy rivets particularly on the watch pocket making the main right pocket awkward, Ukeno I notice they quote you on their tag!

Edited by simwells